Layout for Rental

Hi Everyone,

We have recently purchased another place, that we now plan to renovate to increase the value and also rental return. It's in quite a nice location, close to a high school, preschool, primary school and short 10 minute walk to main street with all the shops, doctors etc. So I believe a young family will be my rental market, in which the 780sqm block helps.

The house itself is in overall good condition, it was actually a fibro home originally and has been converted to a brick home - and done very well! Previous owners even added ducted aircon throughout the whole home. We plan on replacing the kitchen and converting the existing laundry / storage into a complete laundry / bathroom area. The only thing it does lack is built ins but I can't see a solution to that.

Now I was after some peoples opinions on some ideas I had to 'open' up the house and maybe make it more appealing. If you refer to the picture attached, we are currently using room (4) as the lounge room, with rooms (1), (2) & (3) being the bedrooms with (5) being a dining room. (7) is a small stepdown from the rest of the house and is currently just a sunroom.

The idea I had was to actually knock out the wall between (3) & (7) allowing that to be a large open living / dining area. Blocking off the door between (5) & (6) and effectively turning it into a 4 bed 2 bath or 3 bed 2 bath 1 study?

Only issue I can see is that the kitchen then only has one access point and could seem quite confined.

Any opinions would be great. There is a bit of work there to be done but nothing I cannot do myself with the hand of a mate who is a chippy. I've got 2 real estate agents coming today and hopefully they can shed light on the rental difference between a 3 & 4 bedder.

Thanks,
Andrew.

P.S. I attached a picture to show the 'curved' walls at the front. We have removed the plants since but it gives you the idea :)

Attachments

• 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 229573_10151076118846938_652414734_n.jpg
    229573_10151076118846938_652414734_n.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 60
Back