LOE here we come

Does that make sense JIT and Marty ??
Perfectly Dazz.

I understand everyones numbers will be different.

I'm eventually looking at selling a few IP's off to reduce debt on IP and share/mgd fund loans. They just have to go up a bit more in value.

I could go the LOE route but just don't want the evergrowing debt, even if assets are appreciating at a greater rate.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Granted your numbers are a lot higher than mine, so I understand that CGT might make or break the deal (so to speak) in your situation.

Congrats again mate.

Regards
Marty

Well done Daz,

You're an inspiration. That's a timely reminder for me, because I'm just contemplating borrowing $1M to develop Mona Vale and improve its yield significantly as well as its valuation. But for me that's massive leverage and a bit daunting in the current environment. I know I must do it, I'm just wondering whether I should wait six months and see if the Aussie economy is as robust as everyone tells me it is. I'd hate to be building resi property in Sydney at the top of the interest rate cycle and the beginning of an economic slowdown / recession. But if I don't do it now, then it will be that much later that I create all that equity for me to leverage off to buy big again in Sydney before it booms.

Decisions... decisions...

Anyway, off topic, so please ignore. Just wanted to say a big Well Done!

Cheers mate,
Michael

But what if commercial property prices crash!
Sorry! Couldn't resist. :)

Fortune favours the brave. Took a lot of courage to go down the path you did.

Big Well Done and big thanks for all your posts along the way.

DAZ!!! That's just fantastic!!! Well done.

I suspect you've had a few people tell you that you couldnt do it along the way. I'm guessing you've had some or all of the below thrown your way...

You were just lucky
You must have taken huge risks
How could you take those risks when you have mouths to feed?
Dirty, filthy capitalist
It'll never work
Here, put your money in this balanced managed fund...
You paid HOW MUCH? For THAT?

It's good to see you didnt take too much direction from the nay-sayers. Good to see you back posting on the forum and Well Done.

TB

Yeah TB we've had all those and more....the low point was when the bikie associate installed in one shed threatened to blow up my PPoR with family inside and I spent 3 hours at the police station registering the complaint. It didn't help when the cop typed in his name and his record kept on scrolling down for page upon page of offences. He subsequently bashed to a pulp an elderly couple elsewhere and is currently serving 4 years in jail....a charming fellow indeed. The wife sorted him out quick smart with her marine grade chain and lock. hahahaha....

She's not all skipping throught he daises when you buy hovels like this....but then other investors who've picked up a 'doer-upper' know this all to well.

Given the equity increases we've enjoyed of late, there is no need to delve into this risky market any longer (although the rewards can be extreme) and we've tempered our property selection somewhat since then to a more respectable genre.

....and what if commercial proeprty crashes.....dunno - no idea, how's that for a risk strategy ?? I suppose we'll bunker down and monitor the tenants to see whether they stay and keep paying the rent for the years left on their Leases. We've got 3 and 6 month bonds up our sleeve, so that adds a bit of robustness to the cashflows I suppose. At less than 1% vacancy rate, there are oodles of players lined up to rent properties if the incumbent folds.

We just went through that recently and it was marvellous how much extra we could charge - a real bonus actually.

Congratulations Dazzling.

I have enjoyed reading your posts in recent months.

Your story is very inspirational for a newbie (like me) starting out on this journey.

Enjoy your family.

Best regards
Dean

Hi Dazzling

CONGRATULATIONS on your (semi) retirement

From memory we have JoeD, KeithJ, and a number of others LOE with yourself and Rixter to shortly join the ranks, plus a large number of investors on the Forum in some form of (semi) retirement (we need a list to keep up); the road ahead looks pretty good ;)

Getting from 59% LVR to 22% at 7% over 15 years is great and I'd agree the extra 2% aint worth it in comparison to the other/family option

I had a play around with some arbitrary figures here at around 59% LVR on a $20M Portfolio (made sense to put in some large figures as my portfolio figures didn’t look as impressive) not sure how accurate they are though looking at them (maybe the maths whiz kids can help with any errors ;)).

Loans all Interest Only

i.e.

