LPG/Petrol/Electric/'Hybrid' Cars to save $$$....

Completely right. Spend 2K on a car, and even if it costs you 6K a year in fuel and 1-2K a year in parts and maintenance, you'll still come out on top compared to a 30K car (i.e. a turbo diesel golf) over the course of about 5-7 years.

Totally understand, luxuries zero, but she has got an electric window in the tailgate.:D

For a 25000klm year she'll use about $2100 in gas and in the last 4 years has cost about $1000 in new parts inc tyres total, about $100/year to service/tune and is incredibly reliable.

She's a bit of a head turner due to rarity as well

Dave

A year ago we bought a VW Polo TDI (turbo diesel injection) for $25k inc onroads and extras.

We filled the tank then drove from Sydney to Ballina, without having to refuel. Amazing :)

I travel to work each day and fill her up each fortnight :)

And whilst she's a touch sluggish in first gear, the turbo kicks in during second gear then she has HEAPS of power...

Is diesel a "dirty" fuel"? ie, does using diesel give off more pollutants?

(if not, then the diesel industry needs to do a lot of reeducation work :D )

A year ago we bought a VW Polo TDI (turbo diesel injection) for $25k inc onroads and extras.

We filled the tank then drove from Sydney to Ballina, without having to refuel. Amazing :)

I travel to work each day and fill her up each fortnight :)

And whilst she's a touch sluggish in first gear, the turbo kicks in during second gear then she has HEAPS of power...

Great feeling huh? Earlier this year I drove from Ballina to Sydney, then Wollongong, then back up to Sydney on a single tank of fuel. Had "20kms till empty" showing on the computer before I thought enough was enough and I should fill it up before I ended up walking!

(if not, then the diesel industry needs to do a lot of reeducation work :D )

Particulates - yeah I think so. Modern filters have improved things a lot though. Also since you use less I think it might be slightly better on the CO front (would need to check that though)

Diesel pumps are generally a lot greasier than Petrol as well - you sometimes need to use paper towels when filling up to avoid getting it on you.

Caltex recently spent a large amount of money modifying their refineries to manufacture "clean" diesel. They would be disappointed if were not worth it. That spend is the quoted reason for diesel being dearer than petrol.

I certainly would not drive a heap of junk around if I could afford a newer, safer car. If I were in the market today I would insist on multi air bags and traction control. It is also good to buy a car that pleases your eye and has the performance and gearbox you want, even if it costs a little extra. You will be happy to keep such a car a few years longer and the cost is then recouped. That works for me, anyway. :)

I had an old VC Valiant that I drove to work. Handled pretty poorly I must admit. My wife didn't like the kids in it but that was mostly because the rear seat was pre seatbelt laws. Even if I had them she still wouldn't have been happy and I don't blame her.

I bought it for $1600 and sold it for $1700. The new battery I put in increased the value markedly :)

my staff used to rib me about the boss having the crappiest car in the car park. Gave me a good opening to explain about good debt vs bad debt but cos most of them were young guys it never really clicked with them.

I don't think I would buy another old car like that. Just handled too uncomfortably to drive for long. My VS Commodore Wagon is about my sweet spot for price vs handling vs size vs space. I need a slightly higher car and bigger seat with my back injury. I even sometimes wonder about a 4wd just for the height which means no bending to get in but have resisted that so far. Plus I can happily put a barrow ful of dirt in the back. Can't do that with a late model VW TDI :D

My wife wants to upgrade her car soon. She has the income to warrant something nicer and more reliable. These Diesel VWs sound the ticket. I might start tracking second hand ones coming out of leases to see what they are costing. Any tips on the best place to do that? I guess they don't get auctioned much yet?

My only real fear is that she is not mechanically minded and likely to fill it with ULP. This is a bad thing as I understand it. Is there a secret to helping someone remember this without insulting them?? :eek:

Cheers,

Is there a secret to helping someone remember this without insulting them?? :eek:

Cheers,

don't they have a big sign inside the fuel door reminding people?

i'm wanting to upgrade in the next couple of years and tossing up between a hybrid, as all my driving is around town, or my dream car of a jeep wrangler soft top as all my driving is within 10 minutes around town (so not much fuel usage).

decisions decisions ....

I've got a 2004 Falcon ute with factory LPG (no petrol).

I have taken it a few times Melb-Gold Coast and it costs no more than 200 to 220 dollars for the RETURN trip ie. $100-110 each way. And it's a full sized car ideal for a long trip, not a shoebox.:D

My only real fear is that she is not mechanically minded and likely to fill it with ULP. This is a bad thing as I understand it.

Sure is. 'Tis fatal. The reverse isn't though. Hired a small Ford in Spain many years ago and filled it with "Gasolina". Started coughing and spluttering very soon after while I was looking for a park in Cuenca. Drove past the servo again and stopped and smelt the nozzel of the pump. Yep Diesel! I needed Super 96.:)

, or my dream car of a jeep wrangler soft top as all my driving is within 10 minutes around town (so not much fuel usage).

decisions decisions ....

lizzie, these may be worth a look, you could have the Wrangler look now

Asia (KIA) Rocsta

Rarely see them for sale, I suppose the owners don't want to get rid of them.

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars-for-sale/asia/rocsta/pg1/@spg6/results.html

These are based on the South Korean military vehicles and look very much like a Jeep Wrangler, yet at a Suzuki price.

