LPG/Petrol/Electric/'Hybrid' Cars to save $$$....

LPG/Petrol/Electric/'Hybrid'/Diesel Cars to save $$$....

Hi there,

Firstly, I have no interest in cars at all...but, was thinking of getting a new or used car (maybe 1-3 yrs old) that was affordable, reliable and most importantly fuel economical.

Any thoughts on cars with LPG engines, or LPG+petrol engines?

Is there still a $1000 grant for purchasing a new LPG car?

Also, what about 'hybrid cars', ie. petrol+electric engines, eg. Toyota Prius, Honda Civic Hybrid?

If you're travelling large distances by car, then will these types of cars really save you much money compared to standard cars running on petrol???

Which type of car would be the best?

Thanks,

GSJ

Odd that you haven't mentioned diesel anywhere.

Hybrids are completely in their element around towns (stopping, starting, quick acceleration / decceleration conditions). On the open road they run on the petrol engine, not the electric one. Having said all that I am a fan of them (the Prius in particular).

M

We've got a diesel. 2l TD. Love the car. It'll last us for 10 years.

We get about 5 l/100kms on the freeway, about 6l/100kms around town. So about 1000kms out of a 55L tank.

I don't even look at petrol prices going up and down any more since I only fill it up every 2 - 6 weeks.

You could do a lot worse than pick up say a 1-2 year old diesel VW golf.

Yep, look at turbo diesels as well. Without looking up the figures, I think you'd find that a small modern TD engined car (eg. golf) would get just as good if not better fuel economy as a prius or similar hybrid. It'd also have long service intervals and probably (again, without looking it up) be cheaper to service (less to monitor and go wrong).

1980 Valiant Wagon for $1200

2nd hand LPG from my last car (1985 Fairlane) cost $800 to remove and fit

Val gets about 400klm to a 65 litre tank (better if I don't sink the boot in)

Cheap car, cheap miles

Dave

I still distrust European manufacturers :D but the Volkswagen Jetta diesel looks OK.

I think Honda will have a diesel soon so will wait for that, personally.

Hello GSJ,

We have a Ford Falcon Series AU3 wagon purchased 2 years ago which we had converted immediately to LPG. It has now paid for itself and now am in the black re fuel cost comparisons (LPG vs ULP). LPG gives a cleaner burn (little hotter) due to the much lighter hydrocarbons (propane and butane compared with ULP with octane and higher order paraffins). If you are travelling longer distances, the LPG runs very economically (15% higher usage rate, but 50% less cost; hence saving).

Have also seriously looked at the benfits of a Toyata Prius to replace my wife's Toyota Seca (on 220,000km now). There have been many improvements on this model lately, especially in the area of battery life - important since the replacement cost of these may be high. Have a look for the Prius on Wikipedia, especially in the Links section at the bottom of the page. I believe there is an Australian website which discusses the merits when considering purchasing one (not a Toyota site either).

Plenty to go around - no need to save it....indulge and enjoy !!!

Emulate the elderly folk, take a big trip around Oz in your big Landcruiser or Patrol. Live a bit. It's why they invented cars, and why we go out and dig the stuff up.

Plenty good la !!! :)

Worth a look. A series 1 Prius can be imported from Japan for around $14k.

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.a...=prius&submit=Search&sold=available&andor=AND

I have owned two cars this way. Slightly higher insurance. Parts might be harder, but if you get into some sort of car club it shouldn't be too bad. Excellent value vehicles. I drive a car that's $110k new. 2000 model, $25k.

That's great value on those cars - what's the catch? Do you pay extra to import them over above the prices listed? Why would parts cost more - because they're Jap cars?

We're about to move to Australia and will need a car - these are very economical options. tell me more?

There is a catch with "grey" imports: Many bolt-on components are different to those you would buy locally. Very few professional mechanics will install imported engines in your Australian marketed car.

Another thing is that knowing they will be forced out of their used car the Japanese may not even change the oil while they own them.

I have read on CNN Money that there are Prius's which have travelled a couple of million miles. That's not too shabby. :)

how does a diesel drive compared to petrol?

the cheapest 7 seater 4WD I've found that comes in diesel is the new Holden Capitva $39,990 and $42,990 for the luxury model....can probably negotiate down another $5k.

This is confusing. If I had to travel a longish distance say 100km, which would be cheaper and would someone be able to quantify it in $$$...? :

(1) Diesel
(2) LPG
(3) Petrol + Electric
(4) Petrol

Thanks.

I think diesel sounds like the cheapest alternative from the posts so far?

GSJ

This is confusing. If I had to travel a longish distance say 100km, which would be cheaper and would someone be able to quantify it in $$$...? :

(1) Diesel

deepmarine's 2l TD country 5.0L (10% better then corolla) city 6.0L (20% better than corolla)

(2) LPG

(3) Petrol + Electric

(4) Petrol

latest corolla 5.4L 7.8L

cost differential of diesel vs ULP = 10% currently...

so seems diesel would save around 10% on your country drives....

and probably more on your annual services and turnover.

Thanks.

I think diesel sounds like the cheapest alternative from the posts so far?

GSJ

Which would have to put the $2000 Val with LPG miles in front

Dave

Completely right. Spend 2K on a car, and even if it costs you 6K a year in fuel and 1-2K a year in parts and maintenance, you'll still come out on top compared to a 30K car (i.e. a turbo diesel golf) over the course of about 5-7 years.

For me though, I wanted a few more luxuries - 6 airbags, reliability, etc. At the time I was doing a lot of kms p.a. (>45K) - so a diesel + new car reliability was a good choice for me.

I think the reliability / economy / total cost of ownership sweet spot is probably a 2-3 year old corolla or honda civic (depending on your space requirements). Something around 15K, 1 prior owner, that will last you 10-15 years if you look after it, yet only use 6-9 l / 100kms depending on what driving you are doing.

Oh - and the diesel engine performance is excellent. Torque is awesome.

Back