Low end of market renovations - the lessons.

Hi Folks,

Late last year I made a few posts regarding two properties I was purchasing in Queensland. Both bought cheap, but needing some work.

One property in particular was in a very bad way due to the tenants from hell that had damaged most of the internal walls, the kitchen, the bathroom etc.

Both properties were purchased for around$100K and would have been worth about $120K in good condition.

I am pretty handy so I figured I could do the renovations and get some equity in these properties even at these margins. I thought around $10K each to renovate giving me at least $10K equity in each property.

Well, I was wrong.

My wife and I did most of the renovations ourselves with some trades help (but minimal). At the end on the day the cost to renovate blew out and took the final cost of ownership on each property up to the $120K range anyway.

I took two weeks off work, it wasn't enough, and had to extend to four weeks. We worked on the houses for 26 days straight, eight to ten hours a day. (Not to mention the syringes hiding everywhere, the cockroaches, the mess, the damage!!!!!) Nearly ended in divorce, talk about high stress!

We made ziltch - but we learned a hell of a lot about costing (money and time) this sort of project. At this end on the market I should have bought two houses ready to go, or I should have got these houses a lot cheaper.

The worst part was blowing all my rec leave for naught, I do not love my job, and holidays are just too valuable to throw away.

In the final analysis I have two good rentals, returning $165 and $170 per week and a good property manager, at least I didn't throw to much money away. But the reality is that these projects were not worth the work when you look at the immediate return.

Now the funny thing is, I just bought another two properties, and they need some work as well - I must be mad.

Cheers,

Shaun.

Hi Shaun,

good post... I like your honesty in the matter...

Well, like you said, you should have bought the properties cheaper, but the main thing you did gain out of it sounds like a better understanding of renovations, costing & project management...

One good thing though you have achieved doing it yourself (even if you hire tradies) is that you know the job has been done correctly, as many of the places you find on the market that have a coat of paint on them can really hide serious problems, which only become apparent later down the track (ie. cracking covered by fresh bog/paint, leaks, incorrect structural re-inforcements when interlan walls are pulled down, etc...)... so at least you have won on this one...

You have done the right thing buying another 2 IPs needing some work (assuming you bought them at the right price to justify the work/reno), it sounds like you should be able to apply the skills/knowledge gained from the first 2 reno's & create 2 more great rental IPs (assuming you keep both)...

Note: don't forget to get your depreciation schedules on completion & good luck ;)

Cheers,

MannyB.

Hi Shaun,
Refreshing to hear someone talk about how they think they got it wrong, usually people are too embarrassed to talk about perceived failures whilst being only too happy to trumpet their successes.
Having said that, I don't think you have had a failure here at all. You are getting good rental returns, and can adopt a hold policy allowing yourself to acquire equity. You are well on the way to establishing a little real estate empire of your own with two more properties on the way.
I predict in 3 years time you will consider those four weeks of 'wasted holidays' as four of the most profitable weeks you ever had.
All the best to you, and may your fortunes increase.
Regards,
Easy.

Think of it as money/time towards your education. Be a shame to waste it.

Congrads on buying two more!

Jas

People underestimate the value of time. Usually best to get professionals in to do work in min time. That way you can renovate 4 properties in 2 weeks!

Hang in there, Shaun! As Jas says, it's all a learning experience and you will be surprised at how much you picked up and how much more knowledge you've gained now. Being able to employ tradesmen, knowing exactly what needs to be done, having a realistic schedule are all positives from this.

Let us know how you go with the newly acquired properties.

Hi Shaun
I believe an important point to remember when selecting your next property is to look at its future potential.
What is the land worth?
What future improvements can be done?(add another room or story)
What unique features or benefits does the property have?
Be careful not to fall into the trap of buying a product just because it is cheap.
Y
PS the more you learn the more you know the more you do the more you grow:0)

At least you won't die wondering.

Remember that when the day comes and someone says: "I remember when I could have bought 10 houses for $50k each twenty years ago", you will proudly respond: "So do I, and I did"!

I had a similar experience in Sunshine last year.

There were also some hidden nasties so more work was involved which I decided to do myself. How hard could it be??
In the end, my lost income potential cost me more than employing someone.
These things happen. So long as we learn the lesson, no harm done.

Still, I am happy to hold as surrounding areas get less affordable.

Keep pumping.
Sam

Back