I don't understand

We were covered. We had her signature and it was past the date that we needed to hold for anyway. The PM was in stitches when she rang to tell me.:)

This is basically the same thing I mentioned...except we have them agree to this, when they sign the lease and move in.

Skater...did the woman work at a store...maybe she was fired for stealing all the merchandise with tags still on them?

No, I don't think so. There wasn't THAT much that still had tags on it. I don't think she was stealing it. I was just surprised to see that she could still go out shopping, but refused to pay rent.

To be honest though, I've been around the block a time or two, so nothing REALLY surprises me anymore, but I don't think I'll ever understand how some people live the way they do, and what they consider as priorities.

Had a tenant a while ago, did a runner. Left lots of rubbish and other 'Stuff'.

He moved in with his new partner. It happened I knew where he was.

Spent a couple of hours to chuck all his stuff into rubbish bags and moved to his new house. He was there and said he was too sick to move. I said I gave you a hand and then unload all his stuff into his empty garage.

Still own us some rent though.

nice of you to deliver his stuff. amazing how we can find ourselves meshed with other peoples problems.

another 1 is if the tenant fails to get a final utility reading. the utility company
sometimes refuses to accept info about their new address from anyone. not uncommon to see open discarded mail from debt collectors and utilities in the property.

they still manage to get a connection elsewhere, guess debts are just written off?

How do tenants like this get another place to rent? The whole structure seems to be geared toward the tenant.
Once again, people not taking responsibility for their actions.
They should be located and "Made" to come back and remove their belongings.

How do tenants like this get another place to rent? The whole structure seems to be geared toward the tenant.
Once again, people not taking responsibility for their actions.
They should be located and "Made" to come back and remove their belongings.

How would you "make" a tenant come back and get their things?

Can't throw anything out for 14 days. After that we can get rid of it. There's not a lot of value (to sell, that is), but if there is, then I'm happy to chuck it on eBay, so long as it's not too large. I don't need all their crap at my place.

Be careful with this. We had the same happen in our IP earlier this year. Tenant walked out with sheriff with a garbage bag full of stuff. Place was still fully furnished including the little boys' beds and their toys. Someone who knew the tenant got most of the stuff out and out the rest in the garage for us. Once the 14 days was up we let the neighbors in the garage to take what they wanted and we threw the rest. We were advised that if we sold anything we'd have to give the money to the tenant.

My tenant left me a cork board with a cut-out from the newspaper about the rights of tenants pinned to it.

I laughed.

Hard.

Oh well, win some lose some.

You've been around longer than me to know that.

Some people don't have much dignity in life, that's all I can say.

Now, before anyone says anything about 'tenant selection', this tenant was working when she went in there & was paying rent every week. On inspection, although she had a huge amount of 'stuff' the place was always clean & tidy. She lost her job, and just stopped paying (and cleaning, by the look of things).

Grrrrr......rant over.

How much was she paying a week in rent?

Sorry to hear hopefully better luck with your new tenants. Not had any issues with mine apart from finding a very small stack of used ladies products in a cupboard hidden away.

Sorry to hear hopefully better luck with your new tenants. Not had any issues with mine apart from finding a very small stack of used ladies products in a cupboard hidden away.

Thankyou, but it's really no skin off our backs. We've been doing this for a while now & have a large portfolio, so it's something that you just have to deal with from time to time.

Back