Laying loose pebbles and soaking it in resin - is it really that hard?

hi all,

i want to do a pebble border around our porch (approx 250mm wide) by laying loose pebble on some sort of glue and coating them in some sort of clean resin to give a smooth finish.

i plan to use aluminium edging to keep it all in place with pebbles being less than 3mm high so total height including resin will be approx 5mm

anyone done this? is it as simple as this?

thanks,

julie

Last edited:
Pebble-Mix FAQ

Q.What is Pebble-Mix?
A. Pebble-Mix is a 5-6mm thick decorative toping consisting of pebbles mixed with an air dry resin that is specially formulated to be applied to all concrete surfaces.

Q. Can I do it myself?
A. Certainly, The Pebble Mix Company can supply the materials you require. You can pick up from us or have one of our couriers deliver it out to you. We will also provide you with an application instruction sheet that should walk you through the process.

Q. How do I go about getting the job done for me?
A. If you are in Melbourne Metro simply call our Burwood office to arrange an obligation free quote when our rep is in your area. For those outside our area any good handyman with experience in either plastering or concreting should have no difficulty and we can get the products in your colour selection to you.

Q. How is Pebble-Mix applied?
A. Pebble-Mix is a four product application consisting of the primer (pebble coat) which penetrates into the concrete, the Pebble-Mix which is trowelled out onto the surface utilizing a product called Trowel Release as the cleaning agent for the trowel. About 1-2 weeks later the product is given a coat of sealer called Pebble-Finish. The Pebble-Mix Company has an application sheet that can be provided for DIY applications.

Q. Can Pebble-Mix go on vertical surfaces?
A. Yes, for smaller vertical surfaces like stair risers and edges there is a special Pebble-Mix primer called Pebble-Rise and a vertical Pebble-Mix blend. However it is worthwhile to keep in mind that the weight of the pebbles makes it inadvisable to apply to large wall areas.

Q. What about balconies?
A. Pebble-Mix is a not a waterproof surface so on balconies or where it is being applied on raised areas a waterproofing film should be applied first. The chemicals in Pebble-Mix can react with waterproofing products so it is best to contact us to confirm the suitability of your waterproofing product first.

Q. Can Pebble-Mix be applied to shower bases?
A. As Pebble-Mix is not waterproof we do not advise that it is applied to shower bases. As Pebble-Mix is not a sealed surface there can also be hygiene issues.

Q. My pool has Pebble-Mix inside it, can it be repaired?
A. Pebble-Mix has never been applied by our company inside pools. There is an exposed aggregate finish that looks very like Pebble-Mix and it’s a common mistake to confuse the two. You would need to contact a pool company to find out about repair possibilities.

Q. How do I maintain my Pebble-Mix application?
A. We advise that a coat of Pebble-Finish be applied every two years to a clean dry Pebble-Mix surface. The application of Pebble-Finish is to help alleviate U.V. damage to the resins used in Pebble-Mix by providing additional binder to the product.

Q. How long do I have to stay off my new Pebble-Mix?
A. We advise that you do not walk on the application for at least 1 day however 2 days is preferable. Do not put any heavy pots, furniture etc on you Pebble-Mix until at least one week after your Pebble-Finish has been applied. This is also applicable for driving your car over freshly laid Pebble-Mix and following the application of the Pebble Finish sealer.

Q. Can Pebble-Mix be applied thicker then 5mm?
A. No, Pebble-Mix uses an air dry resin that cannot be laid thicker as it needs air flow to dry. If it is done much thicker the drying time will be dramatically extended and you risk the lower areas remaining spongy.

Q. We have a commercial job that has to be dryer sooner what can be done?
A. Epoxy resin can be mixed with the pebbles on-site; however this type of application is more costly and should only be undertaken by a trained applicator. Please contact our office to discuss the options.

Q. Is Pebble-Mix non slip?
A. No. Pebble-Mix is not designed to be a non-slip surface; however an extra layer of Pebble-Finish can be applied with a very fine grit added in a matching colour that will certainly provide more traction.

Q. Why do the expansion joints have to be left open?
A. Concrete shifts and moves which is why expansion joints are added so that the concrete will crack in these control joints. When Pebble-Mix is applied we leave these joints open to allow that movement to continue.

Q. What is the warranty on Pebble-Mix?
A. Pebble-Mix offers a two year warranty on works undertaken by our company. What this does not cover, however, is your concrete. If your concrete cracks it will crack the Pebble-Mix with it.

Q. How much does Pebble-Mix cost?
A. If the job is to be done by us please contact our office to have our rep come out to measure your area. If you are doing it yourself or having a contractor do it for you please provide us with the vertical square metres and the horizontal square metres to allow us to calculate the materials required.

Q. Why should I fit Aluminium Stair Treads?
A. The stair treads have two important functions – they protect the edge of the step from being damaged through either heavy traffic or movement of furniture, etc. Secondly to highlight the edge of the step particularly at night time as a safety factor.

decorpebble.com.au/

Gerd

Pebble mix of old used to be tiny little chips, I think Alpina wants to used pebbles (ie I assume 20/30mm) Can you clarify Alpina

celica said:
Pebble mix of old used to be tiny little chips, I think Alpina wants to used pebbles (ie I assume 20/30mm) Can you clarify Alpina

hi celica,

not talking about the multicoloured chips that use to be all the rage in the 80's for driveways.

rather i want to do a border of 200mm small stones around our front porch and lay tiles inside the border (hope that makes sense). Originally, we were going to just drop glue and the stones on top, leaving a rough textures look but thought we would also look at a smooth resin look option.

all suggestions appreciated

julie

Back