LOE here we come

Well Done Dazzling good to hear about your long term plan and success also. I hope you right a simple book on commercial property investing so everyone can understand what they don't know.

Well done well i only have another 15yrs to go before i can LOE.

great stuff

Dazzing you got hubby and I all excited about us doing it after reading your post so I pulled out James GG's LOE spreadsheet (thanks again James!!:)) and gave it a whirl (the last one we did was about 18 months ago).

Well we are not there just yet and we were very conservative with our figures but figure we have to keep pumping away for a couple more years then go for it. We are near retirement age anyway so not in the wonderful position you and your wife are in to enjoy your children through their school years. But we are not complaining, owning investments has made a huge difference to our lives and we feel so happy that we have them.

I said to my husband the other day, that a lot of our friends could not own an investment because of the SANF but in my case if we didn't own our 7 IP's, that would really muck up my SANF:D

I feel so happy that in the space of 8 years I see things so differently re borrowing to invest that I could NOT sleep well if I DIDN'T have all this debt!!

Again well done and I would also like to add that I am thrilled that you decided to continue posting, it would have been tragic if you didn't.
Cheers
Petal

Well Done!

Great Work Dazzling,

I haven't posted much as yet, but have found your posts informative and enjoyable (glad I found out what the plastic thing was for in the back pocket of my boardies was for). A lot of your posts have been bookmarked to revisit and I thank you for you candid posts.

Well done, and enjoy your increased time with your girls. I look forward to your book, and put me down for a pre-order!

Cheers,
Horizon

congrats Dazz... working for yourself will be much harder and much more rewarding than making your boss rich!

liked the s/sheet - if I had anyhting that wasnt under development it would provide a good snapshot

OK Daz,

I have to ask the obvious. The property you left in your spread: how did you turn a property bought for $780,000 into a property worth 4.6mil in two years?? Was it just extremely undervalued at the time of purchase? Did you put up a factory? What's the story? Please share it!

Cheers,

Luce

Daz

Congratulations! You have certainly put in the hard work for the past 13 years and thoroughly deserve your success!!! Am sure you will enjoy spending much more time with your girls!!!

Thanks for sharing your spreadsheet! And great news about the book - put me down for a copy, please!!!

Cheers
LynnH

Excellent news

just read the post
Well I guess it's never too late to send my "congratulations"
it's Super news!

First Rixter now you Dazz,
Well done.

at last we might get to see that illusive book.

Dazzling,

With all that cash flow positive commercial property, couldn't you live off the rental income instead?

Or, are you planning on living off rental income AND LOE at the same time?

Or, using the rental income to reduce debt?

If not now, eventually you would think that the net rental income would be so great as to make LOE not neccessary?

Just adding my congratulations to the others - well done mate!

You're an overnight success (only took 13 years :)) and sooooo lucky :rolleyes:

Aimjoy

Dazzling,

With all that cash flow positive commercial property, couldn't you live off the rental income instead?
Was thinking the same thing.

Without knowing the exact figures, why would you LOE if you didn't have to.

Either way, congrats Dazz, great to see your hard work start to bear the fruit you so richly deserve.

Regards
Marty

OK Daz,

I have to ask the obvious. The property you left in your spread: how did you turn a property bought for $780,000 into a property worth 4.6mil in two years?? Was it just extremely undervalued at the time of purchase? Did you put up a factory? What's the story? Please share it!

I already have Luce.....that property is our "ugly duckling" which I wrote about on these forums about 18 months ago.....it's in the archive of this and other forums. I have no clue how to dig it out.

Suffice to say that it was unloved and unwanted. It sat there on the internet (one of only two props we've ever bought from an ad on the internet) for well over 6 months with no takers......what can I say ?? Anyone could have bought it - but nobody but us did.

That's not to say it wasn't keenly sought. The grumpy 79 yr old sod next door (who owns land on both sides of us) desparately wanted it to link up all three blocks. However, the agent was one of these slick new guys who only advertised on the internet. He failed to put up a sign. Of course, the old guy didn't have a computer and couldn't go on the internet. He didn't know it was for sale !!! When he eventually found out I was the new Owner.....suffice to say he was pretty dark and offered me a 100K premium on top of whatever I'd just paid. Lucky I didn't take it hey !!

Was it extremely undervalued at the time ?? No. The asking price on the internet for 6 months dropped from 860K to 840K and then finally to 820K when we stumbled on it.

The agent said I was braver than most, as out of more than 20 parties that had arranged to see the place, I was the only one prepared to stop and get out of the car.....the others simply turned their noses up and drove on. I was definitely out of my comfort zone and had absolutely no-one to ask for help and no books or research material to fall back on. Out on a limb.

