Low Morale

It's got nothing to do with skin colour, and everything to do with culture and upbringing.

I agree with that wholeheartedly. My old man preferred to employee white Kiwi chippies/brickies etc over white aussies as in his experience white Kiwis were generally (but not always) harder workers and better tradies. The Kiwis were stoked to be making goood money (compared to sh%ty NZ wages), while the aussies had never known any different having always been paid decent wages.

And I keep trying to tell my eldest she needs to learn how to communicate like everyone else or she won't get anywhere in the workplace (I have extreme trouble understanding her - she tends to use 500 words when 3 will do, skirts around questions, doubletalks, changes her answer 4 or 5 times in one conversation, uses double or triple negatives instead of a single positive, basically watch any long-term evasive politician talk about campaign promises and you've got her nailed 100%).

Unfortunately the above description is not just a generational thing, you have just perfectly described my direct supervisor who is in his late 40s! He regularly writes 1/2 page emails that could be 2 to 3 lines etc etc.

Are you kidding me or what ?

A bit of a generalisation on my part, but I can remember as a kid that very few people lived at home past 20.

I knew a coupla blokes who did, and they were seen as "under-achievers".

Nowadays, it seems that every second kid lives at home until they are 30 or so.

Now, I reckon they are smarter than us - the best deal you can get is to live at home, pay board and have yer parents doin' everything for ya!

I'm positive my two boys will be doing this. :D

A bit of a generalisation on my part, but I can remember as a kid that very few people lived at home past 20.

I knew a coupla blokes who did, and they were seen as "under-achievers".

Nowadays, it seems that every second kid lives at home until they are 30 or so.

Now, I reckon they are smarter than us - the best deal you can get is to live at home, pay board and have yer parents doin' everything for ya!

I'm positive my two boys will be doing this. :D

You're only 8-9 years old than me.

Growing up it was common and expected by a lot.

Of course the "You're out of here when you turn 18" mindset existed too. Each time I hear that I think of The Simpons episode where homer says it, but I digress.

Any 40 yr old's living at home now, are your & my generation, not Gen Y

I think Mark L's right, we lose touch and see things differently

You wuz lucky !!

I am sad to say that I have now joined the ranks of the employers. My chosen business model (passive commercial Landlord) was specifically chosen because it didn't require any employees and all of the social drama and headaches that come with it that I am not good at pandering to.

We run a business probably the same size as one that employs ~ 200 people, and up until now it's just been me....just the way I like it. I very rarely have arguments with myself.

Four months ago we were forced to employ a cleaner for the shopping centre we just purchased....6 hours a day....what a nightmare. Paid thru the roof (85K pa) and did minimal work, and everything reluctantly. She argued that she did too much and wanted a pay rise to 125K pa. One day I observed her (without her knowing I was there) sitting down at the cafe for over an hour talking with one of the Tenants who refused to pay rent. Nice combo that is. Two ladies bad mouthing you, one sitting in your shop for free and one sitting down doing nothing when she's supposed to be cleaning the mall for you.

I ever so politely, in my usual tactful manner, asked her if she couldn't consider the prospect of getting up and actually commence cleaning like she was paid to do and she said "you can't tell me what to do, I've been flat out the last 30 minutes cleaning up and down the mall." Typical Australian....slack and a liar to cover her tracks. My very first employee / employer relationship didn't end well...she was then given the sack about 5 minutes after that.

We've now hired a few Asian ladies at rates slightly higher than what Centro pay them. Cost is 39K pa for hopefully a far better standard - these ones actually will pick up a mop and know how to drive a broom, and don't think it beneath themselves to scrub toilets.

Long term plan is to sell the property and ultimately get back to a zero employee status....and then carry on and grow from there.

Australian workers - nightmare. Begone the lot of you.

Being an Australian (though some may disagree based on skin colour, even though I pay more taxes than them), I'd have to agree with you. And I somewhat blame the system I grew up in.

I get my work done - on time and employers have so far seemed to be happy with what's done - but I don't for one second enjoy it and actually often think it's below me. Poor attitude indeed. Maybe we need a recession to get our act together, but hopefully I'll be done and have moved on from being employed by then. I like the zero employee model - my parents are businesspeople and they employ probably 200-300 people - the bulk are absolute nightmare.

