Legal advice please

I think if you go down the dumping option it would be a good idea to take a photo of her things before you dispose of it. Otherwise if she does decide to sue she might suddendly say she had a renoir collection that she left in your care and you destroyed.

I have decided to go see an uncle of hers that lives nearby. He is a retired minister and a reasonable fellow. A very nice man. I don't have the heart to dump it on his driveway, he is just in a tiny townhouse.
Sounds like a reasonable course of action. Hopefully you can sort something out with the uncle.

I think if you go down the dumping option it would be a good idea to take a photo of her things before you dispose of it. Otherwise if she does decide to sue she might suddendly say she had a renoir collection that she left in your care and you destroyed.

Would she be required to prove what she left behind. Unless your emails list specific items it is her word against yours that she left these items behind.

I would not have kept them that long. She may try and claim that she is still living there but has been away for work. Does any of her mail still come to your address?

Or

Send her an email please collect by 31st March. Then on the weekend before the 31st send another email saying "Thank you for collecting your gear today".

Send her an email please collect by 31st March. Then on the weekend before the 31st send another email saying "Thank you for collecting your gear today".

I like this !!!

Seriously you sound like you are robustly honest. I used to be like that.

In the current situation you have given her a paper trail to prove she has goods left there, and hence you are now locked in to doing things by the book (ie as per the legislation in the link given earlier).

Next time something like this happens, don't communicate with the other party but do some quiet reading around whatever the matter is. You need to know the rules in order to creatively break them.

For example, if the same thing happened to me, I would find the legislation first. This might take a few weeks/months and it gives your mind time to consider all perspectives. eg are an ex partner's goods left behind when they did a runner 'abandoned goods' or are they covered by some other legislation?

I would carefully inspect the goods and slowly, 1 plastic grocery bag each week, begin disposing of the 'rubbish' items. Resist the urge to have a ceremonial bonfire in the backyard with a party for the neighbours.

Slowly over time, anything of higher value that a charity would take (ie no electricals) can be handed in to various charities. Again, slowly bit by bit. As you nibbble away at the edges, you'll find the problem starts to resolve itself.

Hopefully there won't be any Renoirs. If she were to contact you and want XYZ back, you can then truthfully say you "haven't seen it for a long time".

I used to be scrupulously honest but have given it away, all it does is put me at a disadvantage. I'm not cavalier but I'm tired of laws being used against the honest/lawabiding while the other mob do well out of those same laws.

Most women will use men without hesitation and/or have a high sense of unjustified entitlement

I'd say stop being a doormat and throw it out or get as much money as you can for it

I don't know why you insist on being nice, as being nice has got you nowhere , plus you let her get away with her behavior you are I directly saying to her that her behavior is fine and she has a right to treat you like a doormat

Grow a set please

Most women will use men without hesitation and/or have a high sense of unjustified entitlement

Oh puhleeeeaaaase!!! Enough with the generalisations already :roll eyes:

Simon has simply been a gentleman through this and enough is enough. Men never use women... right???

Wonder how you went Simon. Sounds like a tough break!

12 months is a long time. My suggestion.

1. Email her to say she has 24 hours to pick up ( given that you have stored her stuff for 12 months) - failing that the goods will be sold/disposed of to recover storage cost of 12 months
2. Take photos of all possessions to determine the date/time and all possessions
3. Wait 24 hours and then give to the Salvo's.
4. Take photos with Salvo van as proof to show that you are a generous, kind and respectable person who didn't just throw her items away.

End of saga I think.

However, that is just my thought seek legal advice if you wish.

Back