Leaking shower recess...

Got a building and pest done and it has been highlighted as such:

The walls surrounding the rear of the shower recess had a higher than normal moisture reading, the moisture appears to be from a leaking shower recess and repairs to the shower recess appear necessary.

The bath and shower recesses and surrounding areas were tested and there were no visible signs of significant water penetration to surrounding areas.

It has been suggested that Megasealed or DiaOseal will be sufficient to correct this by inspector.

Want to know if such a correction will actually be sufficient? Was told that the probability of it being a leaking pipe or a leak from an upstairs unit is minimal based on thermal imaging and water detection devices.

Is it possible that tiles will need to be lifted, the waterproof membrane need to be fixed and thus a new tile job? Possibly costing much more than anticipated.

I'm currently in my 5 day cooling off period and have arranged for a quote by megasealed at current. I don't want to double up on work if not necessary, but is a plumbing inspection also warranted?

Spoke with owners corporation and there has been a change of the by-laws so that the onus is on the lot owner to correct any water leaks internally. This includes internal walls and all the piping leading to a shower head as such. For the sake of argument the non-renovated original tiling law ruling about it being common property can not be claimed.

Fair enough.

Could have got the owner to fix, but an acknowledgement in the contract of sale pretty much is an "as is" clause. Acknowledging that the purchase is in its present condition and state of repair with all faults and defects, if any, whether latent or patent, and purchaser not entitled to make an objection, claim or requisition, delay completion, rescind or terminate in respect of any dilapidation of any structure in the property. Also not to require the vendor to complete any work or improvement after date of contract.

Given the as is clause, I don't think the fair trading act can be applied here given that one would be unable to use the shower if the leaking recess was significant, right?

So, I pretty much have to foot the bill in this case, if I decide to proceed and as we're in a cooling off period already, could try to negotiate price down but I think that is likely to be unsuccessful.

Will push to extend cooling off period to ensure all due diligence can be completed if access delays occur. Just wondering the likelihood of it being more sinister, possible associated costs of a worst case scenario.
Everything else that needs fixing, improving, I can accept. I know that the stove top has 3 burners. out of 5, which are blocked or not working. Can live with that and also that the rangehood needs to be changed.

It's good that to been caught early, before its caused significant further damage.

The last ones I had done were about $800 each.

It seems a very common problem with tiled showers. Perhaps the whole technique is flawed.

Hydrobarriers are a stop gap measure, eventually they will leak again. They will cost $400-700 whereas a proper remove tile, re-waterproof and re-tile will cost $1200'ish.

I do the latter unless the bathroom is going to be renovated in the coming couple of years and a stop gap is needed.

You expect a 1970's property to have a leaking shower - it's par for the course.

But what I don't get is why so many of the recently built homes, and I'm talking the last 5 years, have leaking showers?

If I had $1 for every (newer) home we've purchased with a leaking shower over the past years.......

You expect a 1970's property to have a leaking shower - it's par for the course.

But what I don't get is why so many of the recently built homes, and I'm talking the last 5 years, have leaking showers?

If I had $1 for every (newer) home we've purchased with a leaking shower over the past years.......

Cheap builders with poor quality trades who dont waterproof properly (or have the apprentice do it and then sign the waterproof cert) :(

Hydrobarriers are a stop gap measure, eventually they will leak again. They will cost $400-700 whereas a proper remove tile, re-waterproof and re-tile will cost $1200'ish.

I do the latter unless the bathroom is going to be renovated in the coming couple of years and a stop gap is needed.

There is the possibility that we will renovate in the next couple of years once we settle into the mortgage.

Although as with everything, plans may change.
Paying that extra $500-800 (x2) now may mean we can put renovations off longer and use that money to invest in other properties, etc.

Who do you use for your re-tiling needs?

As stated, quote will come back from megasealed tomorrow and I have requested that they perform a leak test.

Based on the additional information I have supplied re: contract of sale + strata by-laws. Of course, I am still going to push to negotiate a price down. Do you think this is wasted effort?

Has anyone used DiaOseal or Megasealed to solve leaking shower recess issue?
Any comments/review?
Big thanks.

Megaseal - came in - but still leaked. Ended up remove tile/seal/new tile. But initial cost of seal deducted from total job.

The Y-man

Megasealed fixed my leaking IP shower about 4 years ago. Haven't had any issues since. I dont know how bad the original problem was though, cheers nat.

Back