Leaf Blowers!

I've just been out for a walk, and as usual there is some guy outside his house with a leaf blower.

There is always one...

He was basically blowing leaves off his driveway and nature strip and over towards his neighbour's property, where they will lie for few hours and then blow back with the wind.

A few weeks ago I saw four council workers, each with a leaf blower, working in harmony to blow leaves from one side of the street to the other. And the council pays them to do this!

What is the point of these leaf blowers? Have people not heard of a brush, rake and shovel?

Why I hate leaf blowers...

- They pollute the environment with petrol fumes.
- They cause noise pollution.
- They waste money (cost of machine plus petrol).
- The leaves just blow back in a few hours.
- A brush, rake and shovel works better.

Seriously, I just don't understand why people use these things... can somebody enlighten me!

Cheers, Shadow.

Shadow - I agree with you.

Unfortunately I can't 'wean' hubby off using his 'noise machine'. His is electric and sucks the leaves in & mulches them (and he uses the mulch on gardens). He claims it is quicker and more efficient - perhaps he has a point (albeit a tiny, weeny little point), as we live on over half an acre.

But I hate the thing!!!!! :(

Cheers
LynnH

Totally agree with this too.
The leaves are still there, just moved away from the blowers area.

Why don't they use the leaf suckers more often, like a leaf blower that sucks into a bag.

i have one and haven't used it in six months since moving to the new house - but - i always used the vacuum as we had a large area of paving squares with mondo grass growing between. the mondo used to be a wonderful gum leaf trap (we backed onto bush) and you couldn't sweep the leaves off unless you use a dustpan/brush for every square - and even then you didn't get them all. i then put the resulting mulch on the garden

but - i don't get the blowing part! as it doesn't get rid of the mess, just moves it slightly.

They are nasty creatures aren't they. Suckers they should be, otherwise the whoe exercise is pretty pointless, although maybe men like waving a big wand around? Might be a boy thing, give me a nice handbag anydaY!

wylie

A classic!!!!! Couldn't help roaring with laughter - and just had to share it with hubby!! Fortunately he has a healthy sense of humour. :D :D

Keep up those sorts of replies, and I reckon you're a serious contender for GeoffW's position as SS's resident comedian!

Cheers
LynnH

Leaf blowers are the toy that have replaced hosing down the concrete driveway or patio.

Agreed - never liked them, never will, see it as waste of time and energy, tho i don't necessarily agree with these either but at least they could suck the leaves into a bag

OSS

I don't agree with you. Our leaf blower is very useful as a sand and leaf blower that blows all the debris to the one spot so we can clean it up. In the bad old days we used the hose!! Ours is electric. Very noisy, but not on for long so bearable. BTW, it makes a useless sucker upper.

I don't agree with you. Our leaf blower is very useful as a sand and leaf blower that blows all the debris to the one spot so we can clean it up. In the bad old days we used the hose!! Ours is electric. Very noisy, but not on for long so bearable. BTW, it makes a useless sucker upper.

Hi Tizzy, ever thought of using a brush... much quieter, better for the environment, and good exercise!

:)

Leaf blowers are only useful if you blow the leaves into a corner and then switch it so it sucks, and suck the leaves into the attachable net, and dump it into a green-recycling bin.

It's a pity people don't use them properly. Speaking of which, do all leaf blowers have a 'suck' mode?

Back