Leveraging Up...

OK, so we saw a deal one day. A nice established freehold medical centre with a steady trade in a growing area (in population terms) generally under serviced by doctors. Includes a bunch of doctors from a listed medical company doing a lot of corporate work and separate pharmacy, physio, pathology etc with everyone seeming to do well out of the co-location. Only eight years old and with good depreciation. Leases are well written but aren't quite as "water tight" as we would like if we had commissioned them ourselves.

Looking at the numbers reveals:
- Net yield over 10%, with all outgoings paid by tenants, including our costs of property management. We quite like the concept of tenants paying for the cost of collecting their rent! :)
- Budgeting the full costs of both equity and debt for the deal provides a net cash flow of $70k per year from the property. Better than a kick in the pants...
- The only fly in the ointment is there is only a couple of years left on the anchor lease. Can't have everything I guess... but there is a five year option and we would be genuinely surprised if they didn't take it up as they are making money and the setup is perfect for their operations.

Balancing up the pros and cons we thought it looked like a pretty good deal, so we bought it. Settled the other week.

After three solid years of looking for a decent CIP we have finally found something and jumped straight into the deep end. We shall find out in a couple of years time whether or not it was a good idea! :eek:

With many thanks to the forum members who helped us along this journey. You know who you are and your assistance has been invaluable. Thank You!

After all this time (including a 4 month + settlement) it's been quite a buzz and we're still coming down from the high... :)

Now, onto the next one... ;)

Good luck. Be prepared to find other doctors in case your current tenants leave - medical centres are quite flexible in location but at the moment the numbers look good.

Congrats on that. One piece of advise doctors seem to take their time with leases and like to read the whole thing. Make sure the pm you have gets onto them as soon as you are allowed to.

But good luck and great to hear that there are some good deals around (maybe time to look into a different area):p

Congrat's H.E... well done.

It's a great feeling when a plan comes together after such a long run up (in your case, over 3 years)...

Look forward to hearing about the next one..

B.D..

Great work HE!

I didn't think you could get >10% net yield on these sorts of properties, so that's good to hear.

Is the anchor lease the listed medical group (I'm guessing it would be PHC, as Healthscope de-listed recently)... ?

Thanks all for the kind words.

@ CPM - If the anchor tenants take up their option then we won't get to have another go at the leases for quite some time. I'm in two minds whether to press them about option take up as I don't want them to come back trying to trade off the market rent review against taking up the option. Also, if they still want the place but the option expires without being taken up, it opens up the opportunity to re-negotiate at least some aspects of the lease.

@JIT - Yes, but wrong guess! BTW, the yield on the asking price was 8.5% but by the time we got to them the market had already conditioned the vendors quite a bit...

Congratulation HE,

It is a really good yield.

Is there a ratchet clause with medical CIP leases? Is it considered retail or office?

Did you find it on the web, the newspaper or somewhere else?

Did you buy it locally or did you venture interstate for this?

I am absolutely new at this and thank you very much for sharing your experiences.

Congratulation HE,

It is a really good yield.

Is there a ratchet clause with medical CIP leases? Is it considered retail or office?

Did you find it on the web, the newspaper or somewhere else?

Did you buy it locally or did you venture interstate for this?

I am absolutely new at this and thank you very much for sharing your experiences.

Hi Evan

Thanks. Yes there are ratchets on these leases but that isn't necessarily always a feature. Just something else to be negotiated. The zoning is commercial if that is what you mean - the number of tenants isn't sufficient to give this State's Retail Shops Act any jurisdiction, which is nice.

yeah that new retail act is a doosie - might as well be resi tenants.

congrats on the acquisition - i'm on the partial hunt myself trying to understand as much as possible, but it appears all the "learning" is done after the signing of an offer!

Congratulations on your first comm. deal.

How did you celebrate ??

Thanks Dazz

Well when I got home the kids were just running amok and it took us most of the evening to get them sorted out and into bed.

After that there was just enough time for a celebratory cup of tea before passing out... :rolleyes:

We never feel like celebrating anyway - our thought process at such times primarily revolves around "oh no - what have we done?" thoughts rather than particularly joyful ones. Not to mention getting everything sorted for the settlement was just exhausting. Of course, now it feels like there's nothing much for me to do, so here I am posting again! :)

It didn't help that our normally excellent settlement agent (for RIPs) dropped her bundle big time on this one, despite protestations she does CIPs "all the time". Obviously not - we're not going down that path again... :mad:

People always wonder why Tenants who pay cashflow positive rents simply don't buy the property themselves and tear up the Lease.

There is a multitude of reasons why, but the biggest one seems to be that in their opinion, their capital can be better employed in their business to earn greater money for the organisation.

Whether that belief turns out to be true or not is a matter for the future....

I have posed that very notion to many CFO's in organisations. I'd reckon about 80 to 85% all say it's a complete waste of capital to purchase the premises they operate out of, and would rather claim an instant tax deduction for all of the rent they pay in the year they pay it.

Only a very few support the notion of purchasing the premises, and they weigh in with things such as stability and a feeling of belonging, which obviously cannot be put into a cell on their spreadsheet. In the long run though, when they do, all of the young accountants coming through normally go "phew, they were wise to buy the place way back when for such a tiny sum....not having to pay rent sure does help the organisation in the lean times".

There is a multitude of reasons why, but the biggest one seems to be that in their opinion, their capital can be better employed in their business to earn greater money for the organisation.

Another could be that they already know full well they want to get out of there as soon as they possibly can!

Such is the risk we take... :eek:

Thanks INVSTOR!

There should be a survey of celebralatory beverages of choice after a deal. Do most people here settle with chocolate milk and tea?

Back