Quite often i see something like this on a forum:

Some quoted text

Reply to that text

Some more quoted text

Reply to that text

Here is for those people who don't know how to quote properly:

Instead of using colors just insert a [/quote] tag before your text, and
after it.

Not only it becomes much easier to read, but also when people want to quote you they don't end up with something like this:
SomeUser said:

Strannik, I quote in the style you consider ignorant all the time.... :rolleyes:

I am not inclined to snip and paste because if I am replying to several points, it'd take me considerably more time and effort.

vBulletin will just have to be made more user friendly. I've never been a slave to technology, as I've always considered technology is a slave to man.

Maybe that's why I don't get on with administrators.

Strannik, I quote in the style you consider ignorant all the time.... :rolleyes:
It's
I am not inclined to snip and paste because if I am replying to several points, it'd take me considerably more time and effort.
not
vBulletin will just have to be made more user friendly. I've never been a slave to technology, as I've always considered technology is a slave to man.
very
hard :)

This is just a test

You only need to insert
and your text between them
couple of seconds worth of effort, but makes your posts much clearer

OK, now that you mentioned it , how can I reply to multi quotes ? :(

Too easy, now I get it.

vBulletin will just have to be made more user friendly. I've never been a slave to technology, as I've always considered technology is a slave to man..

vBulletin can do this ... see the three buttons in the bottom right of each post?

The first one labelled "Quote" allows you to quote that post in a reply.
The last one with the paper and quill allows you to post a quick reply (no quoting).

The middle one (with the double quotes and the plus sign) allows you to select multiple posts that you want quoted in your reply. You can toggle each post (click it a second time to turn quote off), and then click the "Post Reply" button to start your reply with multiple quotes.

Personally I don't usually bother ... but then I'm a programmer and am used to typing codes like QUOTE and /QUOTE

vBulletin can do this ... see the three buttons in the bottom right of each post?
Another test to see if
[/QUOTE]
The last one with the paper and quill allows you to post a quick reply (no quoting).[/QUOTE]

this works, but i have a feeling
[/QUOTE]
The middle one (with the double quotes and the plus sign) allows you to select multiple posts that you want quoted in your reply. You can toggle each post (click it a second time to turn quote off), and then click the "Post Reply" button to start your reply with multiple quotes.
[/QUOTE]

i'm doing something wrong
[/QUOTE]
Personally I don't usually bother ... but then I'm a programmer and am used to typing codes like QUOTE and /QUOTE[/QUOTE]

if this works this time, then
The last one with the paper and quill allows you to post a quick reply (no quoting).
failt to see how this could possibly be
easier than just replying in different colour within the post,
Personally I don't usually bother ... but then I'm a programmer and am used to typing codes like QUOTE and /QUOTE

I have to keep copying and pasting the [ QUOTE=Sim;431595 ] and [ /QUOTE] before and after each of Sim's paragraphs!

if this works this time, then

failt to see how this could possibly be

easier than just replying in different colour within the post,

I have to keep copying and pasting the [ QUOTE=Sim;431595 ] and [ /QUOTE] before and after each of Sim's paragraphs!

yup - if you want to do a quote-by-paragraph for a single post (as opposed to multiple posts as in my previous example), then you need to copy and paste.

Personally if I am going to quote someone paragraph by paragraph, I'll just copy and paste the entire quote as many times as I need and then delete the other paragraphs (works well if the post is relatively short, otherwise, copy and paste the QUOTE and /QUOTE becomes easier).

The number one reason why NOT to just reply with your response inside the quote with coloured text is that when someone else goes to quote you in response, they can't use the Quote button - since it automatically strips out older quotes from your post.

... and as a general comment on quoting ... I hate it when people quote all of a long post and just put their reply at the bottom. The only reason to quote is to add context to your post, and quoting an entire long post doesn't help with context at all :rolleyes:

Spot on Sim.

I generally just quote the persons body once and delete the parts that are not relevant to my response. People can figure out easily enough what you're referring to.

On your other point, I couldn't agree more! Nothing worse than seeing someone quote a massive essay someone has written just to add "well done!" at the bottom. If you're going to do that, just quote the persons first sentence and delete the rest of the body.

witzl said:
did you know
witzl again said:
that you can quote
witzl yet again said:
inside a quote
witzl once more said:
for maximum effect of showing initial questions and answers?
All you have to do is add multiple quote tags.

i've entered it in code below for you to see how it's done
-replace the {} with []

{quote=witzl}did you know
{quote=witzl again}that you can quote
{quote=witzl yet again}inside a quote
{quote=witzl once more}for maximum effect of showing initial questions and answers?{/quote}
{/quote}
{/quote}
{/quote}

Ha ha - this whole topic has given me the giggles and i am still none the wiser... i am usually very good at this sort of stuff, but i still can't manage to quote just part of someones post rather than the whole thing! No need to explain it to me again - i will re-read and try again :)

You can multi-quote, but I don't know how to!

Well that sure as hell didn't work! :eek: :confused:

I'll try again...

yup - if you want to do a quote-by-paragraph for a single post (as opposed to multiple posts as in my previous example), then you need to copy and paste.

wholly ,molly , it WORKS !:p

thanks guys, I learnt something tonight.

Personally if I am going to quote someone paragraph by paragraph, I'll just copy and paste the entire quote as many times as I need and then delete the other paragraphs (works well if the post is relatively short, otherwise, copy and paste the QUOTE and /QUOTE becomes easier).

The number one reason why NOT to just reply with your response inside the quote with coloured text is that when someone else goes to quote you in response, they can't use the Quote button - since it automatically strips out older quotes from your post.

... and as a general comment on quoting ... I hate it when people quote all of a long post and just put their reply at the bottom. The only reason to quote is to add context to your post, and quoting an entire long post doesn't help with context at all :rolleyes:

Me too. :D

Back