Matching tiles

We've decided not to put in a little cabinet over our untiled patch as honestly there's no point in a room that small, so instead we're going to attempt to get tiles to match that section. It is about 60x25cm and I was planning to remove any cut tiles around the edges first so at least it is a patch with complete tiles.

Its a 'terazzo' I think, 20cm white tiles with a diamond of another colour in each corner. Dead boring stuff, I'm sure everyone has seen it. However, the small diamonds are slate blue (eww) and the grout is very dark blue (eewwwwww too). Whoever did the grouting has it so recessed that it collects dirt amazingly efficiently and is very hard to clean so I was just planning to get charcoal grout and effectively fill in over the old grout (and make my cleaning life easier) rather than try and find blue grout.

But the diamonds - I'm country so can't pop down to a tile place to check, you reckon manufacturers still make slate blue tiles or would I be better off getting something boring like black and just using tile paint on all the other little blue diamond tiles?

And no, I'm not redoing the entire bathroom, the layout and fittings in there SUCK and it could use a complete refit, this is just a patch job because I don't have several thousand dollars lying around for a new bathroom and somewhere to live while it is being done.

There used to be a place in Perth called the "Tile Library"
They held in their stock old, odd and unusual, hard to find, not longer in production tiles. ideal if you just wanted to do as you want.
Dunno if they are still around, maybe check the web.
cheers

sheesh you chose a hard one. hubby sent me on a fruitless search to match 10 year old white tiles to try and patch the bathroom - as we were changing the layout.

i knew it was a fruitless search - and so did every tile shop assistant who had a chuckle with me.

but i did the search to prove to hubby that it was a waste of time - and now, instead of a bodgey patch job i have the tiler coming on monday to put all nice new (and fashionable) tiles in :D

Keith Fagg in Bayswater in Melbourne may be able to help. You could probably email them a pic for them to see what they have.

Tools

Maybe blue will come back into fashion for bathrooms!

Damn I wish we had the funds and accommodation to gut that horrid little room and replace the lot.

Finally got around to getting some tiles - turns out you can't get octagonal tiles anymore, the guys at the tile shop had a big whinge about that since they get asked for them a lot.

So we bought just plain 20cm white floor tiles and some 10cm blue decorative tiles with the thought of cutting them into octagons and cutting the blue ones into quarters. We only need to tile about 1 square foot of floor after all ...

The blue is a few shades off. I'm doing it this weekend, we'll see how it goes.

Back