Kitchens - where to buy?

So it looks like the planets may align and our tenants leave just before hubby is in Brisbane on contract for 8 weeks. We've got an old, run down 3bedroom Queenslander in Kedron. Amongst other things we're looking to put in a new (cheap) kitchen.
So who's had what experiences with
- Ikea?
-Bunnings?
- Flat Pack custom made
- Other
- Second Hand (and if good - where to source?)

How would you rate them on
- price
- ease of installation
- quality
- any other considerations

Previously when we did the new kitchen in our house in Canberra we had a $200 second hand kitchen installed. Realise most likely won't be that cheap again, but want to look at various options.

What we found good with second hand
- knew what we were getting
- could pick the bits we wanted and have spares for if doors etc get damaged in future (kitchen was larger than we needed)
- cabinets were already assembled
-cheap - $200 for a kitchen (included sink but we ended up buying a new one)

Downside
- Harder to relocate (several large trailer and ute loads)
- Had to make it fit right (easy in this case but can see how it could be an issue in future)

Was sourced off a work colleague at the time who was just happy to get something for it and someone to take it away.

i found mr ply & wood to be around the same price as bunning/ikea, but had a larger range of cabinet sizes, shapes and finishes.

Sorry but gotta ask, what is your defination of cheap? $500 or $5000.

I would look in the weekend shopper there has been some good kitchens showing up not sure of the shape you are looking at but worth a shot.

Brian

Ta Brian and Lizzie

Value would be a better term than cheap. Ie if I can get a good kitchen second hand for $600 or so it would be great value, if I have to go new, the cheapest may be bunnings or ikea - but each have their own pitfalls.

i knew what you were meaning. i definately wouldn't go "cheap" as usually they look cheap and don't last.

i once put in a 2nd hand kitchen and swore never again. the mucking around to make it fit was more trouble than i was worth - needed to get new benchtops anyhow, and it still looked like an old kitchen.

i guess it all depends on the quality of the rest of the house - a new kitchen would look out of place if the rest of the house is tired (and staying that way), but a 2nd hand or cheap/nasty kitchen in a house that's just been reno'd would as much out of place.

eBay can be a good source of secondhand kitchens - plenty of pictures to help you see what you're getting. I think whether it's a realistic alternative, though, often depends on the space you have to put a kitchen in.
We've looked at it a couple of times for our place for a temporary improvement, but our kitchen is long and thin - galley-style, I suppose - and I haven't seen one that exactly fits our measurements. If you had an open room or a more flexible space, it'd probably be easier.
As to Ikea, a friend who is renovating priced one for her place recently - and found it wasn't all that cheap (this is for a PPOR). It was almost as cheap to go to a local cabinet maker and get one tailor-made that he will install.

Try:

Second Chance Kitchen Warehouse New & Used Kitchens

(07) 3391 7733
Kangaroo Point, Brisbane

Never used them or know of anyone who has, but they have been around for quite a few years.
Marg

I agree with Lizzie re the second hand option. We did it once. Lots of mucking around getting it to fit. Wasted 2 days. It was just 2 sides so a bit easier. Our next one is U shape so not much chance of getting an exact fit. Saw a few great ones on Ebay but sink was in the middle of the U (all of them). Ours is on the RH side.

So we've decided to go new. Bunnings had what I want on display. Kitchen $2,800, bench $2165. I got a price from a kitchen mob for $3,000.

Hey Mooze,

I pullout kitchens for a living (hence BKR - Brisbane Kitchen Removals) and when I get the odd good one I put it on ebay. Other then that, theres the Trading Post and The Courier Mails Weekend Shopper. You usually see a few kitchens in them each week. If your going to pull it out you can probably get it cheap. Thats the only places I know where you will get them for around $600 but like everyone said, trying to fit one into a U shape is going to be trouble.

Second Chance buys kitchen up to 10yrs old so they can match the colour/parts and they make panels and install if you want. They are just down from the Story Bridge pub on Main St. They usually have a fair few in stock but I think you would be looking around 1k and up for the kitchen alone.

Btn Bunnings and Ikea, the last time I looked, Bunnings ones had solid 16mm backings where Ikea were 3mm whiteboard. If you wanted to screw an overhead cabinet to a stud and its in the middle of the carcuss the 3mm stuff wouldn't hold so I would prefer Bunnings.

You could also try Kit Kitchens at Salisbury 3255 5400 but your starting to move up on the $ now.

ARMS on this site could be a go. He has a kitchen company at Ipswich and does flatpack also. PM him to see what he can do.

Regards,
Chris

i have put in 2 small bunning kitchen and laundry. white gloss.The last kitchen the installer wanted the bench pre cut from a particular company that sells only benches.which was better. I think they are great value for money. Although in my own home I have a 'better' more expensive kitchen.
Tip look at the cost of end panels ...with the gloss white i didn't alway have to use them..save heaps.

Back