make over of very old fibro house-suggestions---

Hi All,
I bought a house recently(Not yet settled). It is very old house and the seller had done all the renovation inside and looks very good. But the external is a Fibro which requires a bit of work. After discussion with RE agent and other tradies, I am told the following two options.
1. Remove the fibro and build with Bricks. As the house is very old, the fibro may contain Asbestos. So the cost of removing is very high and Brick work is an additional cost. I am told the total cost may run around 50K.
2. Do a cement Rendering on the existing fibro. I am told this will be cheaper but not sure how much.
The house is at Lidcombe NSW.

I need some suggestion or advice from you all experts.

Regards
Velli

Why do you want to improve it?

Are you looking to increase capital growth or the rent?

A smart high gloss paint job will probaby be the most cost effective.

Do you think that a more expensive option will increase it's net worth or rental income?

Food for thought.

I had given a real good , answer, but not enough coffee yet!, the footings will not support the bricks as the old footings were only 200mm thick, changing clad style 1 for clad style 2, not worth it!
there are new paintable/renders avail, there are also ext, plaster/tape systems avail also.
Remove the strips that join the sheets, plaster and tape, then use the new, render/paint product.
as simon say's hah!, it will not increase, the rent, but it will make it more rentable.

i'll ditto the render ... or nail on the weatherboards if it is more in keeping with the style/period of houses in the area. if you don't have to remove the fibro then don't do so and as craigb said, you'd need new footing for the bricks as well.

but only if it will get you a higher rent, or higher valuation.

Thanks Simon and other

Thanks for the details and I am really sorry for the late update. As i was very busy at office today with many system outages i couldn't check your suggestions.
The reason is just improve the capital gains and I am planning to move over there as my PPOR and convert my current unit into an investment.

Craig
We can go for a coffee if you work or live aorund North Sydney or near Homebush at sydney.

Regards
Velli

Also depends on the street and existing homes.

Render effect paint suggestions sounds the best option to modernise the facade.

My concern is the extent to which the result might look like a fibro that has had a, b or c done to it.

The practice of rendering older brick homes is popular around here and it can look great on the right home but some just don't look right.

An alternative approach would be to accentuate the character the fibro home has and work with that? Make the most of its fibro-ness.

I have a fibro home (IP) and have thought of capping or replacing the joins with timber strips, a nice sunny paint job and some timber window awnings.

I think at the beach that would look great but maybe not in a more suburban setting.

Also give some thought to the ongoing maintenance moving forward and (if it is going to be a long term PPOR) what you want personally.

1. Remove the fibro and build with Bricks.
No, bad idea.

As the house is very old, the fibro may contain Asbestos.
No, it WILL contain asbestos.

So the cost of removing is very high
Yep, so don't do it. It is perfectly safe if you don't sand it, drill it etc.
Paint it with a modern colour and leave it alone....until it is financially the right time to knock down rebuild.

2. Do a cement Rendering on the existing fibro. I am told this will be cheaper but not sure how much.
Get some quotes - could be a possibility.

But forget the bricks. All new outside & old but reno'd inside - bad mix IMHO.

All the best with it Velli

Thanks for the suggestions

All,
Thanks for the suggestions. As many of you suggested, i decided to give good paint and leave it till i am comfortable to knock down and rebuild

Thanks for everyone to share their ideas.

Regards
Velli

Make an effort to seal and block as many gaps as possible! Two to three coats of a neutral colour will cover all the blemishes. White seems best and looks clean.

Once painted add a few, good sized shrubs and you will forget that it is fibro!

In my opinion, forget the bricking option as too expensive, forget the rendering option as I am yet to see a decent rendered fibro, foret the paint job as it will look like a freshly painted fibro, so the only option I would suggest is to clad or wetherboard. In Sydney, it costs us around $50 sqm supplied and fitted and creates a huge differance especially if you spraypaint the roof as well and paint the windows. We had the same dilema on our hands a few years ago trying to find the best option to help manafacture equity so we spoke to several valuers and the answer was to definatley do something to change the fibro look. Cladding was the best option for us.

Hi Dash11,
Thank you very much for the advice. I am in Sydney. do you have some reliable contacts who can do the cladding at an affordable price?

Regards
Velli

Back