Lovely Carpet

Thought you may like this photo - the carpet in my new IP...

There are floorboards underneath, so now decision to be made whether to strip + polish or new carpet, and perhaps some venetians.

2009329872_3_FS.JPG

If you are going to permit pets, it is a great carpet.

I have more issues with the curtain.

Personally, I'd leave the carpet, until it needed to be replaced.

I have always stripped and polished the floors ... For about $28 sm you can't beat the look, feel and clean result..

People love them.. If you want supply a big rug.. Low cost to help in keeping it good..

Worst case bond will replace the rug, or fix the floor..

I find polished floor rent easier.. No smell, good for asthmatic kids and less to maintain.. Good vac and a quick mop..

Love them.. In fact most people can't afford REAL timber these days.. It's so expensive. So this also raises the value of the property and the rent..

Oh and if you do it before you rent take pictures and then they can never dispute the finish PLUS I always buy a cheap pack of cork tiles and tenants can use them under furniture and beds.. That way no floor damage .. If they do it's on them..

Hi lkt333

I hope the below photos will help you with your decision making. I asked the same thing of the forum last year when I had a recarpet vs sand and polish.

Heres how it turned out.

Lounge

loungePRE.jpg

Lounge_Renovated1.jpg

Lounge_Renovated2.jpg

Hallway

HallwayPRE.jpg

Hallway.jpg

Oh and if you do it before you rent take pictures and then they can never dispute the finish PLUS I always buy a cheap pack of cork tiles and tenants can use them under furniture and beds.. That way no floor damage .. If they do it's on them..

We do this too, but be aware that if a tenant damages the floor, the tribunal will not make them pay to have the floor re-sanded. My parents had a tenant scratch a polished floor so badly that it looked terrible where the bed had been. Scratches so deep and obvious that it was hard to overlook them.

Tribunal didn't take any money from the bond for the scratches, but the photos did help in the decision by the "judge" to hand all bond (except $12) to my parents.

We have had polished floors "patched" where a door has been widened. It is better than nothing, but still can be seen as a patch job.

P.S. The curtains are lovely :)... NOT. Hope you plan on changing them too :).

Dave M - Great photos + yes.. I now see exactly what I need to do.

I'm tossing up now between DIY or tradesperson. I have the hands on deck + youtube (info source extraordinary).

One further question - Would you do the floors as a first step. OR, last after other jobs needed such as
- repainting
- electrical work (new wall panels)

I'm tossing up now between DIY or tradesperson. I have the hands on deck + youtube (info source extraordinary).

One further question - Would you do the floors as a first step. OR, last after other jobs needed such as
- repainting

If you do the floors last, you can drip paint and stuff on them. But if you do the floors last, there will probably be stain/varnish splashed on your freshly painted skirtings... :D

IMO, do it in whatever order makes sense to you!

- repainting

Get a pro, everyone I know who DIY'd it looks bad, the belt sanders you rent from kennards/bunnings are nowhere near what the pro's use.

I used a pro company for that house (3br, hallways, lounge/dining) and it was $1900 inc remove and dispose of old carpets. He was extremely neat, no splashes or runs. Other forum members have used him happily for work.

Do floors last, use it as a dropsheet, painters will charge less if they dont have to keep the floor tidy. Except for painting skirting boards - do this after flooring since the carpet profile will be different against the skirting when its removed and you will have old paint halfway along the skirting.

My reno of that place cost $5k, added $25k in value after a reval (currently being redrawn for another purchase, thanks Marty!), and increased rent by $80 a week.

Remove the carpet yourself as is a grunt job, but no skilled required, and definately get a pro on to sand ... AFTER ... you do all your building/painting work.

Def get a pro for floors. We hired a sander from Bunnings and did one room ourselves and it didn't turn out as good as it could be. But it was still better than old carpet.

Keep in mind you will have to wipe/wash all the walls down after as a very thick layer of floor dust will sit on your walls.

Good luck and I would love to see some after photos.

Hi lkt333

I hope the below photos will help you with your decision making. I asked the same thing of the forum last year when I had a recarpet vs sand and polish.

Great before and after photos Dave. I can def see how it increased the value. Did you do anything else to the place apart from the floors?

Great before and after photos Dave. I can def see how it increased the value. Did you do anything else to the place apart from the floors?

Repainted throughout, new internal doors, new light fittings, water saving devices installed to allow charging of water.

The same bank valuer did both the prepurchase and re-val, and actually valued it $10k higher than I was asking for on the re-val.

Back