Logan: Getting a bit too hot?

Anyone on the ground in Logan at the moment? What's the market like? Thinking of offloading an underperforming property to seek other opportunities.

I enquired about sales results of a townhouse at Waterford about two weeks ago and was told it had multiple offers from investors and owner occupiers

Anyone on the ground in Logan at the moment? What's the market like? Thinking of offloading an underperforming property to seek other opportunities.

I know of investors who are actively looking, care to give any details of your property, e.g. highset, lowest, corner block, number of bedrooms, bathrooms, land size, rough location, etc...

Just bought in Logan

I just bought my 1st IP in Logan, bought a 3 bed, 2 bath for 295. renting for 350. I bought through a buyers agent as I am very bad with price negotiations. I am looking for my next property now, and I am not sure to buy in Logan again as it is still have room to move, or go find somewhere else to mitigate the risk, advice will be really appreciated.

I just bought my 1st IP in Logan, bought a 3 bed, 2 bath for 295. renting for 350. I bought through a buyers agent as I am very bad with price negotiations. I am looking for my next property now, and I am not sure to buy in Logan again as it is still have room to move, or go find somewhere else to mitigate the risk, advice will be really appreciated.

may i ask how much the BA charged?

Congrats on your first purchase and welcome to the forums.

My advice for your next purchase, wherever it may be, would be to not use a buyers agent as the property with the numbers you purchased is the norm in Logan and you can pretty much pick up something like that by paying asking price on standard realestate.com.au listings

If you can find it, try to go for a highset with legal height for the bedrooms downstairs in Logan - Logan Central, Woodridge, Slacks Creek, Kingston, Crestmead, Marsden etc
Then you can rent the downstairs as an 'auxiliary unit' (self-assessable) with minimal hassles.
Legal height is 2.4m for the bedroom, 2.1m for kitchens, bathrooms

Otherwise, find a highset with rooms/bathroom built under so you can either rent out to a large extended family/friends and have the possibility open for renting out the downstairs as an 'auxiliary unit' as well

Logan hasn't boomed yet in my opinion

If you can find it, try to go for a highset with legal height for the bedrooms downstairs in Logan - Logan Central, Woodridge, Slacks Creek, Kingston, Crestmead, Marsden etc
Then you can rent the downstairs as an 'auxiliary unit' (self-assessable) with minimal hassles.
Legal height is 2.4m for the bedroom, 2.1m for kitchens, bathrooms

Otherwise, find a highset with rooms/bathroom built under so you can either rent out to a large extended family/friends and have the possibility open for renting out the downstairs as an 'auxiliary unit' as well

Logan hasn't boomed yet in my opinion

I never actually understood if this was a good investment strategy...primarily because I don't understand how you can rent out both top and bottom of a highset without significant sound insulation done in between?

Most highsets I've seen are standard floorboards and I can't imagine anyone wanting to live in a space with creaking and knocking above them everyday

This owner rents out his 2 downstairs granny flats on an on-going basis
Maybe he floats on air or is just very light-footed :D
Pretty good income for him all the same :)

Upstairs:
Owner occupied,3bedroom,1 bathroom, kitchen, large lounge and dining.
Downstairs:
Granny flat 1: 1bedroom, 1 bathroom, kitchen, lounge and dining, currently rented at $190 per week
Granny flat 2: 1bedroom, 1 lounge, kitchen, lounge and dining, Currently rented at $270 per week, SEPARATE electricity meter.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-rochedale south-118483755

No fence required around the pool? That looks dangerous.

There is wire fencing around the pool (2 sides), then the other 2 sides are the wooden fencing. But yes, have to check if pool fencing is adequate and compliant. Not recommending this property specifically, just an example of income from granny flats downstairs. ;)

Hi Beanie Girl,

I understand you have a few properties leased in this configuration. What does it cost to fire rate them so that a fire downstairs doesn't spread through the floor to upstairs?

If upstairs and downstairs tenants are on separate leases and therefore are considered separate households insurance would have a field day if the building wasn't fire rated. Not an issue if everyone is on a single lease and considered just the one household.

Cheers,
Dave

Congrats on your first purchase and welcome to the forums.

My advice for your next purchase, wherever it may be, would be to not use a buyers agent as the property with the numbers you purchased is the norm in Logan and you can pretty much pick up something like that by paying asking price on standard realestate.com.au listings
Thanks Newbieatlife for your response. The buyers agent reduced the asking price by 15K's. I know it is not a big difference, and usually sellers put additional 5% to negotiate. but I live in NSW, and it was hard for me to do this job myself for the first time. I considered that money as a cost of investment. she arranged the whole thing from looking for the property until securing the rent. I reviewed everything she has done, and she has done it to lowest cost.

Cheers
Ram

Anyone got any opinions on Browns Plains? Rental yield is quite nice and compared to the suburb next door of Drewvale it's priced about $150 k lower

I mean no disrespect to the poor people whose homes have been destroyed, but the overnight storms is a timely reminder of the floods etc does their qld weather scare anyone else or is it just me?

we are in the cooling off period of a townhouse cheapie and our building inspection is for monday so I guess that is good so we can see if any damage has been done

this photo is pretty crazy (ps this building is not in logan....)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...0127338170739.322801.579080738&type=1&theater

Back