laminare doors versus vacuum formed PVC

Hi all,

I am currently building an IP (slab poured on 22Feb08) and I recently received an offer from the kitchen cabinet supplier offering me a free upgrade to "PVC Vacuum Form Arrised Edge Doors" from the standard laminate.

They sent a sample and from what I can see the main benefit is that there are no strips of laminate required on the edges of the door as the plastic (PVC) coating wraps around the edges. This seems to be a plus for longevity of the doors.

Now call me cynical but why would a company who already has my business (they are the supplier to the builder) call and offer me a free upgrade?

Two things spring to mind.

1. It's not really an upgrade and I am being wowed by fancy words.
2. It is cheaper for them to manufacture (more profit) but may actually be a better product (a win for both of us)

Can anyone give me guidance on this?

Are vacuum formed PVC doors better than laminate?

Are they tougher?, longer lasting?

My personal belief is that they do seem to be a better option but the cynic in me has trouble believing that a company would offer me a better product at no extra cost. Maybe it really is option 2!!

Any input/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Darren

hiya Darren...

Vinyl wrapped doors are an upgrade from the standard laminate. They have a much nicer finish and no edging to fall off. They are also more versatile in regards to mouldings etc as they are made of MDF and then "shrink wrapped" with the vinyl. You cant do this with normal lammy doors for obvious reasons.
In perth, there are only a few places that supply the whole market so they are more expensive over here...Im not sure howmany manufacturers there are in Adelaide...
hope this helps:)

Boods

Last edited:
laminate V's PVS

Thanks for the reply Boods,

I decided to go with the PVC doors. They certainly looked better and I could see the advantages (no edge strip etc).

regards
Darren

Back