Majorly ANNOYED

another one bites the dust. It's full of asbestos. Needs restumping, floors majorly uneven, most ceilings need replacing, as the originals broke they just plastered in a new ceiling, so all heights are different levels in different rooms. You'd need to spend $250K on it at least, and add $250K to a house you buy with stamps and legals for $660K, it wouldn't be worth $910. It's East Vic Park, not Subiaco.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-east victoria park-116010387

Back to the drawing board.

Pity. It looks like a great house. How about the Basso 5x1? Too expensive?

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-bassendean-116081923

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-bassendean-116070115

on the internet Saturday lunchtime, I call before 9am Monday, already an offer that has been accepted.

Surely that RE agent isn't doing the best by the vendor ... how do they know there isn't someone like me prepared to pay more than asking price.

Grrrrrr.

I just had an interesting chat with an agent. I was enquiring as to how much a unit went for as I was curious. She said it hadnt yet gone unconditional and so couldn't tell me and then she told me that another one is in the complex for sale and told me the price. I said I couldn't see it online and she told me they hadnt yet put it online as its only just listed. So yep I agree with others that its a good idea to network with agents in the areas, give them your name and number, get to know them and so you might be able to find properties for sale before the public does. Talk to them regularly.

As we got to talking she accidentally blabbed approximately how much the property that is still unconditional sold for lol.

I dont think its a good time to buy in Perth ! Se was saying its becoming a real sellers market. Shortage of stock, so many buyers, demand is pushing values up. Hopefully my Dianella unit will go up soon in value, it might just be lagging behind. The other two units went for $235 k, and $230 k so 15 k less than what I was hoping for.

I have the same feedback rom all agents, things are going gangbusters in Perth. Might stick my PPoR on the market with a stupid price on it.

Perthguy, that Bassendean one is open for inspection Sunday so I'll go along. She's not sure if there's enough room to retain and build. Hate these price ranges of $670-$730K - that's $60K difference, and $60K is a lot of money.

What can you do on a R20/R40 block in Bassendean? Just a duplex?

Depends on the size. Also, what would you need to get the higher coding? (ie. R40 as opposed to R20). There will be additional rules to get the R40.

Off the top of my head you need min frontage of 18metres (could be 20 but pretty sure 18) . That could be a proposed rezoning r40 site also, so do your research.

will definitely do my research, make a few calls to Cof Baysie and take along a measuring tape on Sunday

If it is a good site it will be Under Offer before home open.
You need to learn:
- what each of the zoning codes means backwards and forwards. Stop looking until you know this as it will reduce your list of properties to investigate
- what the dual codings mean for that council (often in their TPS on their website)
- how to use Intramaps (if the council has it) as you can measure side access from house to ensure that there is 3-4m, how much room is in the back garden and if it's feasible. Not feasable = no need to go any further.

Think of it as a decision tree
a. property for sale - yes/no
b. property has appropriate zoning/size of block - yes/no
c. council 'extra over' town planning requirements met - yes/no
d. property dimensions/house position suitable for retain and build - yes/no

All of these things can be done from the comfort of your armchair, generally without even talking to another human being. Don't bother asking a REA if it's suitable for retain and build as I would never base my decision on their due diligence (who knows if they know what they are talking about?!?!?), it is your job to ensure that it meets the criteria.

No passing go, no collecting $200 until each answer is yes. If all yes then you can put in offer :) It can take as little as 5-20 mins to do all that.

Drager, I am at work, work from home for around a half hour each day, - that's my paid job; rest of the time it's kids, and on day care days I get to sit on RE.com and here.

Off to look up Rcodes ... again

I have the same feedback rom all agents, things are going gangbusters in Perth. Might stick my PPoR on the market with a stupid price on it.

Perthguy, that Bassendean one is open for inspection Sunday so I'll go along. She's not sure if there's enough room to retain and build. Hate these price ranges of $670-$730K - that's $60K difference, and $60K is a lot of money.

What can you do on a R20/R40 block in Bassendean? Just a duplex?
You need to do a lot of research before you start to get annoyed about missing out on these 'opportunities.' Because, it may not have been an opportunity and you don't want to get upset if it wasnt!

Bassendean council has several 'rules' (rather a list of rules) to satisfy the R40 bit in an R20/40 situation. Perhaps ring the council and ask the planner there. I can't remember the rules for the life of me.
Off the top of my head you need min frontage of 18metres (could be 20 but pretty sure 18) . That could be a proposed rezoning r40 site also, so do your research.
INVSTOR, they have been talking about it for ages, but nothing is happening!
If it is a good site it will be Under Offer before home open.
You need to learn:
- what each of the zoning codes means backwards and forwards. Stop looking until you know this as it will reduce your list of properties to investigate
- what the dual codings mean for that council (often in their TPS on their website)
- how to use Intramaps (if the council has it) as you can measure side access from house to ensure that there is 3-4m, how much room is in the back garden and if it's feasible. Not feasable = no need to go any further.

Think of it as a decision tree
a. property for sale - yes/no
b. property has appropriate zoning/size of block - yes/no
c. council 'extra over' town planning requirements met - yes/no
d. property dimensions/house position suitable for retain and build - yes/no

All of these things can be done from the comfort of your armchair, generally without even talking to another human being. Don't bother asking a REA if it's suitable for retain and build as I would never base my decision on their due diligence (who knows if they know what they are talking about?!?!?), it is your job to ensure that it meets the criteria.

No passing go, no collecting $200 until each answer is yes. If all yes then you can put in offer :) It can take as little as 5-20 mins to do all that.

Yep, listen to Westminster!

Yup I remember looking at the Rcodes, then at some potential properties, then back at the Rcodes again - rinse repeat for the first 6 months of my investment learning.

I hated it at the time, but obviously really worthwhile time spent in hindsight.

Drager, I am at work, work from home for around a half hour each day, - that's my paid job; rest of the time it's kids, and on day care days I get to sit on RE.com and here.

I do apologise for possibly sounding quite abrupt when I wrote that - today was one of THOSE days where I needed a stiff drink at 9am.
But it's true. Get the basics sorted then onto the next part.

Once you work out IF you can do it, then you work out do you WANT to do it - ie is it feasable.

1. how much does it cost for said house
2. how much does it cost to build, subdivide and sell (inc tax on profit)
3. How much is it worth.
4. Is 1 + 2 = 20% or less than 3? Yes then go for it.

Last edited:
A dev site is only a potential bonus for me. When I look at the prices for properties throughout perth, $700K is small change, whether the site can be developed or not. I am so unrealistic about what I will have to pay if I buy in Perth, the properties for $700K I think should be $500K; those 4 bed boxes in thorn lie at $500K I think should be $300K. But they're not, and that's my frustration. Perth is frustrating me, and I don't feel good parting with any money anywhere in Perth, and I keep coming back to the same guy feeling and the same calculations on paper - it doesn't pan out, the numbers don't add up.

I looked at a 1920's shambles of a house this afternoon in East Vic Park for $639+ - strata block on 410sqm, so much work, full of asbestos, and I thought, this is worth $450K to me ... but people are buying this stuff ...

I just do't feel good about Perth one little bit.

Back