IP Value $20,000,000
IP Loans $11,600,000

58.82% LVR

Interest Rate 8%

Rent return on Large Commercial Portfolio 10% :D thought why not go large, 8% is only $400k less anyhows and didn't affect LVR

Rent Income $2,000,000

Rent Growth 4% P/A

Rates/Repairs/Insurance 0.75%

Portfolio Cap Growth 7%

Income Year 1 $150,000
Income Growth 5% P/A

At Year 15 LVR at 33.26% Income now (via LOE at $311k) IP Value $55,180,630 Rent $3,601,887

And Year 16 LVR at 32.61% Income now (via LOE at $327k) IP Value $59,043,274 Rent $3,945,962

Happy Days indeed ;)

PS:looking fwd to the book as well, with your writing style it should be an enjoyable read ;)

Last edited:
Hi Daz

You've done fantastic- well done.

I have a brother in law who is EXTREMELY comfortable with his own commercial portfolio, having started in resi. So I've seen what he's done, and I can understand the risks taken along the way, as well as the rewards.

I've got an impression that you took some very big risks, and the rewards came through. But I'm wondering what may have happened if any single item along your path had been a little different.

I'm not putting down what you have achieved. But I've seen people who have taken smaller risks than yourself, and who have not succeeded.

I guess I want to say to the future Dazzlings. Rewards can be great. But so can risks. Evaluate them all. And make a decision which includes a fair valuation of what can go wrong.

If it goes well, following what he has done, you owe Daz a few slabs of the best champers money can buy.

But if it doesn't, he owes you nothing.

At 0.25% asset appreciation to keep our head above water.....the cashflow side of things has now become irrelevant. Does that make sense JIT and Marty ??

Yes, that makes sense.

A few others here planning on LOE would probably also have portfolios at around 60% LVR and close to neutrally geared...or better even, but, I think the 0.25% is the clincher here.

I suspect however, that most people planning to LOE are basing it on CG of at least 3% to 5%, or even 7% pa, to stay afloat.

Hopefully you'll continue to have a friendly relationship with the banks, seeing as you'll be relying, to a large degree, on their money and 'bank valuations' to fund your living costs/lifestyle.

It also makes more sense to hold and not liquidate 'growth' assets given that you're relatively young, and there's plenty more time for compounding to take effect...

G'day Dazzling, I'm a bit late reading this thread but am inspired by it, congrats !

Regarding doing the calcs with your wife, you said you used a caculator but did you also use or base your work on James GG's or one of your own LOE spreadsheets ?

Congrats Daz. Great achievement.

You come across as someone who will be bored with 'retirement' in less than 12 months.

What's next?

BTW put me down for a book.

Cheers
Aaron

There's some great feedback there, thank you all for that.

Cheers Dean, I hope you get something out of it to apply to your situation.

Hiya Redwing - yes Joe just lives around the corner from me and has apparently been LOE for the past year or so.....although he did say he went back onto contract work cos of the cashflow....so I'd definitely like to speak to him some more on this subject.

Happy days indeed...as long as the Bank wants to play ball....;) But then - why wouldn't they ??

Absolutely GeoffW and thanks for highlighting the risks....cos they can be substantial. The risks can come in many forms, and nothing is smooth sailing at the start of an acquisition. Cashflow hiccups, people lying to you, tenants refusing to pay rent, malicious damage with big equipment, shrewd business operators who have been around the block a few times, neighbours stealing stuff after hours when no-one is there, hot and dirty work, higher interest rates, confusing finance set ups, border disputes, councils wanting to change zonings on you, big upfront chunks of cash spent on stuff you hadn't dreamt of, over zealous ladies in charge of business expenses who constantly have their residential hat on and refuse to read the Lease documents and start every sentence with "I believe", partners getting scared, bugger all people to ask for help, no family members ever owning similar things to use as a sounding board, tenants going into liquidation and slimy directors hiding behind corporations - just like we are taught to do by our soliciotrs and accountants......the list goes on and on......it's not easy and it's not cookie cutter repetition.

JIT - yes agreed - the lower that figure is, the more confident you can be going into the LOE arrangement.....I wonder what the Banks would be comfortable with ??

