Langwarrin

There is not a specific thread regarding Langwarrin..

I purchased 2 years ago and have seen a 70k growth.

So what are peoples thoughts with the area and in regards to the new peninsula bypass, marina and Olympic pool..

Would people still choose Frankston over Langwarrin?
Will prices still increase at a good rate?
etc etc.

Thanks

I'd choose Frankston every day of the week. Langwarrin is becoming a dumping ground for the sudenese and is too far from public transport and the bay. Horrible place

^^ Gee, how'd you come up with your moniker, Righteous Toss??
Luckily you stayed away from Richmond as an investment in the last 15 years - seeing it was a 'dumping ground' for Vietnamese migrants. And let's not even talk about the disgrace that is Carlton since the Italians were 'dumped' there in the '50s & '60s. Really ruined the potential of that area. I hear the Brits refer to our whole country as a 'dumping ground' for criminals.:rolleyes:

Langwarrin is becoming a dumping ground for the sudenese

Ooops you aren't putting down the Sudanese...you just don't want to live next to them. Right? Just in case you did not notice, Somersoft is a property bulletin board for investors. It's not a venue for unhappy people to put others down because they look different from the rest of us. If you are unhappy about the new arrivals, talk to your federal MP. Keep us out of it.

Rupert Murdoch's mum, Dame Elizabeth Murdoch, lives in Langwarrin. The Sudanese arrivals don't seem to trouble her.

I'd choose Frankston every day of the week. Langwarrin is becoming a dumping ground for the sudenese and is too far from public transport and the bay. Horrible place

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RT,

A really disappointing post when you have to highlight the colour of ones skin in order to "rate" the areas investment potential.

We just want to discuss investment information!!:D

Just wondering how many people here have their PPoRs in the areas where migrant communities live e.g. Areas like Noble Park, Sunshine, St Albans, Craigieburn, Langwarrin, Frankston

Point here is if we really love all races and colours, do we like live near to them also or just posing nice on the forums :confused:

Just wondering how many people here have their PPoRs in the areas where migrant communities live e.g. Areas like Noble Park, Sunshine, St Albans, Craigieburn, Langwarrin, Frankston

Point here is if we really love all races and colours, do we like live near to them also or just posing nice on the forums :confused:

I grew up in Noble Park, my family moved to Australia when I was 6, because I am Eastern European, have bogan friends and have no accent I am considered Australian in most peoples first impressions.

My Wife is +5 generation Australian and grew up in Langwarrin/Skye. Her fathers side of the family is 5th generation Chinese (gold rush days) Generally people's first impression is that she is ethnic. If they ask her where she is from she gives them a good talking to.

Don't judge a book by its cover is the moral of the story.

Bigotry is 99.99% ignorance in my opinion.

Back on topic Langwarrin is fast becoming another Cranbourne/Narrie Warren/Pakenham FHO south eastern territory in my opinion. Such a shame watching the nice green fields turning into project homes, but that is the price of progress I guess.

In case you're really interested, I lived in Frankston for 8 years until a few months ago & it's a great place. I have also lived (albeit in my younger days) in Lalor West, Box Hill and Dallas. Perhaps I am just a bogan; but I did manage to spend quite a lot of years in Hawthorn, Glen Iris and Surrey Hills before the locals found out.
I didn't know there was a large migrant community in Craigieburn. I thought that was where young McMansion builders go - and that is one reason why i would not want to live there (that's my own prejudice).

(Sorry for the segue to those interested in Langwarrin)

Ooops you aren't putting down the Sudanese...you just don't want to live next to them. Right? Just in case you did not notice, Somersoft is a property bulletin board for investors. It's not a venue for unhappy people to put others down because they look different from the rest of us. If you are unhappy about the new arrivals, talk to your federal MP. Keep us out of it.

Rupert Murdoch's mum, Dame Elizabeth Murdoch, lives in Langwarrin. The Sudanese arrivals don't seem to trouble her.

Everyone is so quick to jump up on their high horses and brandish the word RACIST. I personally don't care about what nationality my neighbours are. As an investor I don't want to buy in an area where middle Australia believe a particular race is bad or cause problems. This in turn will make me less money. Simple as that

Langwarrin, a comparison of historical data, (so far from Victorian Valuer-General), to Frankston, just for fun:

Median House Prices 1998-2008

Frankston:..blue for sea..1998 house price median: $110,000---------------2008: $306,000--------change: 178%------Growth P/Annum Averaged: 10.8%

Langwarrin: brown for inland..1998: $125,000------------2008: $320,000----------change: 156%--------Growth P/Annum Averaged: 9.9%

Lets check out historical figures for Median Units/Apartments:

Frankston: 1998: $79,000--------2008: $233,000------change: 195%-------Averaged gth P/A: 11.4%

Langwarrin: 1998: $85,500------2008: $238,500------change: 179%------GPA: 10.8%

Median Vacant House Block Prices

Frankston: 1998: $61,000------2008: $147,375----change: 142%-----GPA: 9.2%

Langwarrin: $53,500------$210,000---change: 293%------GPA: 14.7%

Remember, in regard to statistics:

:
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

( Albert Einstein)

The study conducted by RACV, based on stats from ABS census and Vic Police Crime found for:

burglary rates* for: langwarrin, 3910

2008/09 71
2007/08 88
2006/07 78
2005/06 64
2004/05 103
2003/04 103

here: http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conn...curity/burglary+statistics/search+your+suburb

While, Parkville was 1 in 18.

