Last of the dregs gone - finally

Hi,

Just thought I'd have a cathartic "dump" after a pretty emotional roller coaster ride over the last week or so. Both the wife and I are pretty drained at the moment after confronting the last stubborn industrial tenant who refused to move out of the way for better tenants.

He signed a Lease with me (a huge start compared to the rest of the losers I seem to deal with)....didn't read the 39 page document mind you, and was completely confused about his obligations.....in fact we had a disagreement about the Lease less than 10 minutes after he signed it....but anyway.

A clause in the Lease....the famous clause 9.....gave us, the Lessor, the right to issue 3 months notice to end the Lease. He didn't even read that one. Didn't recognise it, didn't acknowledge it, didn't agree that he'd initialled each and every page, despite his squiggly on every page....

Gave him notice mid March to vacate. He totally ignored the notice as usual, and when approached two months into the 3 month period, told us that he wasn't going anywhere, and he'd bomb the place before he left to go anywhere.

The 3 month deadline came and went, with no movement whatsoever. One of the other tenants given notice as well, packed up and found a bigger better unit to conduct his business from.....we helped him move his stuff. Both left on good terms and he is now thriving in his new premises - a win/win all round.

Our solicitor got involved, and as usual created more drama with the situation - always centred around timing. He reckoned we had given 2 months and 30 days notice, not 3 months notice as was required by the Lease. I nearly throttled him over that particular comment.

Reckoned we had two options - give him another 3 months notice with the full 3 month period, or somehow get the tenant to sign a "without prejudice" letter. He and the wife organised a letter whilst I was overseas, stating that the tenant recognised he had been given lawful notice to vacate, and in exchange for an extra 7 weeks grace (on top of the 3 months already lapsed) he had to sign and agree to leave by July 31.

Somehow, beyond all hope he miraculously signed the agreement, but as expected, the deadline came and went with no action to vacate whatsoever. He'd typically turn up to work at 2:30pm, get out a chair and stubby, drink half a carton, get in his car and drive home at 6pm.....a real winner. This very much frustrated the good tenant who was working next door and could see what was going on.

He asked his wormy girlfriend (not a party to any of the business) to call me up the day before he was due to be evicted to ask for an extension. I politely told her I had absolutely no business to transact with her, and if he wanted to resolve the issue, he better have the guts to speak to me.

About 15 minutes later he called me up, and over a tirade lasting 4 minutes and 26 seconds, proceeded to yell down the phone he wasn't going anywhere, and if I employed a locksmith and changed the locks, he'd come around my house with his bikie mates, and blow up my wife and kids when I wasn't home. Quite charming indeed. Knowing his criminal record and reputation, I took the threat seriously. I politely told him I didn't respond to threats, and quickly toddled off to register the threat with the Police, a most marvellous way to spend 3 hours on a Sunday afternoon instead of with your family.

The Police checked his criminal record, and quickly raised their eyebrows when he read the wrap sheet.....it was extensive and involved explosives.....joy !!!

Gave the loser a further 1 weeks extension, on top of the previous 20 weeks notice, on the proviso he brought big trucks and forklifts and bobcats to get all of the big stuff (15 tonne logs, 12 tonne wood saws etc etc etc). Once again, surprise surprise, they did nothing and wasted the time.

The 3rd deadline came and went with no action, with the now irate CEO of the fabulous new tenant champing at the bit to get in and set up his business. Verbal threats of counter suing flying left right and centre, swiftly told him to get back in his box and sit down and shut up and wait for us to get the situation under control.

Tenant finally agreed that the game he was playing was hopeless and going nowhere, and decided to move out. Has been working like a navvy, packing all of the stuff up. He took away 3 semi trailer loads and quickly realised that it hardly made a dent in the amount of shi#e he had on the property.

We gave him a further 3 days, and today they asked for a further 3 days. In conjunction with further pressure from the incoming CEO, we refused and whilst I was at work today, the wife today went out there with provided big marine grade chain and lock, and took control back of the property. Four big Maori guys with trucks, trailers, oxy cutting sets surrounded the wife carrying a chain and lock.

Wife simply told them all to bugger off, put the chain on, and then flicked the switch to put the electric fence zapper on.....a marvellous deterrent.

Anyway, if the property isn't burnt to the ground, or our house isn't fire-bombed tonight, we'll consider it a fantastic win.

There really has to be an easier way of making a quid in this property game, than having to deal with these losers.

