Legal implications to landlord of offering internet to guests/tenants

Just a thought from left field.

Some people actually prefer, when they go away for a break, to be out of a mobile coverage area. That can be a selling point.....where guests are 'forced' to have a proper holiday.

Some people actually prefer, when they go away for a break, to be out of a mobile coverage area. That can be a selling point.....where guests are 'forced' to have a proper holiday.

But the rest of the people make up the majority of your customers !

True - some people feel this way... but unfortunately not all. Most people would be furious if they arrived at a place expecting to have net access, only to find it was not available. People often need net access to make bookings, check/change/confirm flights, etc.

All the holiday homes in a similar price range to mine are prominently advertising that free broadband access is available. I certainly wouldn't want to be the only one not offering it.

If we were in a city area with good data coverage so people could use their own data plans on their iPhones, iPads etc. then I wouldn't worry about bothering to offer wireless broadband. But we're in an area with poor mobile coverage.

I once had the police knocking on the door and asking all sorts of questions, (naturally assuming guilty until proven innocent)....it turned out my flatmate had been using his sisters internet account and they tracked it down to the phone line which was in my name. The sister didn't know who I was so assumed I had been using her account illegally and sent the cops over.

These days you don't have to do anything wrong for the police to assume you are the guilty party.

Far too much risk in anything in your name being used inappropriately to make it worthwhile.

Far too much risk in anything in your name being used inappropriately to make it worthwhile.

and especially now where the situation with downloads of movies and other copyrighted material ISP's is up in the air.

I've heard of cases where people were threatened to be taken to court and agreed to settle paying a few $k for downloading copyrighted material.

Yes, you need to keep records logs. The way most people like stayz do this is by associating a credit card, to an IP / MAC address for traceability.

You can get into hot water, but the reality is that the authorities won't pin you for it if you can demonstrate that the service is used by others (again, logs / rental agreements)

if you want to do free hotspot, you will need some technical hotspot software to manage the logging / credit card auth etc...

-nat

Back