Here:

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conn...+security/burglary+statistics/high+risk+areas

Our 2006 quickstats of Langwarrin, here:

http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/AB...oducttype=QuickStats&breadcrumb=PL&action=401

mention:

In the 2006 Census, 77.3% of persons usually resident in Langwarrin (Suburb) stated they were born in Australia. Other common responses within Langwarrin (Suburb) were: England 7.3%, New Zealand 1.3%, Scotland 1.3%, Netherlands 0.9% and Italy 0.5%.

Which can be compared to Australian nationwide percentages, incidently.

Frankstons are here:

http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/AB...oducttype=QuickStats&breadcrumb=PL&action=401

In the 2006 Census, 69.0% of persons usually resident in Frankston (Suburb) stated they were born in Australia. Other common responses within Frankston (Suburb) were: England 7.2%, New Zealand 2.5%, Scotland 1.5%, Germany 0.8% and India 0.7%.

Again, keeping in mind Albert Einstein's observations on statistics..

Frankston's Crime Stats:

http://myboot.com.au/3199/Frankston/graphic-chart/victoria-crime-statistic.aspx

Showing us a somewhat higher (in many areas of crime) than victorian state comparison wise...blue being Frankston, Browny/pinkish color for state (Victoria).

Langwarrin doesn't have stats.

Vic Police site news/stats here (for similar to Shire area here):

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/index.php?option=com_statistics&task=search

It's quite interesting too, excerpt only:

We have a focus on disrupting illicit drug dealing. Last year we had many successful operations which targeted illicit drug suppliers, including Operation Able, which saw seven people charged, drugs, firearms, stolen and tainted property seized.

Unfortunately, we have seen an increase in robbery incidents. The increase was due largely to offences committed in May by several offenders. The excellent work of the Frankston Crime Investigation Unit saw everyone who committed a robbery in May caught.

Robbery victims are generally alone in a public place and approached by groups of two or three young men who intimidate and steal. We encourage you to report any suspicious activity immediately to Triple Zero (000). When you are alone, always be conscious of your surroundings and personal safety.

Property offences have fallen and we have seen significant reductions in theft of and from motor vehicles. We have again focussed our attention on recidivist offenders and increased the crime scene examinations of vehicles, resulting in more offenders being identified and charged.

We are particularly concerned about the number of youth who come to our attention for committing crime. We have a strong focus on stopping young people from re-offending and our Youth Assistance Program has proven successful....so on....

As an investor I don't want to buy in an area where middle Australia believe a particular race is bad or cause problems. This in turn will make me less money. Simple as that

Prima facie this appears plausible; ie buy something of wide appeal, and you won't be short of tenants or buyers.

But what about the evidence?

Luckily it's fairly easy to test this. Identify the suburbs with high recent migrant concentrations (especially refugees) and those with low migrant concentrations. Then compare capital growth performance between the two.

Melbourne's two areas of high migrant concentrations are the north-west (Footscray - St Albans axis) and the south-east (Clayton - Doveton). Its lowest concentration of migrants are in the leafy north-eastern suburbs (eg around Eltham).

Here's what Domain says about the long-term growth record of suburbs that the sort of people you regard as Middle Australia might shun:

Springvale = 13.6%
Clayton = 13.0%
Doveton = 12.3%
Noble Park = 12.1%
Sunshine = 12%
Dallas = 11.9%
Footscray = 10.7%
St Albans = 10.5%

These are more like your 'Middle Australia'. Each could be considered a lovely suburb. But their growth is hardly shattering.

Mentone 10.7%
Ivanhoe = 10.1%
Eltham = 10.0%
Montmorency = 9.6%
Williamstown = 9.4%
Templestowe = 9.2%
Sandringham = 8.3%
Olinda = 8.1% eg http://www.domain.com.au/public/suburbprofile.aspx?mode=buy&suburb=Olinda&postcode=3788

I can't predict which suburb will grow fastest, but excluding suburbs based on their ethnic makeup could make one less money not more!

From the Community Indicators -Wellbeing Reports (Frankston's):

http://www.communityindicators.net.au/wellbeing_reports/frankston

Perceptions of Safety

Perceptions of Safety were measured in the 2007 Community Indicators Victoria Survey. Respondents were asked to rate how safe they felt when walking alone in their local area during the day and at night.

