Laws Auctions

I went out with a friend to do our (hopefully) twice a month property inspection Saturdays. In addition to seeing a few houses (I'm still surprised at what some people will rent), we went to the Laws Auctions at Wetherill Park in Sydney. I didn't realise what they sold: everything from fridges, washers and other kitchen stuff to small electricals (microwaves, etc) to entire kitchen sets (cabinets, countertops) to toilets, vanities and shower sets to mattresses. Then there are TVs, sofas, desks, dining tables, and all sorts of other furniture. And lighting, taps, etc.

I need to do a LOT more research to find out the market price of these things, but that's definitely a place I'm going back again! Next time I need to actually sit through the whole day: on Saturday we had inspections lined up so we left early.

Dreaming of renos yet to be done.......
Alex

what are the 'laws' auctions?? sounds great though where abouts in wetherill park.

That's just the name of the thing, I don't think it has legal connotations.

www.lawsauctions.com.au

21 Frank St
Wetherill Park

From what I see, they auction excess stock and maybe stuff they get when shops go out of business? Most of the stuff seems new. The sort of place where if you know what the market price is and have some patience, you can get a good deal, I think. I haven't actually bought anything there yet, but this is one place I'm definitely going back to.
Alex

i've been using this auction house and others for a couple of years now. i've found now that grays has gone entirely online (in sydney @ least) that laws is not as cheap as it used to be. alex if you're after real bargains then wait for the insurance claims. you must know the dollar value for everything you're interested in and hopefully you can recognise the dealers ie retailers etc who will never exceed a wholesale price. like any auction, never get stuck bidding against someone who 'must have' that item. i've seen novices do this time and again only to find they have paid a full retail price... also avoid weekend auctions where posible as these are largely overpriced because of the uninformed emotional bidders who who frequent these.

to give you an idea in the past year i've bought a new bath vanity RRP $1600 (paid$240), bath RRP $1800 ($170), F&P fridge RRP $1299 ($370) etc . the real key to success is patience and the ability to walk away empty handed

i've been using this auction house and others for a couple of years now. i've found now that grays has gone entirely online (in sydney @ least) that laws is not as cheap as it used to be. alex if you're after real bargains then wait for the insurance claims. you must know the dollar value for everything you're interested in and hopefully you can recognise the dealers ie retailers etc who will never exceed a wholesale price. like any auction, never get stuck bidding against someone who 'must have' that item. i've seen novices do this time and again only to find they have paid a full retail price... also avoid weekend auctions where posible as these are largely overpriced because of the uninformed emotional bidders who who frequent these.

to give you an idea in the past year i've bought a new bath vanity RRP $1600 (paid$240), bath RRP $1800 ($170), F&P fridge RRP $1299 ($370) etc . the real key to success is patience and the ability to walk away empty handed

well done! do you mind sharing any auction houses/ websites you know

stumunro the best way is to check saturday's sydney morning herald. you'll find a whole page devoted to advertising whats available @ different auctions (even though many adverts are for cars, boats, industrial stuff etc). catalogues are typically up a day or 2 before the auction on their website (see paper). occasionally a place like pickles may end up having furniture or something they don't normally stock for sale - so always read the paper.

just make sure you do your homework before you go and remember that many places, such as the furniture place in alexandria, have reserve prices ie that means by the time you tag on the buyer's premium you probably could have shopped around and found a similar price elsewhere...

Back