Location Profile

In a discussion around the dinner table the other day, some friends of mine challenged my Melbourne demographic knowledge by posing a question:

How I can find a suburb/s in Melbourne that has Middle class income, Mostly young families and elderly people (ie. Not yuppies) and a majority of European background?

We came up with some guess answers, but not knowing if they were right or wrong.

So, can you help me answer this:

(1) Which are the top Melbourne suburb/s that has Middle class income, Mostly young families and/or elderly people and a majority of European background?

(One answer for each of Melbourne west, north, east and south-east, please)

(2) How can I verify this with statistic?

Thank you :)

(1)
North - Carlton has a lot of Italian immigrants
South East - Oakliegh has a lot of Greek immigrants and has become middle class
West & East - I'm not sure where Europeans settled in these areas

When you say Europeans I assume you mean all Europeans and not just anglo-saxons...

(2) Google, ABS??

Simple, just look for areas with a high concentration of large wog houses (I can say that cause i am one) :)
They normally are huge 2 storey, brown brick with concrete balustrades, tiled driveways etc and sometimes vegies growing in the front yard.
Bulleen strikes me as one area out this way, I reckon there plenty of other parts of Melbourne similar.

myrp.net.au also has free suburb profiles which breakdown the demographics of different suburbs in easy to understand pie charts. You can also print these off easily to show your friends if they want to see for themselves.

www.sqmresearch.com.au also has some good free stats.

Otherwise as already stated the ABS.

Back