Looking at travelling? Best places in the world you've visited that you'd recommend!

I am glad someone mentioned Dubrovnik! On our last trip to Europe, it was a toss up between Sevilla and Dubrovnik.

HI there
just wondering if you have considered a cruise around the South Pacific - you get to visit a few ports - have wonderful meals - don't have to pack and unpack bags - have entertainment laid on all the time - meeting interesting people - and generally enjoy the journey. Our most recent cruise left from Brisbane and visited Lifou, Port Vila and Noumea and was a most enjoyable family holiday.
thanks

So much to enjoy, to choose from, it kinda gets down to what you enjoy about the world...

To get around the majority of places there are transport pass's, you can get the daily, weekly whatever you want; I just found that really useful (for me) more so than hiring a car, railway or buses will just about take you anywhere...(and walk from there; -or bike see below).

London:

http://www.365tickets.com/infoPage.cfm?pageid=63

**How do I find special money-saving offers online?

We always have special offers on our site! Click on our latest 'Special Offers' and it will take you straight to all the different options. We also offer combination discounts of up to 10% when you book several attractions at the same time. You don't even need to visit them all on the same day, as they can be spread over a 2-week period. After you have chosen to buy the first attraction, the reduced price you would pay if you chose another attraction will be indicated. The attractions available to add are shown on a drop-down selection list. When you have chosen all the attractions you want, click the 'proceed to checkout' button**

I love the history, the geography of a place, the buildings, the galleries, museums, (science/art/war/observatories), the bridges, the people! the food....the local natural features....

-Wales in UK often gets overlooked, it is breathtaking in it's beauty....Scotland; one of my favorite countries, Edinburgh for it's people with such great humor and whiskey..Eirrreland.:)

-Found it easier to rent short term apartments than pay hotel per night in the likes of Paris, London, Rome...any of the cities really.. especially if you can share acc, eg:

www.parisleftbankrental.com

-the markets in any of these cities have great produce and food and stalls (for cheaper eating)..

or// Hiring bikes or scooters is fantastic (as long as they don't get knocked off outside the pubs-ahem!)....(especially biking around Munich and Amsterdam).

-Ottoman empire buildings in Istanbul! (the bazaar)

Florence , Rome (check out the catacombs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_of_Rome ) ...Venice...some beautiful photography to be had there (and your photography you do not have to pay anybody for :) -I found it beneficial not to eat, drink or even sit down in Venice :D)

-Austria; Vienna is just one of the most beautiful cities.

-Switzerland is perfect...it is just perfection.

There is just so much, I like going off the track of the touristy stuff, as well..(do all the famous sites tho' they aren't famous for nothing) ...but it's good to get into into the smaller pubs, eating areas, backstreets; without being too risky..off the main drags...one thing that was really beneficial was learning tidbits of French, German, Italian, Swedish etc..some Thai (the people of Thailand are some of the most amazing and beautiful people in the world-Land of Smiles)..majority of places you'll be fine, english is quite prevalent but it's just nice to say hello and thankyou to people in their own language. That and showing respect for their culture and country...the good vibes come back to you; it's a great feeling and honor.

(...and fun)

You will just have a ball ...and follow your bliss.

Europe - unbeatable memories and destinations

Have had 3 holiday trips to Europe in the past 2 years. We love anywhere rural in Italy, the northern villages of Lake Como are outstanding, welcoming and away from the tourism madness. Croatia is spectacular, with azure blue waters and relatively cheap travel. Some people say we should be spending our money on IPs, but life is too short to miss the opportunity to travel the world if you can. We were lucky enough to do it with our children, and the shared memories are priceless and so enriching. Yes European travel can be expensive but here are some tips:
1. Look for house swaps.
2. Don't eat in restaurants regularly. Light meals you put together in your hotel room can be nutritious and very yummy - cheese for entree, cured meats and salad for a main, fresh fruit or yogurt for dessert. The best thing to find is a supermarket and shop where the locals shop.
3. Resist souvenirs. They have to be carried or posted back (expensive!). And when you get home they so often look tacky or out of place.
4. Try and travel midweek on planes and long-distance trains. That's when you get bargains.
Happy travelling!:)

Trekking in Himalayas

We just got back from trekking to Everest Base Camp .

If you're into walking it's pretty special. It costs about US$20 per day for a couple (plus US$10 if you want a porter) while trekking. We went independantly - organised tours would probably cost US$100+ each per day.

The walking is easy - max of 5km per day, but up to 1000m of ascent/descent. And when you get up to base camp there's around 50% of the oxygen in the air compared to sea level, but don't let that put you off - you get used to it. There are good tracks all the way - it's hard to get lost as there are v. few junctions. And all the tea houses offer a good variety of local and western food (inc Mars Bars, Coke & beer) and comfortable beds.

We flew in/out of Lukla, so it took 7 days walking to get there & 3 days back, although we did have perfect weather (except 1 snow day which coincided with a rest day) and didn't do some planned side trips.

Lukla Airstrip - gradient 10%
P1000521.jpg

Everest viewed from Kala Patar
P1000939.jpg

Base Camp
P1010093.jpg

More photos here.

Keith!!

Absolutely amazing adventure; photos magnificent and very stark and yet beautiful.

I am a little partial to climbing stuff:p .....enjoy my stumblings and slobberings over at Mt Arapiles (Natimuk) and Grampians-Gariwerd....I look forward to this; *trekking to Everest Base Camp*

Altitude fun. :)

Checked out your other pictures, just breathtakingly beautiful !

Way to go Keith.

Thankyou

Back