Main complaint LL's have with their PM's

Also be willing to carry ouy business by email- and respond to those emails.

There are still a few of us landlords in the ratrace, who appreciate not having to talk about IPs during the work that other people pay us for :D

What an excellent post. Good job Jarrod and thanks to those who have participated. I have taken a few notes myself to follow up on.

Jarrod - How long have you been in business and how many managements do you have. What is your av. rental amount.

I suspect you would have a lot of units under management from what I know of your area. Cooparoo would be similar area to ours. Lots of old homes and units.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Well I have a huge list of compaints about one of my PMs, below is a copy of the actual letter I sent to the OWNER (who owns 3 of the outlets, being under a franchise umbrella), note: I have replaced street names & names with XYZs, etc... Mind you, although I sent it to him, there was no contact with AT ALL (even a thank you call or to discuss ways of improving things)... I did bump into him a few months later & asked him if he received my e-mail (which I knew he did as I had e-mailed it certified) & he said he did, I let him know that I was unhappy & really that was it, nothing ever happened (too focussed on sales only)... I will eventually move all IPs away from this PM...

----- copy of actual letter with complaints ------

Hi XYZ,

let me introduce myself, my name is Joe Bloggs & your property management team are currently managing 3 properties for us (1 of which is vacant at the present moment)... I received a generic letter from your office (signed by you) re: the over-supply of the rental market in our area, which is fair enough, but I thought I should alert you of some of my concerns I have with the processes followed by your property management division (I don't want you to take it personal &/or be defensive about it, just hope you use it as constructive feedback)... my concerns go back as far as 3 years & are still present today (even after multiple phone calls &/or e-mails which rarely get returned to me), list goes as follows:

* Not returning calls &/or e-mails (especially e-mails when asking for feedback)
* Tenant (from the vacant property - 208 XYZ Pde, XYZ) had made 3 service calls over 3 months (Feb-April) for a fault & no action had been taken. Tenant managed to get my mobile number from your XYZ office & called me directly to report the fault (which I didn't really appreciate my mobile number been given out)
* When I had purchased this property in XYZ (Dec 2001), I had filled out all relevant forms/paperwork, etc.. at the date of purchase (3 months prior to settlement) so the property can be advertised prior to settlement & hopefully get a tenant in right away (I had one of your property managers on-site to inspect the property, probably in early Jan 2001, as the vendor that sold us the house was very accommodating)... funny thing though that after repeated phone calls, the property wasn't even advertised till after settlement, subsequently being vacant for 3-4 weeks due to this...
* More on this 208 XYZ Pde property, during this current vacancy, although your property managers managed this property for the last year, when I called the office to find out why it wasn't advertised & why it is advertised on http://www.realestate.com.au as a 3br house & "Details not yet available", they asked me to describe the property (isn't this silly, when your staff have been managing it for the last year, shouldn't they know what the property is, number of bedrooms, etc?) as they didn't have details on it??? Well if they don't know what the property looks like, number of bedrooms (as it was a 2 bedroom home & not a 3), how can they find me a tenant?
* Going back to your letter & your listings on the internet, although I e-mailed & called saying that the add still doesn't describe the property, only has it as a 3br & "Details not yet available" in terms of a description... Now a month later, no updates have been made, so the letter you sent me saying that you will give our vacant properties greater exposure through the internet is incorrect, as there is no description & the bedrooms is incorrect...
* Going back to the last year or so with other properties, no 6 month inspections occur unless I call to ask whether they had been completed... your staff should take a proactive role in this & not have us ringing asking for it to be done... also at end of leases, speaking to the tenant to see if they want to renew doesn't hurt...
* Speaking of tenants, the tenants from 208 XYZ were begging me to move to another agent as they weren't happy with your office/service (probably stemming from my second point of finding it difficult to get things done, not getting back to them, no inspections & not treating them well)
* Last vacancy at 14 ZYX Ave, again same thing, didn't know what
the property consisted of & even had a photo in one of the photo adds of the property next door??? Also was just marketed as a 3br home, which was not good enough (as there was no mention of a garage, HUGE rumpus, gas mains BBQ, carport, renovated bath, workshop, central heating, etc...), simply poor marketing...
* Frequently had to escalate things with XYZ in the past in order for things to be done, which we don't like doing & being a pain... I assume some of the office procedures would need to be addressed...
* The list can go on, but won't boor you with it all, but overall
picture shows some forms of incompetence & items that need to be addressed...

Note: I have been receiving similar feedback from a relative of mine which you guys are managing a number of villa units for them...

I hope the above can be used constructively & if anything may help improve the overall service you provide to both your tenants & landlords (not only focussing just on sales), I'll leave this in your capable hands...

Note: if you would like to give me a call for additional information,
feel free to do so, I can be reached on 9999 9999 (business hours) or 9999 999 999 anytime...

Cheers,

MannyB.

Other things that annoy me include:

* as per the letter, lack of communication, inspections, returning messages, etc...
* Not paying landlord insurance on time (always forget to pay at least one IP per annum & we have to call the insurer to verify cover)
* Not making sure water bills get converted to new tenant & us getting water bill & having to chase the cash
* Not contacting tenants if behind in rent, we have to call & tell them (must have an ancient back-end system)
* PMs being inexperienced & change over too often
* automatically upping the rent when vacancy occurs without consultation
* don't use e-mail often enough
* charge for new things that weren't agreed upon (ie. new fees just introduced such as tribunal fees, etc...)
* never send us a copy of a new lease
* being reactive, not following up if tenant will renew lease & if given notice that tenant is leaving, they don't look for more tenants as they have too many other properties to let out (other yelling landlords)
* short-staffed, too many IPs per PM
* Feedback/Advice, ie. if a vacancy is taking too long to fill, you don't hear from them with tips on what to do, ie. offer a week's free rent? drop rent? Install Aircon? feedback from ppl walking through?, etc...

Cheers,

MannyB.

COMMUNICATION
I get really p.....f when the PM doesn't communicate with me, mobile phone, house phone, snail mail, email, there is so much choice and I get nothing.

We selected a franchise PM, central location and they deal with the whole city. This was good until they on sold and a new office is down our way, the new PM doesn't do anything. No inspection reports, she can't organise maintenance, don't hear when rent isn't paid 4 weeks got it all the next month.

Needless to say we are shopping around for a new PM in the southern adelaide suburbs, around christies beach area.

Quoll

Soooooooo many terrible stories, no wonder RE agents have a bad name. How do they ever stay in business, one never knows.

From what I have been reading I think a Landlords key is to find an office that the Principal has a good knowledge of his property management portfolio or the senior PM has been a stable member of the office for a number of years.

It was great to hear from you all, you have given me a lot of insight of how 'not to run a PM business'. A lot of hard work, honesty and comittment to your landlord will certainly stand you above the crowd.

I hope I'm heading in the right direction.

cheers

Jarrod
Jarrod Lane Real Estate

Not a negative- here's something very positive my PM has just done for me...

Collects 4 weeks rent, gets the money, signs the receipt and...

then...

tells him he is evicted

(chances of getting three months back rent appear negligible)

Back