Market Rental Review

Ahh gees Melbourne is immune to recessions, I forgot.

I thought the property mentioned was Perth CBD office space?

Asset said:
BTW I have done this game for years.........good luck, I'd rather keep tenants than have empty buildings. Have a look at the UK, thats we are heading

Really...welcome to the CIP sub-forum!

Have you got any direct commercial property investments at present?

Last edited:
Asset a rachet clause is so it cant go down, it takes precedence over a declining market.

and by the sounds of it where dazz is the market is rising - or has risen, hence it is good.

Actually a ratchet clause is a clause where usually the annual rent review is either CPI or % which ever is the greater. At Market review is at lease option to renew for a further lease term specified within the lease contract. The ratchet clause does not apply. So you are incorrect, as market reviews are at options usually. Market Review = Current Market Rent per sq metre at that date. So if the market has declined then the rent will go down.

Umm wow in most commercial lease contracts. Especially retail.

In this declining market, commercial tenants will be looking to down size. I would suggest to waiver the review or apply a CPI review and let the rents remain as current status. OR otherwise empty buildings have a habit of producing no incomes. Ahh gees Melbourne is immune to recessions, I forgot.

BTW I have done this game for years.........good luck, I'd rather keep tenants than have empty buildings. Have a look at the UK, thats we are heading

Asset

I would hate to be a tenant of yours with only a market review clause in a declining market.

You would try to stiff me by waiving the market review(no cut) or worse try to apply a CPI review which still may be an increase in a falling rental market
or let the rents stay at the current status.

I would be screaming blue murder to get my market review and rent cut.

No wonder you had empty units

Pete

Then there's other commercial landlords who are quite happy to leave a building sitting there for a year without a tenant until someone finally ponies up the dough they are asking for. Everyone's different.

Then there's other commercial landlords who are quite happy to leave a building sitting there for a year without a tenant until someone finally ponies up the dough they are asking for. Everyone's different.

Very true. There is one example in Sth Melbourne here that has been on the market and for lease for approaching two years.

I guess that depends a lot on the landlords LVR. Don't you think so? If the landlord has big loan repayments then they would not want to keep their building vacant for too long. Even if that means to lease at a reduced rent!

But if the landlord have little or no loan to pay, it gives them the flexibility to negotiate the lease on their terms most of the time.

Cheers,
Oracle.

That's my point Oracle - every landlord has their own personal situation. What Asset does with his commercial properties is not what the guy with the building next door will do.

Actually a ratchet clause is a clause where usually the annual rent review is either CPI or % which ever is the greater. At Market review is at lease option to renew for a further lease term specified within the lease contract. The ratchet clause does not apply. So you are incorrect, as market reviews are at options usually.

The optimal word in all of that is "usually". It may be usual for your Leases, but it is certainly not in ours.

Our Lease alternates every year between fixed and 'at market'. We have multiple 'at market' reviews during the term of the Lease.

Also, don't know what your ratchet clause states, but ours is very clear. Once the rent is at a certain level, it never goes down. The very worst scenario is the rent rises 5% every year.

For example, if the 'at market' review takes place, and the rental market is deemed to have tanked, and say is evaluated to have gone down 20%, it automatically rises 5%.

If on the other hand it is deemed to have risen 220%, like for instance now :).....then of course the ratchet clause is not necessary and it increases 220%.

As with everything, it all boils down to the very specific and minutae wording and phrases within both the specific contract and over-riding governing laws.

Words like 'generally' and 'usually' and 'normally' and my personal favourite 'standard' have no bearing whatsoever.

Oh Cr*p I read the post and then saw this......If i now hit the turps and get drunk and forget everything am I okay:eek:

This post is confidential and contains legally privileged information and/or copyright material of TPFKAD. You shall not read, quote, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on this post. You are not authorised to **** with this post. TPFKAD has an angry team of QC's with a bad attitude just itching to sue the livin' bejesus out of ya. By all means - have a crack.

Interesting.....there are always other who will have a crack!

My take on this is very short term thinking in the current market. Perth is going down like a lead balloon....as times get more desperate....people get more desperate.

Having a commercial property vacant now in Perth is going to be suicide. Particularly, if you can service the debt!

Dazz....I have said this before I do not share your philosophies of business....I for one will look to Perth in the next 6-12 mths. Will be some fabulous buying if what I am reading is correct. Already mining has been hit....the flow on to other areas will follow shortly. Already some organisations are going into voluntary administration...Dazz I trust you have a 1 year bond (surety) to mitigate this??

Time will tell.....

Oh Cr*p I read the post and then saw this......If i now hit the turps and get drunk and forget everything am I okay:eek:

Indeed madam. You are quite correct.

Madam......hmmmm....last I looked I was a guy...LOL..LOL!

Why start the clock now ?? You have been applying a different business philosophy for quite some time now.

Quite correct....."viva la difference"....isn't it great that we live in a free country!

......looking forward to the next year....it see opportunities everywhere in the low end residential market...

Lets hope your assumptions on commercial property proves correct....Valad just layed off more people and they have one of the larger commercial portfolios in OZ....

lease dates

TPFKAD,

Agree with your approach re adhering to the lease - it's the only objective interface between 2 engaging parties (albeit never quite as unambiguous as we'd all like, excepting lawyers who derive their income from the ambiguity)

We inherited a mediocre lease on our CIP also - no ratchet and no deposit. First 5yr term expires in the next while, and the tenant needs to exercise the option by notice at least 6 months before the term expiry. We'll be watching that date like a hawk. I'm ofcourse happy to keep them in the building, but the new contract will be quite a bit superior....

Sure, there's a chance the tenant will walk, but I'm a firm believer in 'own the building, and the tenant will come' - and it always helps to carry contingencies with you on the journey for the odd rental gap, so that you're never forced to sell.

Best of luck with bringing forward the retirement.

CE

Agree with your approach re adhering to the lease - it's the only objective interface between 2 engaging parties

Not much else you can do. No point making it up and stumbling along as you go, shooting from the hip. Takes about 2 minutes to get shot down in flames going down that path.

We'll be watching that date like a hawk.

Agreed - dates are critical. No room for error.

What type of CIP's are there in the Gamma quadrant ?? :)

Commercial reality

Quite correct....."viva la difference"....isn't it great that we live in a free country!

......looking forward to the next year....it see opportunities everywhere in the low end residential market...

Lets hope your assumptions on commercial property proves correct....Valad just layed off more people and they have one of the larger commercial portfolios in OZ....

Give me commercial and retail tenants thank you

Having initially started with residential Sashi I can vouch that it sucks..... You can continue if you like to play with state governments who have your hands tied behind your back, with the residential tenancy acts while they pick your pockets via land tax if you like.

From viewing your past posts you may have 12 properties but as it has been said before, "one good ASX 150 tenant in a commercial property who pays the single unit land holding land tax component plus all outgoings beats you hands down every time".

Yes the risks are greater but so are the rewards. If your comfort level is bottom fishing so be it that is the beauty with property we can each fly our own kite. It certainly is better than sucking lemons with an investment advisor who has put you into a diversified portfolio of managed shares:rolleyes:

This thread makes me map out how the market bursts --- greed and canning nature of some people, such as lawyer. Politicans such as Alan Carpentor chose to go to the poll 1 month after Barnett was put in the liberal leadership. People chooses Chritmas time to pray for other people's ignorance. Does not matter how I am desperate to succeed, I would not choose down this road to succedd on greed or other people's suffering. A win should be on a fair ground.

Back