I had a quick squizz over the land, trying to see what I could see past the 83 tonnes of rubbish strewn about the place. It's hard to "see" when there is that much cr@p on the block and up against the fences.

I took the wife around after hours to see the place. Her only comments were ;

1. It's absolutely disgusting....I wouldn't pay $ 2,000 for it, and
2. Have you got any idea what sort of nice house we can buy with that money.

Hmmmm....time for some reflection whilst out on my limb.....hmmmm

I offered 680K to start with and got a verbal pasting from the Owner (a bankrupt, enormously fat, lazy truckie and his far worse wife) about how valuable it was.....they'd paid 600K for the place back in '97.....but they didn't know I knew that.

Anyway, she's a very long story.....it took a year to get the dregs of tenants out of there. Installed a good tenant without securing a Lease (he verbally promised me he'd move in and then sign up - then proceeded to tell me to get stuffed he wasn't signing anything - won't fall for that nice guy caper again).

He improved the place for us, but eventually went into liquidation as well (you can read about that sorry saga in the "Risk came through" thread) and now we have a fastidiously clean, slim, organised & neat truckie in there making oodles of money and flicking a bit our way.....and we have him on an executed 42 page Lease that has him locked up tighter than a drum.

Off to the side of all of this, and of no doing on my part, the block of dirt has naturally risen in the general industrial market out there from $ 114 per sqm what we paid for it up to between $ 675 and $ 700 per sqm in 3 years.

If you simply believe experts that warn you that commercial property exhibits low capital growth compared to residential, because it yields higher.....then swallow that line at your peril. I certainly did for about 6 years until I woke up to myself, did some research and got some cold hard numbers and decided to ignore the experts warnings.

I suppose one of the reasons the Land is going up so fast, Owners of businesses here in Perth that operate from premises like this do not want to be subjected to the onerous conditions of being a tenant and are prepared to bid up a place just to secure a good permanent site to operate out of.

To answer your other question, we haven't done anything to improve the place and haven't spent on dollar on improving it or building anything on it. The couple of rusty old sheds what we bought are still there.....and will likely be there in 3 or 4 years time.

I might start plans on developing the land, but really....why muck with something when you don't have to ?? I'm a bit lazy when it comes to that.

I already have Luce.....that property is our "ugly duckling" which I wrote about on these forums about 18 months ago.....it's in the archive of this and other forums. I have no clue how to dig it out.
This the post Daz? I will add my congrat's too... high risk= high reward; You deserve it!
Steve

Off to the side of all of this, and of no doing on my part, the block of dirt has naturally risen in the general industrial market out there from $ 114 per sqm what we paid for it up to between $ 675 and $ 700 per sqm in 3 years.

Wow. That's incredible. Thanks for sharing. Now I think it's time I re-read some of your older posts! :)

Dazzing you got hubby and I all excited about us doing it after reading your post so I pulled out James GG's LOE spreadsheet (thanks again James!!:)) and gave it a whirl (the last one we did was about 18 months ago).

Hey Petal... Could you post that spreadsheet????
Cheers
Sue

This is just wonderful, congratulations Dazzling and family Dazzlings...very very happy for you, what a buzz creating your financial independence, and the new chapters in your lives...

I've just got one word for you......

Enjoy:)

Or, are you planning on living off rental income AND LOE at the same time?

Or, using the rental income to reduce debt?

If not now, eventually you would think that the net rental income would be so great as to make LOE not neccessary?

Yeah, fair question.....and one that the Bankers constantly push me in the general direction of.

They are always going on about "tidying up" the portfolio by selling off the poorly performing residential stock and pumping the equity into higher yielding assets.

That's all very good and all, but they aren't the ones who get stung by the CGT bill.

The underperforming ressy stock (both cap gains and yield) take ALOT of propping up and more than soak up the free cashflow created by our better assets. BUT, the CGT hurdle is so large it's better for us to simply play the Kevin Young plan of sitting on them and "harvesting".

The houses have literally been a fantastic stepping stone onto bigger and better things, but have relegated themselves to be a cashflow millstone around our necks. As I mentioned in a previous post, our longest held ressy prop just finally ticked over to be +CF by $ 13 p.w. before tax....after 10 years of propping it up. The others are grossly negative and frankly I can't see them ever paying their way.

For example, one of our costs $ 1,700 per week to own....and rents for $ 400 p.w. As you can appreciate, it's gonna be a while before it's off my back. When do you think someone will pay me $ 1,700 per week to live in an old 1950's 3 bed house ??? Hmmm.

At 0.25% asset appreciation to keep our head above water.....the cashflow side of things has now become irrelevant. Does that make sense JIT and Marty ??

Back