Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 shot down over Ukraine, 295 dead, 27 Australians dead

guys really!

Someone in this thread has said they have lost someone and you are talking about bodies lying around not looking like they have dropped 10k on the ground. Show some compassion and consideration.

Thankyou for all your regards it means a lot. My partner and I are very much in sorrow. It's hard to see she is gone, she was an amazing person who showed what she cared about belived in and loved. She died doing what she loved. Travel. My partner only spoke to her the day before the crash and had a massive chat about love life and their travels.

Thankyou to everyone your all wonderful.
Nick

If the plane had been shot down you would expect the wreckage to be spread over K's not contained in one little area, as it is on the video. Also a lot of the bodies seem too well intact to have fallen 10ks.

Why would you say that? It isn't like in the movies with a huge fireball.

One wing or the tail section damaged enough and the plane will hit the ground in one place.

All the conspiracy theories should start emerging shortly.

I'm very sorry for your loss Nick/Neeko.

Such a horrific thing to have happened.

I had met one of those killed on MH17, and although I didn't really know him, he was a colleague/teacher of a couple of my friends, he was well liked and respected. I feel sick thinking about how terrifying his (and all the other passengers') final moments must have been. And as a parent, I especially feel for those who lost children on that flight. Still hard to believe something like this is real. I can't fathom how anyone can blast a planeful of innocent people from the skies.

If the plane had been shot down you would expect the wreckage to be spread over K's not contained in one little area, as it is on the video. Also a lot of the bodies seem too well intact to have fallen 10ks.

The missile is designed to detonate a 70kg warhead when it reaches the proximity of the target. IIRC about 20 metres away.

I read the crash site is spread over a 15km radius with parts falling on a village, roads and fields.
Perhaps the main debris area shown is from where the fuel ended up.

Ruptly TV

Malaysia's Prime Minister's step-grandmother among the victims

For Malaysia's PM, MH17 was personal. Prime Minister Najib Razak's 83-year-old step-grandmother was among those killed.

But Mr Najib has been more cautious than Australia?s prime minister Tony Abbott in blaming Russia, saying Russian president Vladimir Putin told him in a telephone conversation that pro-Russian rebels did not have the capability to shoot down the plane.

But Mr Najib said he noted that Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko felt otherwise.

"We have become victims of an intense geo-political clash in the area," said Mr Najib, adding that Malaysia's priority is to find "hard and conclusive evidence" before concluding who was responsible.

Malaysia has told Moscow a safe corridor must be established so that disaster recovery teams can reach the crash site, including a team of 40 that has left from Kuala Lumpur.

Forty-four Malaysians were killed, including 15 crew members.

"Putin said he would use his influence to allow the team in and hoped that the Ukrainian president would agree to a temporary ceasefire," Mr Najib told reporters.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/mh17-tr...at-mistakes-20140719-zuqu1.html#ixzz37tvKDm8o

Hey neeko,

Sorry to hear,it would be devo.

Just to add,read up on the family that had relos gone on MH370.

Now other family have gone on MH17 :(

Sad at your loss but others have had worse as above.

My commiserations at this loss.

Cheers Spades.

I won't make a direct comment because I think the grief and anger cannot be meaningfully penned.

I was wondering today though, what is Russia's deal? They are an enemy of the west that is unusual, in so far as they pretty much look like your typical westerner i.e. white (yes let's not get into a race debate, I am talking broadly and know there are black, yellow and green westerners), I can't think of any historical humiliations e.g. China has a chip on its shoulder about opium and wants to settle the score, the space race was a circus show in hindsight anyway.... so with no real divisive issues why are they always so obstructive and why is it we are edging back toward WWIII?

I keep seeing images on tv of farmers, miners and ordinary Ukrainians making their way into a field of very tall sunflowers to search for the passengers and personal effects/debris. The stark contrast between the beautiful sunflowers and the grim task at hand struck me.

I looked up 'sunflower' and realised that the sunflower is rich in symbolism. It represents hope, happiness, faith, adoration and loyalty. The sunflower turns its face to the Sun and follows the path of the Sun all day.

I hope the following is not too maudlin.

Tribute to neeko's friend and the travellers:

Ah Sunflower, weary of time,
Who countest the steps of the sun;
Seeking after that sweet golden clime
Where the traveller's journey is done;

Where the Youth pined away with desire,
And the pale virgin shrouded in snow,
Arise from their graves, and aspire
Where my Sunflower wishes to go!

William Blake​

The sunflower represents a man who is bound to earth, but is pinning for eternity. The face of the sunflower follows the course of the Sun in the hope of reaching a land which is indifferent to frustration and restriction.

