Mackay's future?

Seems that prices and rents have been hit pretty hard in Mackay with the unwinding of the mining boom.

What I'm trying to understand is -

Is Mackay a Mining Town? Are the fate of house prices tied to that of the mining boom?

In a scenario where mining busts - and stays busted - do you think prices will collapse? (anecdotally I've heard the average home price has already fallen by something like 30% from peak)

Mackay isnt a mining town in that it has a mine where all the locals work, it is "close to" a number of mines in central qld. It also has a large port and a local economy outside minig, so it isnt a one trick town. But it does rely heavily on the mining industry.

A lot of maintenance,mining companies and suppliers are based in and around mackay. Plus a lot of fly in fly out guys and gals come through the airport. When we last travelled through and stopped in at a motel on a saturday the lady running it said rooms are booked out mon - fri and $30 more a night than over weekends. so tourism isnt huge

It will cop some hurt from the mining boom ending but will be able to keep its head above water. Rocky also copped it and gladstone is getting its share too. they are 3 towns in CQ that support mining industry but do not soley rely on them.
Rocky has cows and gladstone has process plants to keep them going.

You ever been to Mackay seismic? There is nothing touristy here. :confused:

This is my take on Mackay having lived here for 31years.

The mines have not gone bust. The 2x ports here are pumping coal into ships at full capacity, meaning they are getting A LOT of coal. BMA (BHP/Mitsubishi Alliance) are still pulling a lot of coal out of the ground. Then you have Peabody, Glencore, Anglo and Rio all still operating reasonably efficiently.

The construction has basically stopped, and the production/maintenance part of the cycle is now here. Whilst the jobs that once were here are now gone, there is still plenty of mantenance to do, and those not caught up in the 'it will only keep going up' will keep operating.

Personally, my business is really, really busy. Im running night shifts and weekends to keep up. I can count on one hand the amount of days in 2015 so far I havent had blokes working, or had not go into work myself. To put things into perspective, we are currently working on 2 drill rigs fully overhauled (deadlines for completion are 31/3 and 30/6), and this contractor already has exploratory work lined up for them. To me that doesnt spell gloom - it smells there is still opportunity there.

As for property, there is no denying that there is a lot of vacant houses, and lots of land on the market. Everything happened just 5years behind in both movements of the boom (the run up to the GFC), and the 2011-2013 period. July 2013.....splat! The council here needs to lock up the land to drive filling the gaps. Problem is the council here is so broke, that they want to take anything that is rateable to increase income!

My view in years to come it will head back to the midway between boom/bust....where everything just floats along, nothing more, nothing less for a full cycle (15-20years).

I cant see a collapse in prices from here. Things are at a more 'valueable' price. High end hit the hardest, but there are small opportunities to pick up something if you can keep someone on here.

pinkboy

Mackay has some touristy things, come on, it's not like it's the Black Stump or anything!!

Nice marina, one of the only 2 blue rivers on the east coast, great lagoon, day trips to the islands (ok, only Keswick - but there is always talk of Brampton re-opening), Eungella and the Pioneer Valley at our doorstep, good fishing, relaxed lifestyle and not to mention a Guinness World Record holder... :)

Mackay will bounce back, maybe not to the extent of how things were in the mining boom, but plenty of great farmland surrounds the town and with the agricultural demand for food increasing steadily over the next few years, this and a constant supply of water adds another string to Mackay's bow. It's relied on sugar in the past, but farmers are starting to diversify to other crops and cattle production technology is always being refined to get the most out of available land.

Back