Less than helpful agents

<rant on>

I contacted an agent for a property I'm interested in. It has only just listed and he told me he was planning to have an open house this Saturday. I asked if I could arrange an inspection before then (I think it will get a fair amount of interest at the open house, so I'm trying to minimise competition) and his response was something like:

"Ooh, ummmm, well, I really don't want to do that because it might put the tenants off side, so it's probably best if you just wait till the open house."

What the....? Today is Tuesday. Surely he can organise access with the tenants by Thursday.

Does he want to sell the house? Is he just lazy and couldn't be bothered organising an inspection when he knows he'll probably easily sell it after the open house?

<rant off>

Sometimes people are frustrating.

John.

Its somewhat understandable.. in SA Tenants are really only obliged to provide 1 inspection per fortnight.. the Agent needs to maximise his opportunities to open the property..

If the tenants aren't particularly co-operative he wont want to blow a chance to open the house on a single interested party..

Gotta keep the tenants on-side to ensure the place is clean most of the time as well..

I agree with Duncan,

Tenants are inconveniently put out by open inspections and they are also upset most of the time because someone is selling the home they live in. Interupting them as little as possible is in the best interest of everybody.

Also, if the agent knows the house will sell on the weekend, he only wants one buyer and dosen't really care who it is ;), you may have had a different reaction of it was a "difficult to sell" type house, but because it's one that will move quickly, that's just life :D

Yes, I understand the issue with looking after the tenants. I've just had a couple of these things happen recently and felt like letting off some steam.

The tenants feeling upset because someone is selling their house should actually be in my favour though, as I want them to stay and the agent knows that.

I think one of the problems is that the agents are not taking me seriously as I'm buying from interstate, so they may think it will be a bit of a hassle dealing with me. Easier to sell to someone they can see maybe.

John.

I can think of nothing worse as a tenant than having strangers look over my things (bad enough when you own the place!) let alone thinking that you may be kicked out of the house when sold. So, it is probably fair enough.

Hi Johnnyb,

It may not be the agents fault. We're renting and the house we're in is currently for sale - for auction in late Feb. We are hardly ever here, so have very little time to clean - so I like some good notice before an inspection (I feel obliged to present the house as best we can, I know that's what I would hope for if I was selling an IP). Also, we're the only ones with the keys - agents don't have them so we either need to be home (which isn't often except at night) - or leave one for them in a "safe" place - as we know the agents arrive with clients, who will see the agent finding the key - we change this place everytime, and therefore again need notice. If there was more than one inspection a week, I wouldn't be happy - we've agreed to a time every Saturday.

We're getting no cheaper rent or anything for all this cleaning and preparing the house for each open - so once a week is enough!

Just remember what you felt like when you've sold your own home (having to keep everything clean all the time - having to leave when it's open, knowing people are walking by everyday looking at the board on your house - trying to peek in) - and remember the tenants go no benefit from this at all :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Jen

Just remember what you felt like when you've sold your own home (having to keep everything clean all the time - having to leave when it's open, knowing people are walking by everyday looking at the board on your house - trying to peek in) - and remember the tenants go no benefit from this at all
Hi John,

Have to agree with all the above. Most tenants like to feel comfortable in their home - this doesnt mean they are slobs, but it also doesnt mean that the place should be like a museum 7 days a week. By signing a lease, they effectively take ownership of the house for that period.

I know a lot of nights Im happy to kick my clothes over a chair or leave last nights dinner on the bench - if I was renting a place for sale and was told I had 24 hours to allow an inspection I would definitely insist on my privacy. I recently sold a place with tenants and it was definitely difficult - I tried my hardest to accommodate them, but wasn't prepared to let them live rent free for a month like they asked.

In the end, we settled for twice weekly inspections and them keeping the place neat and tidy, for a free week's rent each month until it sold.

As Dunc and Xenia mentioned, tenants have the upper hand in this situation.

All the best with the inspection,

Jamie.

I can feel for the tenants, but in my house search recently one agent wanted me to wait a week to look at a property because her tenants worked night shift and she didn't want to wake them up.

That's fair enough, but since the Agent wouldn't work after 5, when was anyone supposed to see the property? I think that sometimes, some agents are only willing to work and sell property when it suits them, even when buyers are practically clawing to inspect.

When you work in an industry where commission rates are so high, you really can't afford to expect buyers to fit into a 9-5 profile either, especially when most buyers work full time. Agents should be finding time, rather then creating it.

That said, I never ended up seeing the house, and it ended up staying on the market a lot longer then it should have. There have been times where I have been a tenant and have been put out when the owners have been wanting to sell - but I took it in my stride. That's just how it is.

That's fair enough, but since the Agent wouldn't work after 5, when was anyone supposed to see the property? I think that sometimes, some agents are only willing to work and sell property when it suits them, even when buyers are practically clawing to inspect.
Couldn't agree more. The agent that sold the property I mentioned above did so at 8pm on a Sunday night.

That was the time the tenants gave him, that was the time that suited the buyer, so that was the time he made himself available. HE called me at 8.30pm that night and we had a deal.

Jamie.

I think it will get a fair amount of interest at the open house, so I'm trying to minimise competition

Why would the agent want to help you minimise competition? The more people who see the place, the more chance of getting a good offer. Given you seem eager for the place, I think he has made a judgement call that you will come on the weekend anyway, and you are likely to make a higher offer when others are also expressing interest!

- Dave99

Given you seem eager for the place, I think he has made a judgement call that you will come on the weekend anyway, and you are likely to make a higher offer when others are also expressing interest!

Actually that's not the case.

I'm in Hobart, the property is in Brisbane, I have to go to an effort to organise a PM from one of my other properties (who is going out of her way for me) to do the inspection for me. I made it clear to the agent that this is what I was doing, so I was hoping he would be a bit accommodating and organise a mutually convenient (for him, the tenants, and my PM) time for the inspection. My PM may be required to do something that is more important when the open house is on (eg deal with a tenant of one of the properties she is actually paid to manage).

John.

i've bought at 9.30m on a sunday night ... but you have to remember that agents have families, commitments and lives too.

Oh - definately. But REA's know that their job is incredibly demanding on their time and if that wasn't acceptable they would work in a different industry.

The REA who sold my house to me made about $10,000 comm (plus his salary) from the sale, and the house was only on the market for 3 days.

If I could make that sort of money in 3 days, I'd work 24/7.

Back