Lawn alternative for big blocks

This might be one for Topcropper or the semi-rural dwellers. Does anyone have a cheap alternative to laying lawn for large blocks? 3/4 to 1 acre in size. Currently just shrubs and weeds through the property that need to be slashed every so often to keep council rangers at bay. Used to be ex grazing farm land. Quote to lay and retic just 15x15 size on the cheap stuff was nearly $4.5k. Not in a recession!

Mulch and spray with Zero ....

Have a chat to someone chopping down and chipping trees .

We had some trees chopped down which where chipped on site and given to a neighbour who asked nicely.

Cliff

Nice suggestion Cliff. So I take it your neighbour simply got the chippies and spread it all over the property so the crap doesn't grow back?

Nice suggestion Cliff. So I take it your neighbour simply got the chippies and spread it all over the property so the crap doesn't grow back?

That's the idea

We don't have lawn on our PPOR . Just spray with weed killer at strategic times of the year. I have a Back pack spray which I got from Bunnings. Took a few goes initially to settle things down . I havn't done it for about six month and need to do it at the moment.

Our neighbour with the perfect terraced lawns is out most weekends .

Cliff

Mmmm rotting wood, or grass!

Not a tough choice. A few bags of grass seed and you will have something nice pretty quickly. A cheap ride on mower and 20 minutes work once a fortnight, beautiful.

Not a tough choice. A few bags of grass seed and you will have something nice pretty quickly. A cheap ride on mower and 20 minutes work once a fortnight, beautiful.

Thats a good idea too Hoffy. What do you prepare the ground with prior to spreading the seeds? Get some top soil/manure delivered or just throw it on as is and have the fingers crossed.

Tried to propogate a lawn from seed once. Stuck to turf after that .

Cliff

3/4 to 1 acre in size. !

That's a big block to spread wood chips on. And it would have to be very thick to suppress weeds, so I'd reckon you'd be looking at a few semi trailer loads. :eek:

By spraying with roundup or zero, you will kill everything, including the grass, and I guarantee the weeds will come back before the grass and will be an even bigger mess. And bare ground will be an erosion risk. Soil will be running everywhere with heavy rain.

If it was mine, I'd spray the weeds with some herbicide specifically for broadleaf weeds, as in MCPA or dicamba or starane. These chemicals probably have different 'city dude friendly' names at bunnings or such. You just need a herbicide that will kill broadleafs and not the grass. If there are bare patches, throw on some grass seed, maybe a type with runners so they will fill in the gaps, and get a decent ride on mower.

It would only cost me a few dollars in chemical to spray an acre, but I'd imagine buying the stuff from a city place, there'd be a massive mark up.

I can't see too many other options. I definately wouldn't spray with roundup, as that will just make the weeds worse when they come back, and you don't want to have to be spraying for ever more. It wouldn't take much mowing once the weeds are gone.

See ya's.

I have half an acre. I have a patch of gravelled section with mulched garden beds, and the big empty patch at the back (2/3 of the block) is just pure weeds, its not fenced enough for a goat so we just slash it once a year just before fire season starts to avoid the revenue raising $160 fine.

Thanks everyone else for your contribution. Much appreciated. This city guy has NFI. Should stick to units and townhouses.... :)

Are you serious about the goat? Will it chew everything up? Including the hoist?!

I have no idea, but people do seem to use them to keep weeds down on larger blocks. It would need a water supply of course and there are probably council regulations but may be worth looking into.

Everyone here has a goat. Except us. The other half won't let me have one, and the child wants a pony.

Yet another reason to sell the 2000sqm block with no subdivision potential and move to the 1350sqm block *with* subdivision potential. Imagine! 650sqm! That's manageable!

Back