When walking alone in their local area during the day 95.1% of persons in Frankston felt safe or very safe, compared to 95.8% in the Southern Metro Region and the Victorian State average of 96.0%.

When walking alone at night 55.3% of persons in Frankston felt safe or very safe, compared to 64.6% in the Southern Metro Region and the Victorian State average of 66.5%.

An interesting site about how the people that actually live in our communities perceive their specific community.

Prima facie this appears plausible; ie buy something of wide appeal, and you won't be short of tenants or buyers.

But what about the evidence?

Luckily it's fairly easy to test this. Identify the suburbs with high recent migrant concentrations (especially refugees) and those with low migrant concentrations. Then compare capital growth performance between the two.

Melbourne's two areas of high migrant concentrations are the north-west (Footscray - St Albans axis) and the south-east (Clayton - Doveton). Its lowest concentration of migrants are in the leafy north-eastern suburbs (eg around Eltham).

Here's what Domain says about the long-term growth record of suburbs that the sort of people you regard as Middle Australia might shun:

Springvale = 13.6%
Clayton = 13.0%
Doveton = 12.3%
Noble Park = 12.1%
Sunshine = 12%
Dallas = 11.9%
Footscray = 10.7%
St Albans = 10.5%

These are more like your 'Middle Australia'. Each could be considered a lovely suburb. But their growth is hardly shattering.

Mentone 10.7%
Ivanhoe = 10.1%
Eltham = 10.0%
Montmorency = 9.6%
Williamstown = 9.4%
Templestowe = 9.2%
Sandringham = 8.3%
Olinda = 8.1% eg http://www.domain.com.au/public/suburbprofile.aspx?mode=buy&suburb=Olinda&postcode=3788

I can't predict which suburb will grow fastest, but excluding suburbs based on their ethnic makeup could make one less money not more!

I never considered Langwarrin an area for Sudanese refugees. Couldn't care less if it is or isn't really.

However to say that migrants cause suburbs to increase more in value than suburbs that don't have as many migrants, based on the above stats, isn't neccesarily correct. It could also be argued that the suburbs that have the higher percentage increase compared to the suburbs that don't, generally had a lower median price. Therefore it is easier in percentage terms for the suburbs with a lower median to have a higher percentage increase than suburbs with a higher median.

I have never seen a Sudanese in Langwarrin. My father in law lives there, as do a couple of friends.

I wouldn't live there as a PPOR - too boring for me.

Plus the Sudanese that I know want to live in Cranbourne, not Langwarrin - OK they are next to each other, but still, never heard one say they dream of Langy.

I have a two bedroom weatherboard cottage in Noble Park - is worth the same as father in law's four bedroom, two bathroom in Langwarrin (I have more land than him though).

As for how do I find living with migrants and growth. Noble Park is a funny place, coz it is very transient. I'm on the kindergarten committee and it's September and we KNOW that the numbers enrolled for next year (ie February when kinder starts) do not reflect the numbers that will turn up. What this means is that we expect a lot of people moving into the area between now and then, and also a lot moving out.

The white people want to move to the new estates in Keysborough, the Vietnamese want to move to Springvale and the others want to move to Cranbourne.

As an investor I don't want to buy in an area where middle Australia believe a particular race is bad or cause problems. This in turn will make me less money. Simple as that

But it doesn't work like that.

ACA love doing their whole "Sudanese are black and nasty so stay away from Noble Park" type stories and it hasn't stopped growth here. I think Middle Australia has very little say in what happens to migrant areas.

Thanks for the stats Spiderman.

To put in Steve McKnight's perspective - the minute you impose your own vested opinion on the desirability of an area rather than leave it to the tenants, you put emotion not money into the equation. (vested because the reason you have may actually be a desirable thing to the tenant).

Back to answering the question.

I purchased four years ago in Langwarrin because I could not get the same construction in Frankston for the money. I consider myself young enough to hold quality buildings so I bought in Langwarrin and Karingal. I got a 4 year old house where Frankston proper was $100K+ more for the same thing!
I assumed that the CG would be somewhat stagnant because Langa's did not have the same heat e.g. there was a daily updates thread on this forum when I joined it a year later.
Alas, I was wrong. Domain recently showed in the dashboard thing that Cranbourne South is one of the highest growth areas over the last year. Langwarrin has been pulled along with it and Frankston proper. My IP has gone up over 40% in the time I have owed it.
I still think that Langa is better than Franga over it's being understated i.e. you pay for some of the hype. Yes, I am sick (along with the obvious others on this forum) of hearing about Frankston. And yes, I still think it has some way to go with the infrastructure improvements being touted. For OO's there is the lifestyle option too with big blocks and acreage.

Back