lowest driveway size for green title

Hi, just want to ask what are some real life examples of the smallest driveway size that was approved for a green title subdivision. was told for green title it should be 4m VS 3m for survey strata (house to be retained)

did anyone manage to get green title with about 3.5m -3.6m? would really appreciate sharing your experience if council made if difficult for you.

also, if someone might advise specifically if Gosnells council are easy to deal with and steps taken to get green title approved with less than 4m driveway.

Thanks

ive had no experience doing sub 4m green title lots but if youre talking gosnells i seriously dont see it being worth the extra effort for green title anyway.

i do know that driveways are often something that councils are pretty strict about, bayswater made me change a gutter to a much more inefficient one because it was, from memory, encroaching onto the 3m common property driveway by around 30mm

ive had no experience doing sub 4m green title lots but if youre talking gosnells i seriously dont see it being worth the extra effort for green title anyway.

just curious why you say its not worth it in Gosnells (beckenham) in particular.

also, to explain why im seeking green title, it relates to plan to have granny flats somewhere down the line. can't really find definitive answer if you can have granny flat in survey strata blocks.

just curious why you say its not worth it in Gosnells (beckenham) in particular.

also, to explain why im seeking green title, it relates to plan to have granny flats somewhere down the line. can't really find definitive answer if you can have granny flat in survey strata blocks.

You can't have granny flats on survey strata blocks. And there is a minimum size req on green title blocks for granny flats as well - not sure but think it's 450sqm??

would this vary by council? is there anywhere i can read it. definitely not stated in the wapc file.

The ancillary dwelling provisions in the Rcodes consistently refer to "single houses". "single house" is defined in the Rcode definitions as green title or survey strata without common property.

What wapc file were you referring to?

referring to this

http://planning.wa.gov.au/dop_pub_pdf/State_Planning_Policy_3_1-Residential_Design_Codes_Print.pdf

survey strata without common property, i thought all survey strata would have cp (the driveway) just a matter of if both blocks share it or wholly assigned to 1 block, is this correct? pls correct me if im wrong, still learning

incorrect.

survey strata can be two properties divided by a fence with seperate driveways. But share underground services like sewerage etc which is not comman property.

cheers

incorrect.

survey strata can be two properties divided by a fence with seperate driveways. But share underground services like sewerage etc which is not comman property.

cheers

so your saying that the common property being referred to are only for power/water sewer?

so i must subdivide it in such a way that i have 2 driveways instead of a shared driveway, then i would satisfy the no common property condition? if yes...... then technically i am assigning the access leg to the rear block ?

and having 1 shared driveway is out of question if i want to maintain flexibility down the road?

Last edited:
so your saying that the common property being referred to are only for power/water sewer?

so i must subdivide it in such a way that i have 2 driveways instead of a shared driveway, then i would satisfy the no common property condition? if yes...... then technically i am assigning the access leg to the rear block ?

and having 1 shared driveway is out of question if i want to maintain flexibility down the road?

I don't really understand what you are saying.

You can choose to subdivide with common property or not. If there is CP, then you can't do granny flats. If you don't want to do CP, then you have to make sure each lot complies with the normal Rcode requirements like having a driveway of some sort etc.

I don't really understand what you are saying.

You can choose to subdivide with common property or not. If there is CP, then you can't do granny flats. If you don't want to do CP, then you have to make sure each lot complies with the normal Rcode requirements like having a driveway of some sort etc.

ok got it. least i know what to say to vision survey when i talk to them. Thanks.

What i am saying is there is 'common property' of which belongs to both properties ie a driveway, a wall, a courtyard that both properties (or more) have equal ownership and responsibility for.

And then there is 'common services' which is the new house t-ing into the existing houses underground services or the like so that they share the pipes so to speak.

Also be aware that councils try to limit the number of crossovers so they may not allow two seperate driveways especially with verge trees or interesections etc close by.

ok got it. least i know what to say to vision survey when i talk to them. Thanks.

Yes talk to craig at visions, very knowledgable and will run the whole process over with you.

Cheers

We've done plenty of 3m access legs for clients, albeit none in City of Gosnells but experience on other matters is that they are not pleasant to deal with. That said, WAPC makes the decision in this case so not really an issue.

Why not do a 3m access leg to the rear lot but have a right of carriageway easement over it in favour of the front lot. That way you can have green title and not lose too much area providing two driveways as the access leg can be used by both lots

Slightly off topic, but Gosnells always rings a little alarm bell in my head.

Whatever you end up deciding to do, be prepared to buy a lot of drainage pits. Gosnells use the most conservative stormwater storage requirements, which ends up costing a lot of money in design and construction.

Back