maintenance issues

Hi,
Just wanting some feedback.
I'm a landlord, just recently rented out a brand new property. The tenant was desperate to move in earlier than the property was ready (just finishing touches- it last minute landscaping, etc), so we went out of our way to allow him to move his stuff into the garage to help him out.
Being a new property, the heating unit was brand new but stopped working after 1 week. The tenant notified the managing agent, and the plumber was sent to fix it. He was unable to, so arranged the company with the warranty to fix it- who were going to arrange a time directly with the tenant the next day. 2 weeks later, we get an email saying the heater is still not fixed, the company never contacted him, now he wants to move out without paying reletting fees (approx. $1000). The tenant hasn't notified us over the past 2 weeks that the heater wasnt working still.
What would others do in this situation?
I feel we have done everything we could to fix this heater- except we assumed the heater had been fixed since we heard no further communication!?
Thanks in advance!

How are you suppose to know these things to follow up if the tenant fails to notify you? You dont live there with them?
To me, you have done all you can do in this matter and if nothing was done how would they expect you to know, unless you have some kind of physic skill? I would be charging them re-letting costs if they wish to break their tenancy agreement!

Hi,
The tenant hasn't notified us over the past 2 weeks that the heater wasnt working still.

I'm assuming you're privately managing?

If not, why didn't your PM send out the installers first?

Anyway, technically the tenant should've notified you/the agent in writing, tradie contacted and tenant is advised who is coming and contact numbers if possible. Urgent repairs need to be chased up every 24 hours, non-urgent every 3-7 days.

Heating should be repaired within 24 hours, although that's not always possible and most tenants understand this. I would offer your tenants a compromise for compensation for being without heating, but if they wish to leave they can pay the expenses normally incurred. I think $10/day is reasonable, up to $100 for the week.

I doubt VCAT would grant the tenant a break lease without costs for no heating for two weeks (though you never know).

Just be aware, if the tenant contacts the tenants union you may be out of luck in receiving break lease costs (only compensation) as they've been known from time to time to suggest tenants stop paying rent when they want to break lease, that way you must serve a NTV for rent arrears and therefore can't charge break lease fees as you've "asked" them to leave and they've complied with the notice.

One would not usually know it would be an issue which could potentially be claimed through the 'warranty' of the appliance without it being inspected from an outsider first would it not? This maybe why the PM has sent out there point of contact first to receive feedback of the problem which then in-turn can be reported to the manufacturer to be rectified under the warranty considering it is really not that old!
And one would think in an urgent case the tenant would actually complain within the 24hours if not being rectified nor contacted when they have already been told someone will contact them!

I'm assuming you're privately managing?

If not, why didn't your PM send out the installers first?

Tenant probably could have notified you earlier but at the same time I'm surprised that no one managing the property took an interest in ensuring that a major appliance like the heater was fixed. Given the place is new I would be chasing the builder/installer to get it fixed ASAP for my own peace of mind.

Cant really blame the tenant for wanting to move out if this wasn't fixed promptly - it's been pretty cold in Melbourne lately.

Being a brand new home we would normally go straight back to the builder or installer as it would be under warranty.
We had a similar issue recently, we got the run around from the builder & installer. Installer claiming it was a manufacturers issues as the unit apparently worked when the installed signed off for it to be commissioned.
There was no power to the control panel so the unit could not even be turned on to find a problem. I suspected the install was not finished.
Thankfully Brivus the manufacturer were help full and sent someone to take a look.
Yep tuned out was not installed property looks like they started the job but never finished so brivus have taken the issue back up with the installer (installer signed off on the certificate so should have been tested & working fine) unfortunately this does happen.
Luckily this tenant was very understanding and was all sorted within 7 days but took lots of phone calls & constant following up.

Cant really blame the tenant for wanting to move out if this wasn't fixed promptly - it's been pretty cold in Melbourne lately.

I agree if the LL/agent was taking their time.

In this case the tenant didn't follow things up - if I was the tenant I'd be onto the agent/LL every other day till something happened and issue a notice to remedy breach in around a week. The tenant needs to take some responsibility.

Having said that, it's probably a good lesson for the LL (particularly as it sounds like they are self managing). Don't assume things have been done! The OP should have followed things up with the tenant by calling them the day after the co was supposed to have contacted and ensure things were running smoothly.

Thanks all for the feedback.
Just to clarify, I do use a PM. I don't believe in self managing!
The builder was the first notified of the issue from the PM, he then referred it to his plumber, who couldn't fix it, then it went to the installer, who couldn't fix it. It was then meant to be referred to the manufacturer, which was never done by the installer! Who was apparently going to directly contact the tenant the same day.
I feel if the tenant had of contacted either the PM or builder to say no one is following it up, either the PM or builder could have chased things up ASAP?
I have had urgent maintenance issues on other properties, and the tenants have notified the PM if things haven't been resolved quickly!
If I were a tenant without my brand new heater working, I would be emailing the PM every day to let them know its not working (I love a paper trail!).
Thanks everyone for your insight. Fingers crossed it gets sorted today!
Note to self, even with a PM, check up on everything!

One would not usually know it would be an issue which could potentially be claimed through the 'warranty' of the appliance without it being inspected from an outsider first would it not?

For a brand new property, yes I think one would. Plus if you get an outsider, you may void the warranty, or pay two bills.

The builder was the first notified of the issue from the PM, he then referred it to his plumber, who couldn't fix it, then it went to the installer, who couldn't fix it. It was then meant to be referred to the manufacturer, which was never done by the installer! Who was apparently going to directly contact the tenant the same day.
I feel if the tenant had of contacted either the PM or builder to say no one is following it up, either the PM or builder could have chased things up ASAP?

Note to self, even with a PM, check up on everything!

Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like PM did it correctly, but didn't follow it up with everyone else.

Your tenant should take some responsibility, but I feel as a PM it is my responsibility to chase things up and keep tenants/landlords informed of what's going on. I have tenants calling if something urgent hasn't been fixed in the hour!

Unfortunately, with some PM's you will have to check up on them constantly!!

I would have expected the tenant to make contact within at least a week of the heater not being fixed, however I'm leaning toward the PM not following up. They are the property managers after all - that's what you pay them for.

Always be careful when wanting to help a tenant out who wants to move in quickly.

They may have an agenda you dont know about.

Always rent it when its ready etc and if they are desperate to move in you dont know the reason.

A PM wont always do the right checks

Always be careful when wanting to help a tenant out who wants to move in quickly.

They may have an agenda you dont know about.

Always rent it when its ready etc and if they are desperate to move in you dont know the reason.

A PM wont always do the right checks

That is good advice and borne out by our experiences as well.

The tenant correctly reported a fault. It was up to the PM to ensure repairs were carried out.

I trust the repairs have now been done.
Marg

Thanks again for the feedback. Repairs all sorted now.
We have used this PM for years for many properties and this would be the first questionable tenant she has put in one of our properties? Sometimes, I suppose there is a chance tenants fall through the cracks!?:eek:

Back