looking for a job that fits property investing needs

Hi all,

New to the forums but i'm a long time investor...

Might be a bit of a controversial topic, but I'm currently looking for a new job purely for the sake of getting payslips and a bit of extra cash to futher leverage and grow my portfolio of cashflow properties

Essentially I am looking for a corporate desk role with the highest paying base but essentially would be a job where I will have a lot of free time to focus on my own property investment..

I've done a number of jobs that have accomodated these needs within sales/business development, but once they were fed up with me being a slackarse and not bringing in business into the company after a few months, I pretty much got the sack from each of them (albeit I managed to purchase a number of properties within the short timeframe for each role I was able to hold).....

Would anyone have any ideas or experience on what other jobs I can do to "leverage" off to keep purchasing properties? A 9-5 job where I don't have to care about anything and just go through the motions (or less) shouldn't be that hard right? :D

I Look forward to your responses..

Thanks,

Steve

Hi all,

New to the forums but i'm a long time investor...

Might be a bit of a controversial topic, but I'm currently looking for a new job purely for the sake of getting payslips and a bit of extra cash to futher leverage and grow my portfolio of cashflow properties

Essentially I am looking for a corporate desk role with the highest paying base but essentially would be a job where I will have a lot of free time to focus on my own property investment..

I've done a number of jobs that have accomodated these needs within sales/business development, but once they were fed up with me being a slackarse and not bringing in business into the company after a few months, I pretty much got the sack from each of them (albeit I managed to purchase a number of properties within the short timeframe for each role I was able to hold).....

Would anyone have any ideas or experience on what other jobs I can do to "leverage" off to keep purchasing properties? A 9-5 job where I don't have to care about anything and just go through the motions (or less) shouldn't be that hard right? :D

I Look forward to your responses..

Thanks,

Steve

Sit back get ready for all the people ready to recommend you...

Definitely contraversial :)

I still take enough pride in my job to do it well and I love it so I am lucky. I work a 9 day fortnight (9hrs a day) so that I can have every second Friday off which I cram with IP stuff if required.

Setting yourself up to get sacked again is not going to look good when you are credit risked. I think there is a limit to how much a bank will like a spotty work history.

So either find a job where it's harder to get sacked - dare I say govt or local govt? Or find a job that you have really good skills at so can perform well in minimum time.

Thanks Westminster I will definetly trawl through some local/state government job boards.....good base, flexible work hours...sounds good!

I think the way I phrased the post could conjure up some negative perceptions, though I suspect that even though I'm being bluntly honest, my sentiments reflect the way of thinking of many people who are in property investment with a goal of retiring early...

I have a friend as useless as breasts on a bull. He does little work, has no skills, no common sense and is a buffoon. Yet he has just secured a $200k pa job with a major IT company where he starts at 9am, has coffee at 10am 2 hour lunch starting at 12 and then it is back to the office so he can makes social phone calls until 4.30 when he gets ready to leave at 5 on the dot. He also gets free parking. And the office is opposite a brothel...

Going back a few haircuts, I worked as a concierge for a hotel. On the graveyard shift, no-one (concierge, night manager, front desk, in-room dining, security) did anything. Just sit around hoping the phone didn't ring. I got a lot of study done in this time, and a bunch of sleep, too.

Maybe look at jobs with a slow night shift.

Thanks Westminster I will definetly trawl through some local/state government job boards.....good base, flexible work hours...sounds good!

I think the way I phrased the post could conjure up some negative perceptions, though I suspect that even though I'm being bluntly honest, my sentiments reflect the way of thinking of many people who are in property investment with a goal of retiring early...

Also try water utilities ?
i am in a similar job :D
over the years the interest and zeal to produce more than required at work has died down...
most folks are not honest..i'd read somewhere if your vacation and vocation are separate then you are in a rut !

Last edited:
I have a friend as useless as breasts on a bull. He does little work, has no skills, no common sense and is a buffoon. Yet he has just secured a $200k pa job with a major IT company where he starts at 9am, has coffee at 10am 2 hour lunch starting at 12 and then it is back to the office so he can makes social phone calls until 4.30 when he gets ready to leave at 5 on the dot. He also gets free parking. And the office is opposite a brothel...

must be a DBA...but buffoon = DBA does not compute :p

hahaha, funny post of the day

Definitely contraversial :)

I still take enough pride in my job to do it well and I love it so I am lucky. I work a 9 day fortnight (9hrs a day) so that I can have every second Friday off which I cram with IP stuff if required.