I read an article on them many years ago in a 4WD magazine and they said they were unbreakable and they were the sort of thing you would dig up from a farmers paddock in 50 years time and it would still go.

Dave

This thread is giving be impure thoughts about buying a flashy new car. :D

I think the reliability / economy / total cost of ownership sweet spot is probably a 2-3 year old corolla or honda civic (depending on your space requirements). Something around 15K, 1 prior owner, that will last you 10-15 years if you look after it, yet only use 6-9 l / 100kms depending on what driving you are doing.

Oh - and the diesel engine performance is excellent. Torque is awesome.

Deepmarine,

Is the Corrolla/Civic a diesel though? I thought these just run on petrol?

Are there any 4WDs that are similarly reliable+economical? Even smallish 4WDs?

Thanks,

GSJ

This thread is giving be impure thoughts about buying a flashy new car. :D

Deepmarine,

Is the Corrolla/Civic a diesel though? I thought these just run on petrol?

Are there any 4WDs that are similarly reliable+economical? Even smallish 4WDs?

Thanks,

GSJ

They're petrol, but both are very efficient in the scheme of things. It depends on how much you want to spend:

If I had a budget of 15K and wanted low cost / low hassle motoring, I'd probably buy a 2nd hand honda civic or corolla. Despite being petrol, still pretty efficient.

If I could stretch to low-mid 20's, it would definitely be a new diesel VW Polo or perhaps a 2nd hand low kms diesel golf (not sure how many of these you find on the market - but worth checking)

If I could stretch to 100K, it'd be a V8 turbo diesel range rover sport, but that'll be something down the track perhaps.

If I had a budget of 15K and wanted low cost / low hassle motoring, I'd probably buy a 2nd hand honda civic or corolla. Despite being petrol, still pretty efficient.

If I could stretch to low-mid 20's, it would definitely be a new diesel VW Polo or perhaps a 2nd hand low kms diesel golf (not sure how many of these you find on the market - but worth checking)

Thanks, the VW diesel's look like the 'property investor's car of choice' at the moment!

Where do the hybrid (petrol and electric) cars, eg. Toyota Prius, sit by comparison to these cars?

GSJ

Thanks, the VW diesel's look like the 'property investor's car of choice' at the moment!

Where do the hybrid (petrol and electric) cars, eg. Toyota Prius, sit by comparison to these cars?

GSJ

I think the Prius is a good concept but still young technology. I also think they are very expensive for the benefits.

The TDi cars seem to be a more mature technology and only a very small premium over a standard petrol engine.

i think when you do the sums a Diesel or LPG car wins over a Prius. A more cost effective compromise. I think that a Prius is for someone to whom money is no issue. Many of us here aren't quite there yet.

Wait a few years for the hybrid concept to mature or even be superseded and it might be a different story. Much like solar cells it is only the very keen or very wealthy who are the early adopters.

Just my opinion ...

I was a fan of the Civic hybrid (I like Hondas generally) at first but have cooled on the petrol hybrid since. There are a few Prius taxis in town and I think that would work. Passenger diesels have made massive advances in recent years though. Bit odd for such a mature technology.

It may be fanciful but I see hybrid technology getting a foothold in the heavy trucks. They can carry a heavy bank of lead acid batteries (they're low tech) and if the electric drive motors were outboard of the differential, as it is on diesel/electric trains, (OK, they don't HAVE a diff. :) ) then they could engineer lighter drive trains and smaller engines and still get more torque to start the rig rolling.

i think when you do the sums a Diesel or LPG car wins over a Prius. A more cost effective compromise. I think that a Prius is for someone to whom money is no issue. Many of us here aren't quite there yet.

My next question then is whether diesal is better than LPG, if you are after an affordable, reliable car that is also economical, especially for long distances eg. 100km at a time.

Thanks,

GSJK

This is confusing. If I had to travel a longish distance say 100km, which would be cheaper and would someone be able to quantify it in $$$...? :

(1) Diesel
(2) LPG
(3) Petrol + Electric
(4) Petrol

Thanks.

I think diesel sounds like the cheapest alternative from the posts so far?

GSJ

Are you aware of the limited battery life of the Hybrid?
What happens after 7 years. That about the expected battery life.
What is the replacement cost.

It will be several thousands of dollars.
Battery technology is at the forefront so there will also be massive changes in the next 5years I believe .

1980 Valiant Wagon for $1200

2nd hand LPG from my last car (1985 Fairlane) cost $800 to remove and fit

Val gets about 400klm to a 65 litre tank (better if I don't sink the boot in)

Cheap car, cheap miles

I'm with you :)

My current fleet of vehicles all of which are super-reliable and get driven at least once a week is:

1964 EH Holden (149cu)
1964 EH Holden (186cu),
1968 2 Tonne Bedford Truck (214cu)
1969 3 Tonne Bedford Truck (214cu)
1973 HQ LS Monaro (350cu)

And I'm about to finish off the restoration and repowering of a 1968 4 Tonne Bedford Truck (383cu)

I dont miss the apparent luxury of modern vehicles.. the EH's are very comfy, the trucks give you a grand view of the road ahead and the Munro goes like a bat out of hell :) My fleet is going up in value, especially the EH's and the Monaro.. and, aside from the Monaro, they all have reasonably fuel economy, even the trucks! I'm making money and having huge fun with the cars in the meantime.. :)

A well maintained older vehicle is seriously worth considering.

Back