Kitchens - Bunnings / Ikea / Kitchen Guy

I have a regional property that I'm looking to increase yield on through some improvements. Tossing up between kitchen and or bathroom.

Has anyone got any views on a Bunnings or Ikea kitchen versus a regular Kitchen guy? I'm fairly handy and should be able to install something myself.

Are the much cheaper and is the quality OK?

Looked at both Bunnings and Ikea - went with Mr Ply&Wood for flatpak. Bigger range, better service and same price as Bunnings. Cheaper than Ikea and they delivered!

If both bath and kitchen need doing - I'd do the kitchen and just give the bathroom a spruce with a paint, new grout and shower curtain (if required)

Hi

We are also looking at a kitchen for rental. We priceed bunnings but have actually got a good one from Ebay out at Dural for $900!

Have to remove it ourselves...well husband does....but it is ten times better than the one we have in there currently and twenty years younger!

Regards JO

If it is a cheap rental property (even if not - but not penthouse or $1mill place) use the $749 bunnings flat pack. If you have access to bunnings builders account will cost $649.

Does the job and looks fresh and modern.

Second hand you spend lots of time in labour, dismantling, transporting and trying to make it fit.

If it is a cheap rental property (even if not - but not penthouse or $1mill place) use the $749 bunnings flat pack. If you have access to bunnings builders account will cost $649.

Does the job and looks fresh and modern.

Second hand you spend lots of time in labour, dismantling, transporting and trying to make it fit.

The problem with those though, is that they are so damn small. Personally I prefer the ones that you can get from Paradise Kitchens (or similar). Under $2k and they look good.

Of course, it depends on the quality of the IP AND the tenants too. ;)

Ive used the Flat Pack Bunnings Kitchens twice and The Mitre 10 kitchens and the Mitre 10 is much better quality. They have only been selling them a very short time.

In actual fact the Bunnings one had to be almost completely re-done (by them at their cost) about 6 months after it was installed because the back of an island bench completely delaminated. I like gloss white kitchens so we always went with the Bunnings gloss white not realising that it is just Vynil wrap. Its OK if you dont have to cut anything but as soon as you do any cutting it just disintegrates. Its cr@p quality. Also to get the Flat Pax rep to come out was an absolute nightmare. I cant blame him though this particuar kitchen ended up costing Bunnings about $1500(edited for locko24! thanks)

The Mitre 10 product is at least gloss polyurethane. Its a bit more expensive but definately worth it. My brother who is our builder also told us that the Mister Ply and Wood product was good but they didnt have the gloss white that i like.

Last edited:
1.5 million? wow! ;)

I'm waiting on a quote from a local kitchen guy - should come in way cheaper than bunnings, and I don't have to do a thing!

We have installed two flatpack Ikea kitchen cabinet sets and one flatpack kitchen cabinet set from Kitset and I have to say that Ikea's installation instructions are more detailed, if you are reliant on instructions. Ikea screw hardware is much better and more suitable than Kitsets'. Importantly, Ikea pre-drill their screw and dowel holes, which made assembly much easier than Kitset. With Kitset we had to use reference square edge on internal angles to maintain square befiore fastening. As Ikea use dowels + screws, We found this more reliable than having to use screws only on Kitset. Rear panel of Kitset cabinets is 16mm chipboard vs. 3mm mdf on Ikea, so arguably they could be structurally stronger, except they dont allow for securing the back panel to the base panel, a big oversight which we had to correct. But after installing Ikea units, there's no real problem, key is to secure them (and kitset)to studs in walls if heavy items are loaded in them.

Kitset claim to use HMR chipboard, and will not warrant for outside use even if totally undercover. With both, we prefer to use a DWD intergrain sealer to mitigate/delay moisture entry into panel (sawn) end grain, but this will cause minor end grain swelling which you'll need to lightly rub back to maintain tight it assembly.

Kitset have flexibility to make custom sizes - Ikea no way, made in china/offshore. Summary: if you want it now and can work with standard sizes, then Ikea. If you can wait for your order and want HMR/stronger back panel then Kitset. Check your pricing...p.s. Bunnings cabinet finish is ordinary IMHO, and not necessarily cheapest option..check hinge/runner quality.

Back