My friend told me the other day, when you do a job, you always try to think of what's the quickest way and mos shortcuts I could take. When you work for yourself, you don't mind spending the time making sure everything works. I guess therein lies the difference - or maybe it's just Australia.

yeah man - agree with you delta. i too feel the same way.

why don't you join your parents businesses man? or create something yourself that can grow? besides you already got the creds and have 1st hand corporate world experience

I'm an employer. Not a massive one. Have run 3 businesses over the last 30 years.

I have also been an employee for a number of my adult working years in between, so can see the two differnet mentalities - boss/employee.

One of the things I'm proud of is the length of time my employees stay with me. In all the years; only one has left. Why?

My belief is that I try to make work a nice place to be for them, and try to look after them in little ways.

I watch the "Undercover Boss" show on the teev occasionally, and one thing always seems to come up at the end when they interview the staff after their meeting with the boss; they are blown away by the recognition and feel more "special" as a result. They are happier. Some get offered a better role and are rapt to be considered more important.

Not all people want that however, so I think managers/employees need to find out their employees' motivations. I had one guy who wanted to do more, and wanted to earn more as a result. He was happy to be given more responsibility in return for more pay. So he got that. I have two guys right now who want nothing more than clock punching and no stress. They get that, and no more, but won't earn the big dollars or get ulcers. That's fine too. I leave them be with that mindset.

Most people simply need that to be happy at work; find out how they should get that and give it to them..

So, I use that as a strategy; recognition, take an interest in the staff, be flexible to their needs for family etc, and treat them as you would like to be treated - not be a tool just becuase you are in a position of power and "lord it over" them.

My wife is a nurse. In her industry, there are many nurses who leave the industry. Why? In most cases, the idiot managers are inflexible to the requirements of the (female) staff who are mostly mothers. They simply don't get the hours they need to work and balance their family lives. So, they leave. It's not the money, or the work satisfaction. It's the lack of empathy from the employers. They are just a number; a commodity.

Bayview, I ve been an employer as well, and unfortunately, my experiecnes werent as positive as you,

I found that giving your staff, lenience, bonuses or freebies or nice gestures did work sometimes but for a lot of the time backfired because they took advantage or took you for granted,

my line of business did hire many 18-25yr olds so maybe its just the nature of the beast,

I had huge turn over of staff (maybe I was a bad employer!, if thats the case im happy to accept it),

eg I had staff ask me if I could finish early at 9pm, my response would be, "we'll see, if its super busy, probably not" to which their response was "well I have to be somewhere at 9pm"

eg. boss, sorry I cant work tonight because ive been throwing up all day (its 550pm, for a 6pm shift) but can I pick up my pay tonight or tomorrow?

eg. I got offered that job that you recommended me to go for (yes I did recommend it as it was a great opportunity), so im giving you 2 days notice, they wanted me to start today but I wanted to give you the courtesy and finish out the week

eg. one guy I drove him home 4 days per week as he didn't have a car and taxi trips were killing him, and then when he quit he called me a tight a$$ to other staff

yeah man - agree with you delta. i too feel the same way.

why don't you join your parents businesses man? or create something yourself that can grow? besides you already got the creds and have 1st hand corporate world experience

Not sure... don't want to join them yet - seems like a cop out, besides what comes my way will come one day. Am thinking about quitting and doing my own thing though

These are dead true - morale is at an all time low.

How would one turn something like this around?

I was reading thru this thread again, and realised that no one had really addressed the issue of how do you turn around the culture of a company.
We have done a pretty job of turning things around in our company, so I thought I'd share some of what we did.
I work for a global company of around 4000 employees, but the aussie branch is less than 25. When I started, no-one cared whether we were successful or not (they just assumed we wouldnt be), no-one talked to anyone else, we were losing a bucketload of money.. it was a disaster. We have completely turned the aussie branch around and are gradually working our way out thru the company to change the culture.......
So, it takes time, but my suggestions are
start with a bite size chunk... you cant change everyone all at once. But find like minded people, work together with them and start to influence
Inevitably, change involves moving people on. There will be people who will lead change, those that will follow, those that will undermine, and those that will resist. The resisters need to go pretty quickly (many will go of their own accord, once you start making changes), the underminers also need to go, but this usually takes a bit longer, cause they are not so easy to see.
build accountability in the business. no-one cared about our sales numbers before this process began - they just assumed we wouldnt achieve them. The management began making a fuss towards the end of the month about whether we were close to target. We put in place performance targets/ bonuses. Pay rises became linked to performance (even for non sales staff.)
Recognise good performance, and help people to achieve their goals...
I'll have to finish later, because I'm being rushed out the door............ Mothers Day activities!!

Last edited:
Back