Laying timber flooring advice

Hi all,

I need to install around 175 linear metres (17 sq metres) of Cypress pine flooring to match an adjacent room.

The new flooring will be 98mmx19mm boards and will be laid over a new particle board floor.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to lay the floor?

Should I just use a wood glue on the bottom of the board and then say two nails every half a metre on the board down into the particle board?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Neil

Ok here is little help..

New timber must be left in the house for at least 7 days to absorb the temperature and gets acclimatised to site conditions, do not install if moisture content is more than 12%.

You need a secret nailer gun and air compressor to do the job, existing particleboard must be pretty level, if not you would have to use plainer or belt sander to level it.

I assume its tongue and grove timber flooring, if not than you don't need a secret nailer gun, you can hit nails from the top, which than have to be patched, but keep it uniform and don't nail close to the edge.

Start square and with the straight timber, make sure they all join properly, if not try using different timber, do not leave more than 15mm around walls perimeter, because skirting is 18mm and you don't want gaps around.

When you get to the end of the row you start with the off-cut for the next row, to reduce waste, timbers must be staggered at least 450mm apart.

Use liquid nails under each row, and place nails every 400mm

When you get to the end use jig saw or circular saw to split last timber, use timber wedges to hold it in place until glue dries.

Leave sanding and polishing to the professionals.

Good luck.

Ok here is little help..

New timber must be left in the house for at least 7 days to absorb the temperature and gets acclimatised to site conditions, do not install if moisture content is more than 12%.

Yep, that will happen. Timber will be in the room it is to be laid in for a good week or so.

You need a secret nailer gun and air compressor to do the job, existing particleboard must be pretty level, if not you would have to use plainer or belt sander to level it.

I assume its tongue and grove timber flooring, if not than you don't need a secret nailer gun, you can hit nails from the top, which than have to be patched, but keep it uniform and don't nail close to the edge.

The existing (original) flooring is nailed from the top, so I was planning on doing the same, even though it is tongue & groove, so that it looks the same as the floor it is butting up against?

When you get to the end of the row you start with the off-cut for the next row, to reduce waste, timbers must be staggered at least 450mm apart.

Use liquid nails under each row, and place nails every 400mm

When you get to the end use jig saw or circular saw to split last timber, use timber wedges to hold it in place until glue dries.
So some liquid nails along the whole length of each board?
And nails every 400mm even if top nailed right?

Leave sanding and polishing to the professionals.

Oh yes, I already had the bedrooms and hall sanded & polished by a pro, and I wouldn't even bother trying to do it myself!

Good luck.

Thanks!

The existing (original) flooring is nailed from the top, so I was planning on doing the same, even though it is tongue & groove, so that it looks the same as the floor it is butting up against?

Yes keep it the same.

So some liquid nails along the whole length of each board?
And nails every 400mm even if top nailed right?

You can go along the board, but it is often done opposite direction of laying, we put lines every 400-500mm, yes nails every 400mm even from the top, unless you want to match existing boards, than do the same they did on the old floor.

If you have to hit nail in the knot, pre-drill it or it might split.

Back