Looking for some advice (yet again!)

We are going through the long, annoying, and seemingly invasive process of getting our first home loan (for our first IP). I would like to get some people's opinions on which way to go ...

We were in the process of adopting a child when we got told 6 months ago that we could go no further until we have some more assets. It was suggested we buy a house. So we looked into IP's and became interested, not just for the adoption but also as a long term asset for retirement. So we are finally half way through the application for a home loan and things look promising.
Then we got a phone call a couple weeks ago from the adoption people saying that things have changed and that we can go ahead again with the adoption with or without getting a house. Adoption is our number one priority (and I don't want any advice/ comments on what people think of this please), but now we are unsure of whether or not to proceed with this home loan or reapply later next year.
In about 3-6 months time we will have to fork out between US$6,000 - $10,000 to the orphanage for the adoption, and then a couple months after that we will need approx $7,000 for flights and accomodation/ visa/ immigration etc to pick up our new child. We can either save for this (which means no IP), or get out a personal loan (or equity from the IP?) if we have an IP.
I would like to know what way people would go if it were them. Which way would be most do-able?
Thanks,
Kristy

If you already had the IP lined up and ready for purchase, AND it could be value added by a quick reno, or purchased undervalue, then I see it could be possible

Otherwise I would be with Brenda, get your new baby (how very exciting for you!) and then worry about property investing.

Sunshine

kristy77,

Don't borrow for personal stuff like adoption - its not tax deductible.
Save first - get the kid - then get an IP.
Just make sure you get an IP or a PPOR or both and not more of the dependents :)
Also remember having a dependent (when you adopt) means you qualify for less loan amount.

Sorry to be so mercenary.....and congrats on the new addition when he/she arrives.

Hope it (Motherhood) is all you dreamed it would be.

Aimy

Thankyou guys!
You all confirmed what I had been leaning towards.
Now to break the bad news to our Mortgage Broker (who has been an absolute champ!) :(

Kristy

:D I will be back before you know it (with an addition to the family)!!!:cool:

I've got a 6 year old going cheap if you want.

Reasons;
1. Income - none
2. Expenses - ever increasing
3. Maintenance - high
4. Management - high.
5. Condition - excellent; no reno required, but appearance untidy.
6. Tax Deductions - nil
7. Location - bad; in my hair all the time.
8. Land content - none, but good grip on the earth.

Will consider Vendor terms , immediate possession.

Hi Kristy

I have heard that overseas adoptions can cost up to $30-$40K by the time you have your child home in Australia.

Family comes first - you want time to get to know your little one without financial distractions.

I know you don't want comments but I can't help myself (I think it is wonderful) - Congratulations!!
Marg

Every morning I am woken up by my three year old son lifting up my eyelid at 5am saying "mummy the sun is up and I am hungry!" Get out of bed ! his twin sister yells someone woke me up :mad: Never have been a morning person and still not BUT would not have it any other way :D Family first the rest can wait a little longer. Save like crazy which will be easy as when you have a baby you don't get out much. Good Luck :D

Cool, guys.:)

The mortgage broker I've been going through has been sooooooo fantastic, and I feel as though I've let him down - although he's been really good and sent me a congrats email for the adoption. I don't know if this is inappropriate but I would love to give out his name for anyone who is interested in a hard working and honest mortgage broker/ financial advisor.
Jonathan Payne. He can be contacted at jonathan.payne "at" xinc.net.au
I don't get anything out of this, I just want to highly recommend him. I 'played' three mortgage brokers against each other to get the best deal (I did a course on negotiation a few years ago and just can't help myself!;) )- and it was his honesty, patience, hard work, and wonderful advice that outweighed the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back