We are both mentally and physically exhausted right now, so we'll sign off. Hope no-one else has to go through this garbage. Commercial and industrial investing has it's downsides.

jeez Dazzling, what a circus.I sure hope next week is better.
And a big thankyou for posting the downsides of comercial investing.
Sometimes people can only hear the karching karching of the cashier.

I think you know what to get your wife for chrissy.
Gold plated marine grade chain :eek:
cheers and relax
yadreamin

ps. l would be real kind to you wife if l was you.She has now proven how scary she can be:D

Hey Daz

Thanks for sharing your experience. I feel for you on a number of levels and hope that this guy just gets on with his life and leaves you and your family alone.

Good luck with the new tenant and hopefully all the hearteache will be worthwhile.

Dale

Great post.. thanks for taking the time.. Do keep us updated if anything else happens!

The thought of my family being threatened, too horrible to contemplate.. Kudos to you and your obviously gutsy wife for weathering the storm so competently!

Hey Dazz,

Sometimes I think there is value in paying the premium for a property with a good lease in place! Mind you the upside potential is huge for the landlord that can go through this stuff and turn the property around.

Hats of to you and the wife for courage. I hope it works out for you. I'm sure it will. These type of people you are dealing with are a blight on our society.

Regards,

MJK

Dazz

I thought you said one of the big gains about shifting to Commercial was not having to deal with deadbeat tenants ...:eek:

See Change

Hi Dazzling.

Great post and a real eye opener.

I'm sure you are, but don't forget to keep some sort of record of dealings with the ex/tenant.

Hopefully he will just pick up and go. Would also be keeping the police informed of any further dealings with this lovely gentleman.

Regards
Marty

Thanks everyone for your comments.

It's amazing what a good night's sleep and the light of a new day can bring.

Best news is, no damage to either property last night and it all seems a bit surreal for it to be 'over'. Although, after 3 days of packing up, he was physiclly exhausted as well. When he regains his strength, it may not be so calm.

The process of cleaning up has already begun, and my new tenant is now over the moon to have full control of the full property (all six sheds). All threats of countersuing have dissipated and he's merrily going about his business. That's him sorted for the next 15 years. We don't want to hear about the place until he hands it back to us in late 2021.

There is still about 10 tonnes of the ex-tenant's garbage strewn about the place, but as I wrote previously in another post, it's actually quite pleasant just going about at your casual pace cleaning a place up. All of the stress and clashing with tenants when they refuse to move is the hard bit. Once that's over, the battle has been won and it's a case of clearing the battlefield.

This shall be the first time that we haven't had to clean it up though. The new tenant has his own skip bin company, and so is actually going to make quite a bit of money for himself tucking all of the wood and scrap metal away and incorporating it into his already large piles to be onsold.

With large bobcats and FEL's at his disposal, he should have it cleaned up and swept out by the end of today....far easier than this poor old black duck struggling along with my trusted friends, the broom and rake. As a landlord, it's good not having to clean up 10 tonnes of garbage before the new tenant moves in. I don't think new ressy tenants would be as chuffed, or obliging.

To answer a few of your various questions ;

1. Yes he paid rent, except the last 2 weeks. Was 3 months behind, but in the midst of threatening to blow my wife and children up, apologised to me for being behind in the rent, and vowed to catch up - which he did. I told him on numerous times to forget the rent, and just go away and get out of our lives. The $ figure was miniscule anyway, less than $ 2K, so it meant nothing to us.

2. The stress levels of gettign this guy out was about the same as a residential eviction - we've done 3 or 4 of those...sans the bomb threats of course. At least we aren't hamstrung by the RTA, or silly residential tribunals. There are also no women or children or "domestic stuff" involved, which always makes it easier to move someone on. At the end of arguing, everyone retreats back to their respective domestic situation, which is never in question.

3. Yes, the wife was magnificent in my absence. She continually listened to his big sob story about how hard done by he was, and sympathised with his pleading. That's all he seemed to want, a bit of a tummy rub. Unfortunately I wasn't prepared to play his game. I think a holiday is in order, although I said that this time last year and nothing eventuated. Maybe it's time I pulled my finger out on that score.

4. Yes, have diarised every conversation and meeting - just in case. The Police do take account of things. One thing I've noticed, despite putting every written communication on our semi-professional looking letterhead, i find it amazing how much more people stand up and take notice of letters written with a solicitor's letterhead. People jump way too much when they read a letter from a lawyer, as if it's special or something. We don't have that reaction now, but are glad when people respond out of "fear" when they receive one from our solicitor.

Anyway, having a much happier day today.

Back