Learning to negotiate?

Was wondering if anyone has a favourite go-to book on negotiation? Or is everyone just learning from experience, other people, mentors, Somersoft posts and the like?

Thanks

Just checking in again here.

I've now read two (well listened thanks to audible. I put it on my phone and listen when I'm in my car) . Getting to yes by Roger Fisher and William Ury and "Getting more" by Stuart Diamond. Very much prefer the second book. lots of real life examples and covers negotiating in all areas of your life, but also has specific chapters for different situations. Unfortunately not a negotiating real estate chapter, but it's all applicable.

I tried getting the Jenman one, but kept getting redirected, and I have Herb Cohen on my wish list (soon to buy).

Was wondering if anyone has a favourite go-to book on negotiation? Or is everyone just learning from experience, other people, mentors, Somersoft posts and the like?

Thanks

Brian Tracy has written a new book on negotiation. I just saw that it was on Amazon. Not sure if his style is to your taste, but just saying.

no craft. just silence.

silence is a negotiators greatest weapon.

when engaged in conversation, people generally like it to continue.

when conversation stalls, due to you breaking it down, the other party (generally) concedes something, anything, to restart it. that is, unless they also use silence too, or are just simply not willing tp budge.

but in 90% of cases, something is conceded to restart the conversation or negotiation. and they don't even know they've done it, until they've said it.

everyone has conceded something like that in the past, you know, you just find yourself offering something and then stopped and asked "what the hell did I do that for?!". often happens when buying a car, or selling one to a dealer. also happens in fencing disputes, too.

works great on the phone with re agents, too.

Back