Patosan - nothing fancy as yet, just a pencil and calculator at this stage....we have enough fat in the system to not have to polish the numbers too much. Had a squizz at James GG's XLS, looked OK but I'd like to modify it a bit for our personal circumstances. I find adjusting for the changing appreciation rate every year and guessing what that is to be the hardest thing to predict. Chuck in a good 20% year and everything is happy days. Have a few -3% and -5% years and things could get ugly quickly.

Aaron - quite looking forward to be bored for a while. My task over the next few years is to learn how to have fun and pick up a few hobbies. I'm keen to do a manual arts course and get my practical skills up to snuff. So far I can drive a broom, rake and chainsaw very well. I'd very much like to learn how to weld, lay bricks, work with wood and get my confidence levels up more with all of the handyman stuff.

Travel is also right up there on the agenda. The wife and I have booked a holiday over to Qld in April, and we paid the deposit this morning on a cruise leaving Fremantle in May. Never done that before, but keen to try it out. Rewarding ourselves is starting to come up on the agenda now that we can afford to spend a bit without affecting anything.

I remember reading Qld007 'retired at 38' and then went back to work after being bored on the golf course.....so who knows.....but I may give digging holes in the ground a miss as a job next time around. :)

hi all
with risk comes rewards
this is not something that anyone has made up its the way of the world.
yes geoff some people make it and they manage risk.
I hope you well to loe but I think you will want to keep investing maybe not in this type of forum but invest all the same.
I maybe different from a few here as I think you have a lot longer to go on your journey and thats not just this type of investing.
why
because to get where you have got you have the want and the urge to do that next deal.
so for me I hope not only (that you take that challenge to get that deal
but you also win
its as a very old school saying goes
a crown for the one that strives
also
a very old saying goes like this
you can win and lose money
up can make and lose fortunes
but ideas are the things that will gain you both.
and even if you lose everything as long as you have ideas you will always rise to the top.
for me you see an idea and you make it happen.
its the difference for me from people wanting to try to say not to invest against people saying how can I invest.
money is paper but the ideas are what make thoughts work
so for me I think we may (as I hope) hear alot more from you even if not on these shores.
good luck
even thou I don't think you need it.

Just wanted to add my congratulations to you and your family Dazzling
on this magnificent milestone !

Your posts are always very inspiring - thanks for sharing and pls put me
down for a copy of your book. You must be thrilled with all the pre-orders !

Cheers

i felt so proud of you, i got a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.

fantastic journey daz and we have loved being on the ride with you (even if we did snap words at each other when i first joined).

in the same thread you have both inspired and scared the bejesus out of me ... great work.

fortune favours the brave, and the hard working.

For example, one of our costs $ 1,700 per week to own....and rents for $ 400 p.w. As you can appreciate, it's gonna be a while before it's off my back. When do you think someone will pay me $ 1,700 per week to live in an old 1950's 3 bed house ??? Hmmm.

Are you saying it is costing you almost $65K plus to hold each year?(ouch!) Have you done the numbers on that one? Given CGT can be no more than 25% and even less when you are retired and maybe earning "nothing" ? If you also take into account the money you can make on the cash with investment during the 12 to 18 months before you hand it over to the tax department it might not be as painful as you think.

Best of luck Dazzling on your new journey. FWIW IMO 0.25% is really conservative (especially as you've used 1.7x expenses). At 1.2x expenses it's probably 0% asset growth. If for whatever reason it doesn't work out then it wasn't a failure, it was a 'mini-retirement'.

I'm really looking forward to the book as well. I really like your straightforward writing style.

Congrats Daz!

Don't forget to stick around and help us who're not so fortunate (yet!). And I'd like to hear what financial freedom feels like so please enlighten us when you have the time :)

Looking forward to read the book (I hope it's witty like ur posts)! :D

Daz .......No never bored on a Golf Course but no one around under 65 on a Monday - Friday morning when you are free and ready to play.

Part time work and living off investment is the best of both worlds.

Congratulations Dazzling. I couldn't get my head around you bing worth millions and continuing to work in a job you hated. I was hoping you'd write a book. I love your writing style! I've had many laughs reading your posts and they're always interesting. If you printed off all the posts you've made in forums your book would be half written!
Enjoy your new lifestyle whatever you end up doing!!
I second GoAnna's last reply also. I'd consider just selling one to get rid of a bit of negative cashflow.

Back