'Macro Prudential' controls on bank lending

So with APRA looking to bring in lending controls what are everyone's thoughts?

Are they going to be lower LVRs, less Weight given to rental income - anyone know exactly?

So would you be best to dive in now and load up - get the loans whilst you can get them

Or - will this cause a long period of pain for house growth?

Depends what they are strongy1986.

By the looks of it, we can rule out LVR ratios or any highly restrictive tightening. Byre's comments at the Senate all but ruled that out. RBA don't appear to like it either.

APRA are likely to turn the dial up a notch or two before going to those extremes. NZ went there because it made much more sense to do so, Australia doesnt really have a problem with high LVR lending.

Its more the 'amortisation' of investment loans - theyre not being repaid down that'll be worrying the regulators. People may be relying on debt deflation. That causes worry for regulators - who don't like speculative investment behaviour.

Using some numbers, investors make up 50% of all new home loans. Contrast this to Australia having a 70/30 PPOR/Rental split thats been fairly still for nearly 3decades. There's an imbalance there...(this will have short run effects on rental prices which are feeding through the Sydney and Melbourne now).

Interest only loans are now 40%+ of all new lending. Most of this is in Sydney and Melbourne. Balancing this, credit growth for investors is barely above 10% - nothing really alarming.

I think it would be very un-Australian policymaking to target segments based on regions.

Personally, i rekon they'll just make banks hold more capital for interest only loans. If they do, they're effectively incentivising banks to promote P&I repayments, or face increased rates for IO loans. Reading into NAB's recent P&I policy ($1000 rebates) is probably APRA incentivised.

Someone may know better than me on this - but they did something similar durign the 2002-2004 boom (when investor credit growth was 30%).

What effect would that have? It may reduce serviceability around the margins and tighten lending condtions - but i doubt it'd be a long term structural drag on the housing market.

So far, i think whats happened is all part of the cycle. Its not out of hand yet - but APRA have their finger on the pulse watching whats happening in the lending market and have a few tools ready to go.

Red

Nice thread strongy1986!

I don't think theres any need to panic. My view is theat things are still along way from a sector wide response like lower LVR's etc. I think APRA would be looking to do something as targeted as possible - maybe limited to IO loans like Redom suggested - or even just deal with financial institutions on an individual basis to work on banks whose balance sheets are more at risk. I think only once those options are exhausted would a broader, more restrective reforms be on the table.

Back