Landlord Doesn't Deliver

Moved into a new property 3 weeks ago. Internet connection was part of the agreement and mentioned in the contract.

Upon signage of the contract it turned out that I can't have access to WiFi the landlord initially thought I would.

The landlord offers to set up TPG connection asking me to share the installation cost and pay extra $30 per month. TPG runs into trouble with Telstra. Telstra delays the installation for 2 weeks now.

What do I do? I need Internet for work.

The landlord wants me to cover his losses (TPG fees of $350) and find someone else to take on my contract if I want to move out.

There's 2 weeks bond lodged with RTBA and another month payment is due on 30th of Nov.

After a lot of argument he bought me 5Gb of Optus 3g at a cost of $50 last Friday. I need this much each day so it's not exactly a solution.

Moved into a new property 3 weeks ago. Internet connection was part of the agreement and mentioned in the contract.

Upon signage of the contract it turned out that I can't have access to WiFi the landlord initially thought I would.

The landlord offers to set up TPG connection asking me to share the installation cost and pay extra $30 per month. TPG runs into trouble with Telstra. Telstra delays the installation for 2 weeks now.

What do I do? I need Internet for work.

The landlord wants me to cover his losses (TPG fees of $350) and find someone else to take on my contract if I want to move out.

There's 2 weeks bond lodged with RTBA and another month payment is due on 30th of Nov.

What does the documentation say... that you have working internet connection? I'm guessing that is the case and you simply sign up under your name. But now you find you cannot connect? Is that right?

If that is all agreed and signed off, no way should you have to cough up more to fix something that he said was part of the deal, there and ready to connect.

I think you would be within your rights to leave without penalty. Check with the rental authority in your state. It would be different if you had assumed you would get a working connection, but if he has discussed it, and it is noted on a lease, then how can he demand you pay to connect what he said is already there.

Leaving is a huge PITA, so perhaps you can arrange your own internet for a reduced rent until you can find another place.

Send a PM to Lil Skater (search "L" in the Community tab up the top). She should be able to help you more. She is a PM in your state.

If internet is so vital to you then you shouldn't be relying on others for it.

:rolleyes: Would you be saying that if it were a bank reneging on a promise they made in a contract with you?

Stayer, is there any specifics on the connection type to be provided in the contract? Stick them to the contract, like wylie says their unaccounted for costs are not your responsibility.

I've chosen to trust people to deliver their promises which was a mistake on my part. Now I ask for opinions on how to take it from there?

It seems that both you and the landlord have a bit of learning to do in this regard.

Firstly, if the landlord put it in the contract, they you are entitled to receive it. The landlord should have had this all sorted out before you moved in, and you should not be out of pocket.

Secondly, if it was so important to you, you should have organised this yourself & not relied on a third party, especially when it is critical to your livelihood.

Thirdly, if all went well, do you have it written into the contract what sort of plan the internet will be on, or does it just say that you will have a connection? The landlord could sign you up for the cheapest deal available and leave you in the lurch if your usage is more than he's willing to pay for.

:rolleyes: Would you be saying that if it were a bank reneging on a promise they made in a contract with you?

And still landlords are expected to (in the eyes of so many tenants) brush off non paying, recalcitrant damaging tenants like water off a ducks back.:rolleyes:

I agree with DT, why rely on this vital thing as part of your tenancy. Simply get access to internet yourself like everyone else does. Minimise your risks of something not going right and take that responsibility yourself.

I don't think we know nearly enough to comment usefully.

1. What specifically is the provision in the lease?

2. What precisely is the obstacle - that the area's not capable of getting internet at all, or not at the service level in the contract?

3. What remedy do you want? Do you want to move out?

If internet is so vital to you then you shouldn't be relying on others for it.

Should you be renting an internet cafe rather than a home ? Does your lease warrant that the internet will be available for your to work at home? Whats next a electrical filter for your server, a UPS ?? Satellite phone standby ?

Your problem my friend.

And still landlords are expected to (in the eyes of so many tenants) brush off non paying, recalcitrant damaging tenants like water off a ducks back.:rolleyes:
So because some unrelated tenant does the wrong thing, all landlords shouldn't have to uphold their contractual obligations?

I believe this is the important bit. You have something written into your lease that is not able to be delivered.

It's not like you "hoped" you could get internet, or "assumed" you could get it. If indeed you were told you had access to something and now find you don't, then the landlord has to fix it, or allow you to move out without penalty.

We swapped from cable internet recently to TPG via Telstra. Cable in our street was old and brittle and so TPG could not deliver. They still wanted us to pay though to get out of the contract that they could not deliver. It may not have been their fault, but it sure wasn't out fault. Telstra didn't give a toss. After months of frustration, we went back to cable. What a nightmare that was. I understand your frustration.

No way as a landlord would I ever promise something like internet being available if I wasn't damn sure it was available as promised.

Are you living in a granny flat or similar? I ask because it sounds like you (initially at least) expected to be sharing the landlord's own internet conection (via wifi)?

1. What specifically is the provision in the lease?

2. What precisely is the obstacle - that the area's not capable of getting internet at all, or not at the service level in the contract?

3. What remedy do you want? Do you want to move out?

1. It says "... gas, electricity, water with Internet" in writing in Residential Tenancy Agreement. I couldn't connect to WiFi next door because the signal doesn't come through a thick wall. The landlord thought I would be able to.

2. TPG technician discovered that there's no Telephone line between the house and the road.

Landlord is 69yo guy who is a big businessman but clueless about Internet. He sold me on the promise but didn't deliver. No apology, no nothing. At the time when Internet supposed to be connected his phone went silent, he went overseas leaving me to deal with the problem myself. Luckily, I've met his daughter who made his nephew contact me regarding the problem. The landlord is not prepared to offer any compensation.

3. Yes, I want to move out as I don't like how he handled the situation.

It's not like you "hoped" you could get internet, or "assumed" you could get it. If indeed you were told you had access to something and now find you don't, then the landlord has to fix it, or allow you to move out without penalty.

That's what I'm thinking. At the moment, I'm the one at a loss at someone else's fault. On top of that the landlord expects me to cover his 'Try' to provide me with Internet connection which was part of the agreement anyway. And find him a new tenant as if I'm the one who expressed the desire to break the contract.

It seems ridiculous to me, but I new to the country and still not sure if common sense can be applied here.

Seems to me the easiest thing to do is just drill a hole through the wall and run an ethernet connection through, but if he can't/won't/doesn't want to do that, I believe that you have a right to terminate the lease without penalty.

So because some unrelated tenant does the wrong thing, all landlords shouldn't have to uphold their contractual obligations?

No. That is not what I said. However you like to think so tho dont you. :rolleyes:

I'd suggest the tenant gets packing and find another place to rent but this time, get their own internet sorted.

Seems to me the easiest thing to do is just drill a hole through the wall and run an ethernet connection through, but if he can't/won't/doesn't want to do that, I believe that you have a right to terminate the lease without penalty.

He laughed at me when I offered that.

Back