Making an offer

Hi all

I inspected a property today that I have been considering for a while as an investment property. I am keen to make an offer and would appreciate some advise/comments.

The property
Is zoned town centre commercial. It is on a corner block of 1050 square metres. It has 2 lots on the one title. The current house is at what is basically the front of the block so is ideally situated for another house to be put at the back of it with access off what is currently the side street. Town centre commercial in our area means that if it has a house on it the house can stay but it can not be replaced. It can be substantially altered but some part of the original must remain.

Any ideas on what 2 lots on one title means. (I am going to the council tomorrow for a discussion). Does this constitute the block being subdivided or is that still another process? There is only one power feed to the original house although there is power to a shed at the back of the block.

The property is owned by a good friend of mine and is alongside a property owned by my business partner so we are well aware of the house and its history etc.

The house
The house is an older house which is structurally sound from our inspection. It is however very small and disjointed. Other than a coat of paint inside it is pretty much original. Another bedroom was added to it about 10 years ago. The roof iron was also replaced about this time. It is currently rented and the real estate agent is of the view that it is still adequate for a rental as is. My view is it needs serious internal work to open it up, the kitchen is less than 3mt by 3mt and has to fit in the kitchen table as well. By my standards (I live in a 110 year old farm house which I have spent a small fortune on renovating) the wet areas are barely liveable, the laundry and shower have a plain concrete flour. Internal walls are masonite. Floor is carpeted but is floor boards underneath. From stamping all over them they appear sound.

The purchase
The intention of this property is to purchase it with my current business partner (we have been in business 10 years and worked together for 11 years prior to that, our wifes are also cousins). I am aware of some of the views on this and the potential pitfalls etc. Our reasoning is sound from the point of view that our intention for the property is to purchase a removal house and put it at the back of the block and when this is in a condition to rent to then do renovations on the original house.

My business partner is a very good handyman, probably better than me and I am no slouch. We both have had a lot of experience at renovating our own properties. Between us we also have just about every bit of equipment we would need to do all the renovation work on the entire property. As we own our own business we are fortunate that if need be we can take time off to do renovation work during the week as well as work weekends. The only potential down fall is going to be financing but we will have to see where that goes. My business partner also has access to a qualified builder for assistance / advice. This builder works for the top builder in town and is probably pushing for that title in his own right.

Offer
The vendor wants $302,000. A house further down the street of cement brick construction but in fairly original condition sold 18 months ago for $380,000.00, better house but less oportunity for subdivision. A commercial shed (probably 50 -60 years old and not overly large) on 2 blocks with a transportable house behind the shed sold this year for $480,000.00. This one is across the street and down about 3 houses.

The vendor has told us previosly in discussion he would accept $280,000.00.

The vendor is not aware that we have inspected the house and I want the realestate agent to negotiate a figure that he is happy with before I put a name to any paper due to my friendship with him. Is this acceptable?

Given the amount of work that could be done to the house (but not necessarily needed immediately) I would like to offer around $250,000.00. Is this rude, I dont want to offend the vendor given our friendship. At the end of the day we would be happy to pay $280,000.00 providing we can get our development plan approved by council. Any thoughts on this, do I start at $250k and negotiate or just offer $280k with an accept it or I will walk.

Contract conditions
Is there an acceptable limit to conditions, my thoughts are:

subject to finance
subject to pest and building inspection
subject to council development approval (I do not want them to be aware of our plans as they may hold out for more money)
or subject to satisfactory clarification of definition of 2 lots on one title. (I say the second part because the vendor was not aware that there were 2 lots on the one title until the real estate agent did a title search. He is also not aware of what the 2 titles means). This may not raise as much suspision.

Any thing else we should add?

Sorry about the long winded post but trying to give as much information as possible.

thanks

Surely he'll eventually know it was you that bought it off him. If he feels like he got lower than what he really wanted for the property, after confiding in you about it, he'd probably be pretty cut.

If I was you, I'd go straight to him, have a frank discussion about what you want to pay, and why, and if he says he wants more than you're willing to pay, walk away. No need to lose a friendship over it.

Cut the agent out.

Explain to your vendor friend my you think its worth 250.

If he won't accept that at least you can get it for 280 less agents fees (so around 274.)

make a choice

the way I see it you have 2 choices. You can either try to get it for a cheap price with no conditions or you can pay more and have your conditions included.
There are too many buyers out there trying to scam everyone.

Dont cut out the agent- it could be exclusive with their agency. You go direct to the vendor and the agent will get paid regardless. If you saw the property with the agent, and you cut them out, you will both be liable later.
If they know you tried to cut them out, you can trust me you wont have a shot if anyone else is interested...

If it was me, i would put just the standard conditions in (not subject to council approval- no need for the vendor to know your plans) through the agent. Keep it as a clean business deal. If you want anonymity you can buy it in a trust etc (i believe a bareback trust is the instrument for this purpose). The vendor will feel he got a fair price as it was advertised through the agent to the general public and you can keep a safe distance.

Seeing potential where others dont is fine butc utting people out who are already involved, or trying to screw mates down on price face to face isnt going to work long term.

My two cents, rounded down that's free!

Hi all

Contract conditions

subject to finance

thanks

Sounds like a hard one to finance with the restrictions on rebuilding you mentioned. Perhaps get this part checked before you get too serious. Sounds like it may have to be done as a commercial loan with the zoning.

Sounds like a hard one to finance with the restrictions on rebuilding you mentioned. Perhaps get this part checked before you get too serious. Sounds like it may have to be done as a commercial loan with the zoning.

completely agree with Marty. If you want a good price- offer good terms.
You cant have it both ways, if the owners going to accept less than what they want, give them something in return- ie a secure (as much as possible) contract- short settlement, few as possible conditions.

Back