Looking for money saving ideas

Congratulations....and I hope you decide to have more than one child.

Like others have said, kids can cost as much or as little as you want.
Don't go overboard with toys. Less can be more.

Kids love boxes to play with. As they get older they love imagination toys. Art sets, play dough (especially homemade..much better), puzzles, scrap paper, etc.

Right now we are fostering 7 kittens (they go back to SPCA tomorrow) and they very similar to kids. Empty toilet paper rolls, boxes of assorted sizes, drawers, pencils (to chase around..no they don't write :) ) box inserts, wind up toys etc.

Best advice I was given last month...

It is not how much you save, it is how much you spend that counts.

It makes a lot of sense to me, my mates who focus on savings, get to the end of the year, and are so proud they saved $20k, they celebrate with a $10k holiday. So how much did they save if you ask them? $20k.

brrr. wrong.

Best advice I was given last month...

It is not how much you save, it is how much you spend that counts.

It makes a lot of sense to me, my mates who focus on savings, get to the end of the year, and are so proud they saved $20k, they celebrate with a $10k holiday. So how much did they save if you ask them? $20k.

brrr. wrong.

I'm guilty of this sometimes :eek:

This is how we saved a bit of $$$ when we moved into our first house and had our daughter:

Monday night: Dinner at my dads.
Tuesday night: Cheap Tuesday pizza - 1 between us both.
Wednesday night: Dinner at my mums.
Thursday night: Dinner at Liz parents.
Sunday breakfast: Dads big breaky!
Sunday night: Liz parents for a roast!

:D:D:D

Weekdays Liz did cloth nappies, only the weekends we used disposable!

pinkboy...:cool: Now everyone comes to our house lol!

First of all Congrats!

I’m going to be slightly different to everyone :)

Here are my thoughts on few items.

Car seat: Please buy the safest possible. I prefer the manual ones where you tighten the harness manually. Many people find it difficult to press automatic (button) one. If you are going to have 3 kids then buy narrowest seat possible. If you are going to have more than one kid then you probably don’t need the seats which can be used from new born to 12 years old. Later on you can buy a newer slightly grown up version.

Is a safe car more important than a safe car seat? I notice many new parents suddenly buying SUVs.

Is a safe car more important than a safe car seat? I notice many new parents suddenly buying SUVs.
I would say so. It is better to avoid an accident in the first place.
We recently bought a Subaru Forester mainly for their safety (in our price range).
You don't need to bent down so much in SUV to buckle up a baby.

Buying an SUV is also for the height factor - much easier to get kids in and out from the higher seats of an SUV than a sedan.

Prams slide out of the boot in an SUV, rather than having to be lifted out of a sedan boot.

The other reason is the perceived extra safety of a bigger car...not always the case though.

Ah yes - the pram - as someone else mentioned, spend whatever you need to in buying one that is lightweight and can flip open with one hand.

The amount of times you'll be putting it in and out of the carboot makes it worthwhile.

Although - I still bought my second hand and cost $100 (from memory)

Also has to do with the width factor. With laws that now require kids in car seats up to around 7-8 you need cars wide enough for 3 seats across the back.

Also has to do with the width factor. With laws that now require kids in car seats up to around 7-8 you need cars wide enough for 3 seats across the back.
Most SUVs under 40k aren't that wide. Our 2007 Aurion is wider than many SUVs.
Shape of seat base matters. Flat seats are better than concaved seats so that you have more room to place the baby seat.

Update:

So I wasn't even going to decorate the nursery initially. We originally felt that the chid is not going to know anything and felt parents only do it more for themselves. But I'm now in full on nesting mode I think (32 wks) and have this desire, no its actually a need.

Mitch is unimpressed because I'm making him build me stuff for the baby's room. Not because he doesn't want to, but because he works most weekends and doesn't have lot of free time.

He thinks this baby is controlling me and whatever the baby has he wants some :).

Even if you don't want to full on decorate - some cream walls with some fun decals will give some visual interest for bubs.

Some colourful linen (not too engergising colours!) are fun too.

il_570xN.224443955.jpg

I lurve etsy for stuff like that. $200 for that set - beautiful.

il_570xN.416243190_ggsk.jpg

il_570xN.457127598_7mob.jpg

il_570xN.441291861_crja.jpg

Back