The sunflower symbolizes a man who is also a traveler
The sunflower counts the step of the Sun because it turns in the direction of the sun
the sunflower wishes to go to the golden world where everybody is free.
The sunflower seeks a world where the seeker stops and is at peace having reached his goal.

I hope Neeko's friend and fellow travellers have reached that golden land where they have found what they have seeked and are now at peace.

Thanks to everyone's messages. Today at hockey I'll be wearing #30 to pay respect to Emma who passed away at 30.

I won't make a direct comment because I think the grief and anger cannot be meaningfully penned.

I was wondering today though, what is Russia's deal? They are an enemy of the west that is unusual, in so far as they pretty much look like your typical westerner i.e. white (yes let's not get into a race debate, I am talking broadly and know there are black, yellow and green westerners), I can't think of any historical humiliations e.g. China has a chip on its shoulder about opium and wants to settle the score, the space race was a circus show in hindsight anyway.... so with no real divisive issues why are they always so obstructive and why is it we are edging back toward WWIII?

My guess... a feeling of loss over a fallen empire?

The empire of the tsars and the Soviets has now fallen to the level of a middle power with a struggling economy and heaps of social problems. People nostalgic of the communist era are bitter about their lower living standards while those who wanted democratic change despair at the rise of a new mafia that's no better than the old one.

Lose-lose. A strong undercurrent of anger, ripe for the picking by someone like Putin who promises to put a bit of pride back in all the gloom.

But the result is populism, ultra-nationalism, expansionism, despotism, repression of people with differences (media, intellectuals, artists, homosexuals, jews, etc?) - an explosive combination as we all know.

The West is the ideal scapegoat considering its role in the defeat of the Soviet empire.

80 Children dead, drunken Russian supported separatist scum blocking access to the site, looting bodies and using stolen credit cards.

Mounting evidence of direct Russian involvement, time to seriously ramp up the sanctions against them. The Dutch PM said it well, Putin has one last chance.

80 Children dead,The Dutch PM said it well, Putin has one last chance.

Hi

It is bad events like this that make me realise I shouldn't ever be a prime minister. I know if I was in control I would have taken very drastic measures already and would have declared war against Russia in hope that we also get back up from other countries, The Netherlands would surely back that up with all their losses. If I was in Abbott's position I would be considering what has happened as above and beyond the last straw...it's disgusting..

80 children dead regardless of what country, race or religion is making me absolutely sick. I think what has happened justifies cutting all economic ties with Russia and the UN to consider no further dealings with Russia...no words can express the way I feel and I just couldn't fathom how "neeko" is getting by knowing full well how this event has made me feel and I did not even know anybody on the plane.

Regards,

alicudi

Thank god you are not a prime minister of any country alicudi.

What happened is really sad. It is absolutely sick. My body is shaking when I think about those parents who lost all three children and their father. It is the living who suffer more.

However, starting a war is not an answer. This is a action of few stupid and dangerous idiots.

I read somewhere that those idiots thought it was ukraine's plane.
Malaysia-Airlines-Boeing-777-200.jpg

41188.jpg

There is a bit of similarity if you look at it from the ground.

Even if it is Ukraine's plane it is utterly wrong to shoot down a passenger plane. Still they are innocent people.

What happened is really sad. It is absolutely sick. My body is shaking when I think about those parents who lost all three children and their father. It is the living who suffer more.

However, starting a war is not an answer. This is a action of few stupid and dangerous idiots.

Malaysia-Airlines-Boeing-777-200.jpg

41188.jpg

Even if it is Ukraine's plane it is utterly wrong to shoot down a passenger plane. Still they are innocent people.

Yeah the similarities is that both are flying in the air!!!!

You couldn't get any more two different standard passenger planes

The plane was miles up in the air. Higher than the peak of Mt Everest. It was also cloudy so there would be no visuals.
It was a blip on a radar screen.
Not far from the crash site a civil war is being played out. Ukrainian forces are in conflict with separatist militiamen as a result of two Ukrainian provinces deciding to breakaway from Ukraine and ally with Russia.
Recently a separatist held city fell to the Ukrainian advance.
The Ukrainian forces have been using air support in the form of fighter bombers to attack infrastructure in the breakaway provinces and using transport aircraft to resupply their forces.
Reports suggest the separatist militiamen were attempting to bring down a military transport plane that their intelligence sources indicated was also in the area at the time. Reports suggest they or their supporters had already downed a number of planes in the preceding few days.

Yeah the similarities is that both are flying in the air!!!!

You couldn't get any more two different standard passenger planes

Really? You can't see the similarities between those two plane colors?

I think two other parties are more to blame than Russia alone.
1. Ukrainian government - why did they leave the air space open for business? Obviously money.
2. Malaysia Airlines - why did they put their passengers in danger in the first place? Obviously money again.

Back