Lawyers and their PATENT

Recently we approached a lawyer (recommended by friends) to discuss asset protection by gifting personal assets to a "finance trust" , blah blah.
We already knew what we wanted to do; we only saw the Lawyer coz our friends said he knew his stuff and reasonable fees so we gave him a go.
After the meeting we thought yeah they seemed to understand what we wanted etc. we would not mind going with them if fees are OK . We then received a letter from them summarising the strategy and stating their fees which we don't think is that over the top . So far so good.

The only problem we have is: they put these words as heading of the letter to us " FAMILY PROTECTION - BETA STRATEGY (with little tm next to it for trademark") PATENT NO .......... "

Are they saying the strategy we discussed in the meeting is THEIR intellectual property? as we did not think it was anything special at all, we knew about it from our accountant already, just wanting someone to implement it ??
Is this the norm or they are having us on ??

We also DID explain to them about HDT when discussing a new trust for our future investments, as they initially told us a DT would be all we need. At the end they agreed that a HDT would be better !!!!

We don't have much experience dealing with lawyers so any comments would be appreciated.

ta

Have they sold you the 'Beta Strategy' document ?. Does it contain 'fine print' saying it can only be implemented by them - or have they only charged you a consultation fee ?

There seems to be a lot of organisations (accountants, lawers, financial planners) that keep trust deed documents confidential as they have spent a lot of time getting the wording correct. They sell copies of the document to their customers.

I suggest calling the lawers and asking them what conditions are attached to their advice.

You're a member of InvestEd salsa,
Get a second opinion, possibly from NigelW over there.
Either way, get another opinion.

kp

WillG,
Thanks for your response.
No they have not shown or sent us any document at all except the letter summarising the strategy. We did not sign any "confidentiality" paper either...
The agreement was that the initial chat was free of charge , hence we had the initial chat where the strategy was discussed. Then we asked how much , and they said they would formally quote their fees via a letter...

I will send them some queries re the letter however would like to get as much info as I could before doing so as I feel like I "need to be careful" as I am "dealing with lawyers here " kind of thing....

No dis-recpect comments on them at all, just wanting to do my homework before responding.

Thanks Nigel.

Cant read attachment though.:)

A company claiming a patent instead of patent pending/patent application number. Very Naughty.:)

So, A86, would you recommend Salsa persist with this company or shop around for another lawyer?

I'm not sure just how "naughty" this is, and whether it suggests they're the sort of company Salsa shouldn't be dealing with.

I'm interested in people's opinions on the seriousness of this breach and what can be read into it if anything.

Cheers,
Michael.

geoffw said:
I was asked for s username and password when I tried to open the Word attachment.
OK, I've loaded it here for those without InvestEd access.

Regards,
Michael.

Attachments

• Intellectual_Property_Reports2006-04-10_08-58.DOC
    83.2 KB · Views: 270
If the strategy is what you wanted, it at least showed they listened during the interview (better than some) and if the fees are OK then I would go with them.

My thoughts are merely as a user of professional services and ATM a victim of an incompetant lawyer.

Bill

Thank you for posting the file MichaelW, I was been trying to attach the file here and could NOT believe I did not see the "pin" sign , and suddently, there it was !!!!!!!!! Someone must have turned the light on inside my very dark head :eek: :D

MichaelWhyte said:
So, A86, would you recommend Salsa persist with this company or shop around for another lawyer?

I'm not sure just how "naughty" this is, and whether it suggests they're the sort of company Salsa shouldn't be dealing with.

I'm interested in people's opinions on the seriousness of this breach and what can be read into it if anything.

Cheers,
Michael.

Michael,

Shop around, based on the info supplied.
Because even though the law firm involved would not be Patent Attorneys, I'm sure they would have been advised that it is illegal to claim a patent, if you dont have one, by their patent attorneys .
It could have been an oversight, but that coupled with Salsa having to explain a HDT, and convince them it was suitable for her wouldn't give me confidence.Maybe they filed the patent themselves. That wouldn't help my confidence levels either.
I've only just got home and haven't read the attachment yet.

Back