Look what I woke up to this morning

In the 6 yrs of living at our ppor I have never seen one of these out of my window but this morning it appeared above the nearby hill just as I was arising from slumberland. Any of you out there been for a ride in one of these?

Attachments

• DSCF3016.JPG
    DSCF3016.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF3021.JPG
    DSCF3021.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 72
Rockstar

Haven't been for a ride in one of those (I prefer to do my flying in something with 4 big engines! :p), but they 'fly' over our daughter's house every weekend - and quite low, too. It drives her poor dog absolutely ballistic! Nothing else scares him, even huge storms ... but it would appear that he's terrified of hot air balloons.

Cheers
LynnH

LOL, Unbelievable where the guys get to.

A couple of years ago, about a month after we moved into our newly built house, I was woken up at 5.30am by what I thought what a fighter jet turning it s engines on and off. Looked out the window and there was this huge baloon just about to land in our back yard. At the time we didnt have any fences up and we watched it glide past our 2nd story bedroom window about 3m away and land on the road next to our house. The house is on a corner block.

Don't believe how close it came? then check the photo's out.
This was in the middle of a new development in Kellyville area in Sydney and all the houses are on ~600-700m2 blocks, so they're packed in tight.

The first photo is taken standing on my back deck. The second is taken from the front balcony upstairs and it shows four guys dragging/floating it down the street to the park on the right hand side so they can fold it up.

I was told by one of the guys that the military/police ordered them to land immediately as they were in 'temporary' controlled air space or something like that. Apparently it was because of the APEC summit in Sydney at the time. I think it was the APEC one anyway, it was the one that the 'Chaser' guys got into strife with. Not sure if its true or not but that what one guy told me.

Attachments

• baloon1.jpg
    baloon1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 108
  • baloon2.jpg
    baloon2.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 99
That's amazing Shady. :eek:

Was the thing out of control or did the Balloonist steer it accurately onto the road? Could have been a gruesome affair.

I don't know how accurately these people steer these things, but we often get them around our suburb. One morning about eleven years ago I was walking my youngest in a pram very early in the morning and we followed the very low balloon to see where it would land. It landed in the back car park of the Sultan's Kitchen restaurant in Coorparoo. If anybody knows the restaurant (the old one, not the current one) they would know the back car park was tiny. As the balloon lowered into the carpark it scraped down the guttering of the old double story block of shops. The other side was tall trees, so it looked like an egg being lowered into a milk bottle. There is a park just over the hill which I think they were probably aiming for, but perhaps lost too much height and had to land somewhere else.

I was quite amazed that they managed it.

No way would I get into one of these things.

Early one morning I walked out the back of my shed to visit the "Mens" room if you know what I mean.
The I hear..."OY!"
Looking around all over, no idea where it came from, finished my business, then relised who it was, looked up to see a dozen lenses.

They must see some sights, the people who fly them that is.

Early one morning I walked out the back of my shed to visit the "Mens" room if you know what I mean.
The I hear..."OY!"
Looking around all over, no idea where it came from, finished my business, then relised who it was, looked up to see a dozen lenses.

They must see some sights, the people who fly them that is.

funny...

I'm sure it would be a cool feeling to be up there too

That's amazing Shady. :eek:

Was the thing out of control or did the Balloonist steer it accurately onto the road? Could have been a gruesome affair.

There was only about 10m to our rear boundary and the neighbours behind us had a 3m to the same boundary, the pilot must have had control because it straight down the middle of the two houses to land on the street beside the house. To accurate to be a fluke.

'Evening All,

Would love to put some pics on here of "some of the things I have woken up to" over the years.....but you would need a strong stomach. Usually found them at the Findon Hotel in Adelaide or Lennies at Glenelg.

Funny, I can't seem to remember too much about them....maybe this is a good thing?

Cheers,

Ian

You have reminded me. When I first moved into my PPOR last year I used to see lots of hot air balloons flying over in the morning. They must be from the Yarra valley. I haven't seen them in ages! I thought they would reappear over summer, maybe in mid/late spring.

Sent my partner up in one in January as a birthday gift. Partner reckons it was a great experience & would go again anytime.

Cheers
Stella

We were due to get Married in one almost three years ago. Had to cancel the night before due to high winds. Was pretty gutted but ended up tying the knot at O'reilly's Winery on the GC so was still a great day.....Plus I didn't have to get up at 3am to do my hair! :rolleyes:

My wife gave me a ride in one (she came too) last year for my birthday. It's definitely worth doing and the sights are spectacular. We went to Northam in the Avon Valley area of WA, took off real early from the 2nd set up area and went for breakfast after to 'Fitzgeralds'. Ya gotta do it once for the experience and to see how good those balloon pilots really are. This is a photo (if it works) of our balloon reflecting in the Avon River.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4481&stc=1&d=1236605116

Attachments

• Ballon flight 23.8.2008 040.jpg
    Ballon flight 23.8.2008 040.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 126
What an awesome photo. But I just thought about falling out, or dropping my camera. I really don't like heights, unless I am strapped in and really, really confident that what I am on will not fall out of the sky :eek:.

Wylie, You should try strapping on a hangglider until you get the hang of it, or take up flying ultralights as I do.... What a buzz!!

Rockstar, $250 each for about 45 minutes and a champaigne breakfast after.

The black rectangle in the centre of the photo is the basket we were in; there is 20 passengers and the pilot in there. The pilot stands in the centre with the passengers positioned according to weight - The heavy people are positioned on the ends, how do I know.... that's where he put me:)

Back