Setting yourself up to get sacked again is not going to look good when you are credit risked. I think there is a limit to how much a bank will like a spotty work history.

So either find a job where it's harder to get sacked - dare I say govt or local govt? Or find a job that you have really good skills at so can perform well in minimum time.

the last thing we need are more slack clowns in the public sector, pls dont encourage the OP.

sounds perfect! care to PM me the company name? :D

I think my job is similar to what wanted but not as slack as you described:)

I work in a data modelling industry. I do my work such a way that everything is reasonably automated through syntax based programming. What that means is that I get little breaks while my PC massages databases and crunches numbers.

This is enough time for me to make a call or do a little bit of research on the web done using my tab. Everybody knows and can see that I’m using the tab for non-work purpose. Nobody really cares since I get the work done faster (and more accurate) than anyone else.
I do follow few rules for my own sake though.
1. Never let those 'brakes' to disturb my day job
2. Always perform better than the performance plan or over deliver
3. Never use work resources for my personal financial gain.

Like westmnister said, find a job which you are really good at and at least perform as expected of you.

Not really controversial, a few smart guys are doing it but this guy got caught. If your job allows you to outsource then go for it.

Man outsources job to watch cat videos and surf Reddit

A software developer at a U.S. company secretly outsourced his job to China so he could spend his work days watching cat videos, browsing Reddit and shopping on eBay, according to Verizon's security team.

The developer, described as an unassuming man in his 40's who worked for a "critical infrastructure company,", paid a company in Shenyang, China, just a fifth of his six-figure salary to do his work while he goofed around on web all day, according to investigators for Verizon, which handled the company's tech operations.

The unidentified company began investigating last May after noticing someone logged onto their private network from China. The person was using the unidentified office drone's log-in info.

The programer, meanwhile, identified as "Bob," was at work at the time, "right there, sitting at his desk, staring into his monitor," Verizon inspector Andrew Valentine wrote on the security blog.

Verizon investigators searched Bob's computer and found hundreds of invoices from a third-party developer in Shenyang, as well as evidence he had sent the company his log-in credentials.

Investigators also got a peek into Bob's daily web activity.

He spent most mornings watching cat videos and surfing Reddit. In the afternoons, he browsed for bargains on eBay and cruised Facebook before clocking out at 5 p.m.

"Evidence even suggested he had the same scam going across multiple companies in the area. All told, it looked like he earned several hundred thousand dollars a year, and only had to pay the Chinese consulting firm about fifty grand annually," Valentine wrote.

He'd been running the scam for at least six months, the blog said. During that time, he received sparkling performance reviews from the company's HR department.

"Quarter after quarter, his performance review noted him as the best developer in the building," Valentine said.

British tech news site The Register said Bob was fired.

the last thing we need are more slack clowns in the public sector, pls dont encourage the OP.

Exactly !!

The OP is dishonourable, and literally stealing from his or her employer.

The country as a whole is trying to improve productivity. This attitude drags the country backwards big time....and I suspect it happens heaps in big companies and govt depts alike.

All those thousands of people limply staring into their screens for hour after hour doing JS. You gotta wonder.

Actually agree, that this isn't that controversial at all. I know of heaps of people who do exactly this. I would argue that its a pretty soul destroying existence though 8 hours a day 5 days a week plus commute for umpteen years to do something you hate.

Why not try throw yourself into something you actually might enjoy? There's lots of investing related roles. It may take you a few years of sacrifice to get to a high stable income, to allow you to continue to invest, but surely thats better than continually burning your bridges year on year.

It is possible to invest and enjoy work, just ask any of the MANY workaholics on here.

Last edited:
Exactly !!

The OP is dishonourable, and literally stealing from his or her employer.

The country as a whole is trying to improve productivity. This attitude drags the country backwards big time....and I suspect it happens heaps in big companies and govt depts alike.

All those thousands of people limply staring into their screens for hour after hour doing JS. You gotta wonder.

Agreed.

I wonder how people would have reacted if the post was along the lines of "Hi SS, im a slack tenant who enjoy getting away with doing just enough not to get evicted while being a complete drain on my landlord's resources. Can you recommend ways in which i can perfect being a bum?"

Back