Kung Hei Fat Choi

That's how you wish someone the best for the Lunar New Year celebrated in some parts of the world.

It is the year of the Rat.....very good in business the Rat. All the best to the ratties of our forum.

*insert cymbals and lion dancer here*

We are celebrating Tet (Vietnamese New Year, same date as Chinese New Year) this evening with a feast of delicious Vietnamese foods, which I can smell cooking now. We are blessed to have as housemates a Vietnamese family (Mum and Dad, about our age, and their two kids, about our kids' ages).

Just off to finish tidying the house for the traditional "lucky first visitor" to our house, a mutual friend of all of ours, a local elderly lady named Enid. (No brooms allowed though - sweeps away the good luck!)

Tiền vô như nước! ("may money flow like water") :D

We are blessed to have as housemates a Vietnamese family (Mum and Dad, about our age, and their two kids, about our kids' ages).

That's cool Ozperp. Take my hat off to you, despite our different views on other stuff.

Have lived in similar circumstances before and it is only an extremely enriching and warm experience. Plus Vietnamese has surpassed Thai as my favourite food in the universe....

....and Happy Ratting Year too :)

Also, a little something:

Happy Birthday Wish-ga..and.....just because it's fun:

Brazil: Parabéns a você! nesta data querida muitas felicidades e muitos anos de vida.

Chinese-Cantonese: Sun Yat Fai Lok!

Chinese-Mandarin: sheng ri kuai le!

Croatian: Sretan Rodendan!

Czech: Vsechno nejlepsi k Tvym narozeninam!!

Danish: Tillykke med fodselsdagen!

Dutch: Hartelijk gefeliciteerd! or Van harte gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag!

Esperanto: Felichan Naskightagon!

Farsi: Tavalodet Mobarak!

Finnish: Hyvaa syntymapaivaa!

French (Canada): Bonne Fete!

French: Joyeux Anniversaire!

German: Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!

Greek: Eytyxismena Genethlia! or Chronia Pola!

Hawaiian: Hau`oli la hanau!

Hebrew: Yom Huledet Same'ach!

Hungarian: Boldog szuletesnapot! or Isten eltessen!

Italian: Buon Compleanno!

Japanese: Otanjou-bi Omedetou Gozaimasu!

Russian: S dniom razhdjenia! or Pazdravliayu s dniom razhdjenia!

Spanish: Feliz Cumpleaños!

Swedish: Grattis på födelsedagen

Taiwanese: San leaz quiet lo!

Thai: Suk San Wan Keut!

Ukrainian: Mnohiya lita! or Z dnem narodjennia!

Hopefully they are close translations of happy birthday and I haven't just asked you to carpet the henhouse with abalone. :p

Last edited:
That's cool Ozperp. Take my hat off to you, despite our different views on other stuff.

Have lived in similar circumstances before and it is only an extremely enriching and warm experience. Plus Vietnamese has surpassed Thai as my favourite food in the universe....
Thank you, WW, for your kind words.

We are very blessed to have an ideal living situation, in my view. It wasn't planned, and couldn't have been planned as well as it turned out. We have 8 people living in our house, from two very different cultures, and it works exceedingly well for all of us. And it's very easy, we're not all gritting our teeth - it just works. Though it's essential not to sweat the small stuff! If you're obsessive about order and housekeeping, don't try it.

We can provide a home and add-ons (Foxtel, broadband, pool, etc) that our friends couldn't afford living independently, we help with English language and navigating local customs and government departments, and I drive all the kids to/from school (3 schools!). I suffer chronic migraine (ie daily :( but very grateful not life-limiting), and our friends are very helpful in caring for the kids when I'm not well. They also help defray our living costs a bit through their rent, and enrich our lives with their love and by sharing their culture with us.

It's not for everybody, and I don't think we could make it work with most of our other friends or family. :rolleyes: But for the 8 of us, it works incredibly well. Every day I'm grateful for our mutually beneficial arrangement.

And the Vietnamese banquet last night was just delicious. :D The thing that I particularly love about Vietnamese food is that you never feel that bloated over-full feeling, even if you pig out, because it's so fresh and light. It's divine.

Thank you so much for all the effort and time you put into your tidings. Much appreciated. Muchos gracias etc, etc.....:D

*humming*

*swinging legs*

We've just had a rat infestation in our ceiling, and following a pest control visit, one of the little furry friends has died in a wall cavity and the stench is just beginning.....:(

Consequently, rats are not in our best books at the moment...:D

wish-ga

Hope you have a great birthday!!! Sorry I can't do any fancy languages to wish you a great day ..... :D

Modal Harmony

Know how you feel - we had a possum die in the roof of an IP. First indication was maggots falling out of the exhaust fan in the bathroom. :eek: Tenant was not impressed!!!

Hubby was even less impressed when he climbed up in the roof to investigate ... especially since we had just paid the pest people to get the possums out of the roof!!! :mad:

Cheers
LynnH

Happy B'day Wish Ga!

I am hosting small family dinner tonight for CNY. I had no idea what to cook so did a combi of Malaysian and Korean..lol..omg..hope they like it.

Bak Kut teh (malaysian)..like a pork rib stew in medicinal herbs with chinese mushrooms
Hokkien Mee (the Malaysian type..I'm addicted to it. Unfortunately, mine taste no where as good as KL one)
Korean Spicy Rice Cake
and Bulgogi wrapped with lettuce (korean marinated beef)

Best memories of CNY was collecting all the 'lai se' red packets...now I have to give instead :( ..and playing with fire crackers in malaysia when i was young but it's banned now...

Back