Learning to quote properly

Sim said:
yup - if you want to do a quote-by-paragraph for a single post (as opposed to multiple posts as in my previous example), then you need to copy and paste.

Personally if I am going to quote someone paragraph by paragraph, I'll just copy and paste the entire quote as many times as I need and then delete the other paragraphs (works well if the post is relatively short, otherwise, copy and paste the QUOTE and /QUOTE becomes easier).

The number one reason why NOT to just reply with your response inside the quote with coloured text is that when someone else goes to quote you in response, they can't use the Quote button - since it automatically strips out older quotes from your post.

... and as a general comment on quoting ... I hate it when people quote all of a long post and just put their reply at the bottom. The only reason to quote is to add context to your post, and quoting an entire long post doesn't help with context at all :rolleyes:

Yeah that really grinds my gears

Originally Posted by Sim
yup - if you want to do a quote-by-paragraph for a single post (as opposed to multiple posts as in my previous example), then you need to copy and paste.

Personally if I am going to quote someone paragraph by paragraph, I'll just copy and paste the entire quote as many times as I need and then delete the other paragraphs (works well if the post is relatively short, otherwise, copy and paste the QUOTE and /QUOTE becomes easier).

The number one reason why NOT to just reply with your response inside the quote with coloured text is that when someone else goes to quote you in response, they can't use the Quote button - since it automatically strips out older quotes from your post.

... and as a general comment on quoting ... I hate it when people quote all of a long post and just put their reply at the bottom. The only reason to quote is to add context to your post, and quoting an entire long post doesn't help with context at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazz
Me too

Originally Posted by Witzl
Yeah that really grinds my gears

Hmm..testing 1-2 testing 1-2

I like colors.

I think using colors looks better than otherwise, same for when dressing up a garden of a house. Color is good.

Ha ha - this whole topic has given me the giggles and i am still none the wiser... i am usually very good at this sort of stuff, but i still can't manage to quote just part of someones post rather than the whole thing! No need to explain it to me again - i will re-read and try again

Also had to reread and try it out a few times. Strannik, thanks for starting this post. I've been curious about it for a while. However, the mistake in the first post led to me misunderstand how to do this, as I didn't really follow/bother with subsequent posts because of it. Could you edit or add to your first post to clear up the misunderstanding (even though I realise you did that later in the thread)? Others like me might just be inclined to read the first post and then give up.

RE: Multi - quoting
vBulletin can do this ... see the three buttons in the bottom right of each post?

If you don't happen to be logged on when you read this post, you won't see the three buttons in the bottom right of each post.

I generally just quote the persons body once and delete the parts that are not relevant to my response. People can figure out easily enough what you're referring to.

I do that with a single quote but with multi-quoting I found this alternative useful:

Open a new word document.

From thread: Highlight and successively paste into Word document each of the lines/paragrahs in the thread that you want to quote.

Add your comments between the those paragraphs.

In Word: At the beginning of each section that you want to show as a quote, type in the word 'quote' enclosed by square brackets. (only really need to type it once and then it can be copied and pasted each time.)
At the end of each section that you want to show as a quote, type in the following: /quote (enclosed in the square brackets.) (Can copy and paste again).

On Word: Under 'edit' choose 'select all' then right click & select copy.

In Thread: Open up the 'post reply'

In Thread: Paste it all into the newly opened reply box.

Of course then you can preview to make sure that you have got it right.

This is just a variation on previous comments on how to multi-quote but it may help someone, even though there will be too much detail for many. It made it easier to see what I wanted to write as it was on a larger page and there wasn't the distraction of the quote tags in there.

Also, it took a while to discover that if you decide not to use the 'multi-quote' icon at the bottom of a post after having selected it, then it needs to be 'turned off' (ie clicked on so that it is no longer hightlighted) if you didn't want to use this method.

Hope this helps rather than confuses...

Whozat

vBulletin can do this ... see the three buttons in the bottom right of each post?

The first one labelled "Quote" allows you to quote that post in a reply.
The last one with the paper and quill allows you to post a quick reply (no quoting).

The middle one (with the double quotes and the plus sign) allows you to select multiple posts that you want quoted in your reply. You can toggle each post (click it a second time to turn quote off), and then click the "Post Reply" button to start your reply with multiple quotes.

Personally I don't usually bother ... but then I'm a programmer and am used to typing codes like QUOTE and /QUOTE

Can someone come to my house and show me how to do this so I don't have to think and read too hard?

It's a VERY exciting Friday night, isn't it guys?

Regards JO

Can someone come to my house and show me how to do this so I don't have to think and read too hard?

It's a VERY exciting Friday night, isn't it guys?

Would love to come around and help - but I'm having my own exciting Friday night working on a uni assignment that is due on Monday - trying to work out how I can explain in my essay that my lecturer's favourite text book is completely useless in my context :rolleyes:

It is supposed to be a critical analysis of the text, so telling them that the text is wrong is quite valid - provided I can put up a good argument as to why :eek:

Would love to come around and help - but I'm having my own exciting Friday night working on a uni assignment that is due on Monday - trying to work out how I can explain in my essay that my lecturer's favourite text book is completely useless in my context :rolleyes:

It is supposed to be a critical analysis of the text, so telling them that the text is wrong is quite valid - provided I can put up a good argument as to why :eek:

Well Good Luck, SiM,

It sounds like an interesting essay then. What are you studying?

Yes, you can do what my girlfriend did after an exam for her Med degree and write a long letter/essay as to why questions 1, 18, 40 and 25 (or something) were incorrectly phrased, and lacking in relevant information so that she could not answer them correctly. Forgot to ask her if she received a response.:)

Happy Writing.

Regards JO

Also had to reread and try it out a few times. Strannik, thanks for starting this post. I've been curious about it for a while. However, the mistake in the first post led to me misunderstand how to do this, as I didn't really follow/bother with subsequent posts because of it. Could you edit or add to your first post to clear up the misunderstanding (even though I realise you did that later in the thread)? Others like me might just be inclined to read the first post and then give up.

umm, i don't see anything wrong with my first post

as i explained in a second post - when you press 'quote' button you already have a text you are quoting surrounded by tags so all you need to do is break it with [/quote] where you want to put your text, put your text, and then put
so the next part of quoted text appears.

but then again, i'm a programmer so it's all logical to me, while it may not be for normal people :D

I understand now. I mistakenly thought that 'your text' was referring to the section of text that you were wanting to quote. :eek:

Thanks,
Whozat

Back