Leaking shower - Megasealed?

Hi all

Recently had water seeping from an upstairs shower which caused problems on the ceiling below (how I noticed the problem).

Am thinking of getting the 'Megasealed' treatment (www.megasealed.com.au) to address the problem. It's expensive but not as expensive as pulling the shower apart.

Has anyone got any comments of Megasealed? Does it work? Is it worth the money?

They give a 12 year guarantee.

Thanks
Theo

I had the treatment done- and it took two more extremely reluctant visits before the leak was stopped.

I'm probably just one rare dissatisfied customer- but a leak that shows within 30 seconds of water being turned on was not at all satisfactory.

Where are you? Lounger sabre has a shower sealing business in Brisbane and Perth.

It is inevitable that the troughs corrode and some sealing isn't done right first off. I prefer to re-seal and tile again. That is, re-tile all shower, because the corner edges would probably leak too in a pinch. Maybe someone has recent costs.

Thanks for the replies.

Geoff:
I'm in Brisbane and I checked out the Sabre link. Interesting because it reads just like the Megasealed site. Maybe they get the stuff out of the same vat. For fun I checked whether the Brisbane testimonial makers existed in the online white pages - not a one turned up.

Would you go the sealing way again? I'm guessing not given your comments.

Lplate:
Maybe this is the way to go. Shower gets a lot of use, and the cost of the sealing treatment is a fair way towards the cost of a structural fix.

Theo

Chatted with a plumber who said most leaks come from poor/cracked/missing grout. He suggested the first thing is to regrout. If that doesn't work, then go onto more expensive options.

Jas

Been thru the bathroom disasters

Hi
In the NT all re tiling and new work in homes must be certified.
In an elevated home the "fibreglass" wetseal must cover the shower cubicle area and over the entire floor up to 100mm up the wall. In a ground floor on concrete the shower area and to 100mm to floor needs to be sealed.

After a long !!!! exactly what has to be done ??? process I ended up getting the certifyer out so he could instruct the builder as to requirements & acceptable products. The certifyer as I understand it guarantees the work for 10 years. A building approval was also completed for the repair work.
Before any tiling took place the certifyer had to inspect.

The products named on here dont seem familiar but if anyone is interested I can find out.

BSA - Why Showers Leak

Jas said:
Chatted with a plumber who said most leaks come from poor/cracked/missing grout. He suggested the first thing is to regrout. If that doesn't work, then go onto more expensive options.

Jas
Jas
No he is wrong and he should check the Building Code. The problem usually lies in the inadequacy of the waterproofing under the tiles and in the corners. Or leaking behind the wall from the taps or head. It is not an uncommon problem.
Any 'fix' that doesn't address this inadequacy will fail in time, sooner or later.

Look at this shower failure - BSA opinion

cheers
Lplate

try again BSA opinion

Last edited:
Lplate said:
Jas
No he is wrong and he should check the Building Code. The problem lies in the inadequacy of the waterproofing under the tiles and in the corners. It is not an uncommon problem.

Thanks for that Lplate
Jas

Lplate said:
It is inevitable that the troughs corrode and some sealing isn't done right first off. I prefer to re-seal and tile again. That is, re-tile all shower, because the corner edges would probably leak too in a pinch. Maybe someone has recent costs.
I had a shower floor pulled out, re-done and re-tiled in April 2003, in Sydney West, and it cost me $1,298.00. It took 3 days to complete.

abcdiamond said:
I had a shower floor pulled out, re-done and re-tiled in April 2003, in Sydney West, and it cost me $1,298.00. It took 3 days to complete.
ABCD
Thank you. I may have one to do in a 80's house - shower 'fixed' a few times by the previous owner.
regards
Lplate

We had an unsatisfactory experience with megaseal (and similar advertisers to fix leaking shower). From our experience, a leaking shower could only be fixed by ripping out all the floor tiles, removing the cracked water membrane and replacing it with new materials. We had megaseal came to our place at least 4 times over a period of 12 months and the problem had never been fixed. They only gauged out the old grout and put in new grout then sealed the grout with some film. We would not want to waste our money on these gimmicky things.

Lplate said:
ABCD
Thank you. I may have one to do in a 80's house - shower 'fixed' a few times by the previous owner.
regards
Lplate
I just found the original quotes that I got from the membrane repair people:
Everseal $ 1144.00
LeakSeal $ 1155.00

The pull out and fix properly job was not much difference price wise, only $150 more :)

I had a megaseal put in by some guy who also guaranteed his work for 12 yrs. Not 12 mths later, the leaking began again into my BIR (backs onto bathroom wall) and he came back and told me that it wasn't his fault, as the wall had movement in it :mad:

So much for guarantees. Read the fine print!

Anway, ended up having to remove all tiles and re-do. When we took them off, discovered that their was a significant crack in the actual wall sheeting. The timberwork behind was saturated and also had to be replaced. Big job, but necessary to prevent further damage. I never should have wasted my $300 on the megaseal thing. Waste of time and money. The bathroom tiler also informed me that most of them don't regrout properly (he was right in my case, as the guy just went over the old grout with a thin layer of new stuff to make it look good) and you can buy the seal they use very cheaply from Bunnings.
Ah well, you live and learn :)

So considering all the negative stories about these showerseal people....does anyone have any good news stories about them?

Or should we get Today Tonight on the case ;)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I thought that I was the only one.

At the time, $275 was a big push- in that month, I had renovated, and the property had been vacant while doing so. It's the only time I've ever had to go and pay the Property Manager money, so that amount did hurt.

But water had already damaged the walls enough to show damage on the wall on the other side.

I'll have to get a retile now- let me just ask the tenant if he can do without a shower for the next week or so!

abcdiamond said:
I just found the original quotes that I got from the membrane repair people:
Everseal $ 1144.00
LeakSeal $ 1155.00

The pull out and fix properly job was not much difference price wise, only $150 more :)
ABC
That's a good price. I have found that tear out and re-do is the only sensible option - fix everything in one go, including new taps and shower. Get good quality metal drains too because I haven't had much success with the plastic ones (movement).
Lplate

The options we had for the tenant were:
  1. Hire a portable shower for them, but a bit expensive.
  2. Give them 1 week rent free
They chose the rent free, and showered at a friends house.

That was less hassle for us :)

Theo said:
Hi all

Recently had water seeping from an upstairs shower which caused problems on the ceiling below (how I noticed the problem).

Am thinking of getting the 'Megasealed' treatment (www.megasealed.com.au) to address the problem. It's expensive but not as expensive as pulling the shower apart.

Has anyone got any comments of Megasealed? Does it work? Is it worth the money?

They give a 12 year guarantee.

Thanks
Theo

Theo

I have used "leak stop" or something like that and it goes over the shower tiles like paint essentially forming a clear cover over the tiles. This can be damaged but it works and only around $40 a tin. Worth a go perhaps?

Peter 147

Back