Land component of your apartments.

If you own any apartments, I'd love to know their land component (total lot size / number of units). Mine follow.

PPOR (Sydney, Inner West):
  • 50sqm internal
  • 65sqm land
  • 1.3 x ratio

IP1 (Sydney, Inner West):
  • 66sqm internal
  • 57sqm land
  • 0.86 x ratio

One thing that I always look at is this ratio:

value of land / number of units, which is site value in Brisbane / number of units. Combining this with an internal space measure, especially things like the 2nd bedroom which can often be small, is a good way of bench marking I have found.

Thanks for that. Always useful to know.

For my own records and based on quick calcs, the value of land for each of these is:

PPOR:
$115k (28% of property value)

IP:
$100k (20% of property value)

Do I prorata the land based on how big the apartment is or just divide the land by the number of apartments?

Land is 249sqm, apartment 1 is 74.5, apartment 2 is 74.5 and apartment 3 is 66.5

At least in Victoria the council rates notice gives the land value component of properties (ie UCV versus CIV). Not sure about other states.

If you find a liveable house for only slightly more than land value then it may be a good buy. Council valuations can lag changes in property prices so in the early stages of a boom they may be too low.

Thanks for that. Always useful to know.

For my own records and based on quick calcs, the value of land for each of these is:

PPOR:
$115k (28% of property value)

IP:
$100k (20% of property value)
I'm looking for 30%+ in strata property and 50%+ in housing, have seen strata as high as 50%, ratios that are too high usually mean the dwelling is very basic at best, ie: a development site that might have a knock down house on it. Needs interpretation but one of the figures I'm looking at always.

Back